• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The New Measurement Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

calc7

Established Member
I'm a semi-frequent long-distance traveller, living in London, yet I seem to have seen this train in so many different places over the last year or two. (Sheffield, York, Manchester, Huddersfield, Derby, Rugeley WCML, Euston this evening, and many more). When I saw it earlier today, I wondered if anyone sees it this frequently, or if it's just an ongoing matter of luck for me?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
When I used to live in North East England, I used to see it on a pretty much weekly basis, on its' weekly Saturday diagram through Newcastle. I used to run into it at Carlisle once in a while as well, and I still come across it at least every couple of months or so now that I'm in West Midlands; In Birmingham, or Banbury, etc.

The NMT runs a fairly fixed set of diagrams that repeat quite frequently; every couple of weeks or so; so it's no surprise that quite a few people see it around the place a fair bit.

cdonnigan

Its was in newcastle last Wednesday i think it was. it was coming out of sunderland station heading towards newcastle as i was walking across the wearmouth bridge.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
It is stabled in Newcastle most weekends, so its not surprising that it will be seen travelling to or from the north east regularly.

Somone kindly posted its default weekly diagrams on here recently, you can search for them if you're interested.

Eagle

Established Member
...you can search for them if you're interested.

I can't; the vBulletin search doesn't like words of less than four characters (such as 'NMT'—I'm thinking it's unlikely that the post in question used its Sunday name), and it wouldn't be much use anyway as if you search for two words it throws up every thread that contains those two words whether or not they were in the same post, which is sometimes less than useful.

Rant over :P

Lrd

Established Member
I'm a semi-frequent long-distance traveller, living in London, yet I seem to have seen this train in so many different places over the last year or two. (Sheffield, York, Manchester, Huddersfield, Derby, Rugeley WCML, Euston this evening, and many more). When I saw it earlier today, I wondered if anyone sees it this frequently, or if it's just an ongoing matter of luck for me?!

Your lucky!

I've only seen the NMT once! As it was passing through Southampton Central.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
On the searching, you can use this format on google:

nmt site:railforums.co.uk

i.e. search for nmt, but only on the site railforums.co.uk

Hydro

Established Member
I see it all the time ;)

It's going to get a hell of a lot more predictable soon, it's dropping it's 16 weekly cycle and going back to it's old 2 weekly cycle.

There is a pattern it follows, but damned if I can remember it. It's second home is Heaton, so Newcastle is usually a good place to see it.

Crossforth

Established Member
I see it all the time ;)

It's going to get a hell of a lot more predictable soon, it's dropping it's 16 weekly cycle and going back to it's old 2 weekly cycle.

There is a pattern it follows, but damned if I can remember it. It's second home is Heaton, so Newcastle is usually a good place to see it.

I saw it in King's Cross the other weekend and wondered if I showed them my NR ID, would they let me on but sadly, I didn't have time.

Hydro

Established Member
I doubt it, all visits need to be prebooked.

Old Timer

Established Member
This is the last version I had, albeit somewhat old now.

WEEK ONE
Monday
1Q36 Heaton to Derby via Hexham, Carlisle, S+C, Leeds (reverse), then either Diggle, Manchester Picc (reverse) and Diggle, or Hebden Bridge and Manchester Vic. (reverse) and Hedden Bridge OR
1Q37 Heaton to Derby via Hexham, Carlisle, G+SW, Kilmarnock (reverse), G+SW, Carlisle, Shap, Crewe.
Tuesday
1Q28 Derby to Derby via Alrewas, Lichfield(reverse), WCML slows, Euston(reverse), WCML slow lines, Crewe (reverse) OR
1Q22 Derby to Crewe via Alrewas, Lichfield(reverse), WCML slows, Euston(reverse), WCML slow lines, Crewe, Wilmslow, Manchester Picc.(reverse), Wilmslow
Wednesday
Normally no booked duty, but once a quarter, it will run to/from Liverpool:
1Q23 Crewe to Derby via Liverpool Lime Street(reverse), Crewe(reverse), slow lines, Liverpool Lime Street(reverse), slow lines, Crewe, Stafford, Lichfield and Alrewas
Thursday
1Q16 Derby to Old Oak via Leamington, Banbury, Didcot and Reading
Friday
1Q18 Old Oak to Plymouth via Reading and the Berks & Hants
1Q19 Plymouth to Paddington via the Berks & Hants and Reading
1Q21 Paddington to Derby via Reading, Didcot, Banbury and Leamington
Saturday
1Q18 Derby to Heaton via S+C, Carlisle and Hexham

WEEK TWO
Monday
1Q42 Heaton to Derby via Doncaster West yard(recess), Newark, Peterborough, Kings Cross(reverse), Peterborough, Grantham, Nottingham and Spondon
Tuesday
1Q26 Derby to Glasgow Central via Crewe, Shap, Beattock
1Q27 Glasgow Central to Ayr
Wednesday
1Q28 Ayr to Glasgow Central
1Q28 Glasgow Central to Crewe via Beattock, Shap
1Q27 Crewe to London Euston via Trent Valley and WCML fast lines
1Q27 London Euston to Derby via WCML fast lines, Trent Valley and Crewe(reverse)
Thursday
1Q52 Derby to Derby via MML and St.Pancras(reverse)
1Q53 Derby to Heaton
Friday
(no booked duty - used only if required)
Saturday
(no booked duty, but if used out of Derby on Friday, will run to Heaton as 1Q34)

WEEK THREE
Monday
1Q24 Heaton to Derby via Berwick, Edinburgh, Glasgow Queen Street(reverse), Edinburgh, Berwick, Newcastle, Durham, York, Rotherham
Tuesday
1Q28 Derby to Derby via Alrewas, Lichfield(reverse), WCML slows, Euston(reverse), WCML slow lines, Crewe (reverse)
Wednesday
Thursday
1Q25 Derby to Derby via Stoke, Macclesfield, Stockport(reverse), Macclesfield, Stoke, Norton Bridge, Stafford, Wolverhampton, New Street, Coventry, Rugby, Northampton and return
1Q17 Derby to Old Oak via Bromsgrove, Bristol, Taunton(reverse) and Bath
Friday
1Q20 Old Oak to Derby via Didcot, Newport, Swansea(reverse), Newport, Bristol Parkway, Charfield, Ashchurch, Bromsgrove
Saturday
1Q34 Derby to Heaton

WEEK FOUR
Monday
1Q07 Heaton to Ferme Park via Doncaster, ECML, Kings Cross(reverse)
1Q08 Ferme Park to Derby via Kings Cross(reverse), ECML, Doncaster, Leeds(reverse)
Tuesday
Wednesday
1Q26 Derby to Glasgow Central via Crewe, Shap, Beattock
1Q26 Glasgow Central to Crewe via Beattock, Shap
1Q27 Crewe to London Euston via Trent Valley and WCML fast lines
1Q27 London Euston to Derby via WCML fast lines, Trent Valley and Crewe(reverse)
Then special duties - for example:
Thursday
1Q11 Derby to Heaton
Friday
1Q12 Heaton to Heaton via Berwick, Edinburgh, Fife, Dundee and Aberdeen(reverse)
OR
Thursday
1Q30 Derby to Crewe via Crewe, North Wales Coast and Holyhead(reverse)
Friday
1Q20 Crewe to Newport via Shrewsbury and Hereford
1Q20 Newport to Derby via Hereford, Shrewsbury and Crewe(reverse)
Saturday
1Q34 Derby to Heaton (doesn't run if Aberdeen trip operates)

Data - courtesy Freightmaster

Hydro

Established Member
I'd be surprised if it's changed a great deal from that. Once a diagram works (however well /gripe) it tends to stick like crap to a blanket.

Status
Not open for further replies.