• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The North Lincolnshire Rail Netiwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark62

Have a look at The North Lincolnshire Rail Netiwork rail videos on You tube. A multitude of lines have been faithfully recreated for train simulator 2016.
All PC gameplay takes place at native 4K and is uploaded to YouTube with the option of full HD viewing.
The majority of lines were closed in 1970 in a series of ruthless train closures. Now you have a chance to relive and see railways form a bygone age.
This is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbG62Sg4kf53u35PdCSHScg

Happy viewing

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DasLunatic

I've had it for a while now - it is a very nice route. There is a very large collection of scenarios for it, and all are very nice drives.

Mark62

This is probably the best route add on I have seen. I realise it's far from finished but everything so far is super. Some scenario are a real challenge. I play at native 4K and most routes look outstanding.
I actually sent an email to the route creator this week to thank him for all his work. We had a good chat. I only got the route last weekend but I've not stopped driving it.
My father used to drive some of these lines when he was with great central/ LNER. I'm going to show him the videos this weekend when I see him.
I'm sure he will remember Cleethorpes and the turntable. His regular duty was Orgreave to Froddingham loose coupled coal trains. And Sheffield Victoria to Cleethorpes holiday specials via bring.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Wow. That looks stunning.

It's a long time since I've played Train Simulator, but I'm tempted to reinstall it just to have a play with this.

Mark62

It really is a joy to play. The AI is totally interpreted. It's much better than add ons costing £20 or £30.
It's also optimised which many add aren't. I play at 4K and the frame tugs occasionally. That's understandable.
I can't recommend or praise this add on highly enough.
As you can see it really is a Labout of love from the route creator

DasLunatic

Wow. That looks stunning.

It's a long time since I've played Train Simulator, but I'm tempted to reinstall it just to have a play with this.

If you do, feel free to pop by the scenario competition and enter :)

Mark62

The Hope Valley line has now been added and it looks suoerb. It's only from Hope to Manchester at present but please take a look at Chinley Station as it looks magnificent. iLl be posting a video very soon. It's in the North Lincolnshire channel.
This is another free route that's much better than the paid ones.
The route isn't finished yet but what has been done so far is excellent.

Tomnick

Established Member
Nice scenery in the videos, but I'm afraid that the representation of the infrastructure, most of all the track layouts and the signalling, really didn't do it for me.

Mark62

Thanks. I think there is only so much that can be done with the program.mit has severe limitations.
My dad used the drive/fire trains in the North Linclonshire area in the 50s. He thought that some of the signal boxes were on the wrong side of the tracks at some locations.
Given the limations of the program and the reliance of so many other dependancies from other programs I think the north Linclonshire a
Scenarios are particularly good.
My dad said that the representation of cleethorpes and the run the Grimsby in the morning 50s was very accurate. He also said that Gainsborough Central was accurately modelled as was the structure at New Holland Town and it's extension to the Pier.
A major issue with any modelling around the Humber area will be the sheer number of lines . Dad said that there were lines absolutely everywhere back then.
Given the scale of the task it's impossible to so every single station individualally. And most have the structures have been wiped away now by closure so there is little to work on.
TS Is a deeply flawed program and some of the payware routes are of shocking quality. I find stuff from steam workshop to be quite poor but add ons from UKTS tend to be relatively good.
The new Hope valley route looks promising but there is a long way to go.
The chap who has done the North Linclonshire routes has spend around 11000 hours so far on it. The next update is out soon.
I look forward to that.

Last edited:

Tomnick

Established Member
It's mainly the inaccuracy of the track and signalling layouts and the failure to observe the basic principles of the time that troubles me the most - facing connections into sidings which would almost certainly have been accessed only by a trailing move, signals plonked seemingly randomly in the middle of nowhere (most locations would've at least borne a vague resemblance to the 'textbook' distant-home-starter layout, with nothing otherwise in the section between boxes unless there was an IB), and the omission of the distinct MS&LR architecture (though I accept that the latter could well be work-in-progress). It just makes me despair, not just with this, but other routes and even more so in the model railway world, to see such little attention given to such a fundamental part of the whole thing.

Mark62

It's mainly the inaccuracy of the track and signalling layouts and the failure to observe the basic principles of the time that troubles me the most - facing connections into sidings which would almost certainly have been accessed only by a trailing move, signals plonked seemingly randomly in the middle of nowhere (most locations would've at least borne a vague resemblance to the 'textbook' distant-home-starter layout, with nothing otherwise in the section between boxes unless there was an IB), and the omission of the distinct MS&LR architecture (though I accept that the latter could well be work-in-progress). It just makes me despair, not just with this, but other routes and even more so in the model railway world, to see such little attention given to such a fundamental part of the whole thing.
The North Lknclonshire is a work in progress. It's impossible to model everything accurately as these lines don't exist anymore. And the program itself places massive limitation. I agree that there are signals randomly and innacuratly placed.
Above all, this is a video game and not real life and must be treated as next update is due very soon
Don't forget as this is open source you can edit any add ons etc yourself via rwtools. Errant signal placements can be removed easily if one so desires.
The AI on the add on is excellent and this is the one thing that many paid for addons get terribly wrong with false red signals etc.
I feel that the base program is very poor and hasn't changed much modifying that lies with dovetail and they have little interest in improving their product. This leaves anyone who does develop mew routes, working with an out of date product that would have been flawed even when originally written. But in 2016 it's badly out of date.

Sacro

The chap who has done the North Linclonshire routes has spend around 11000 hours so far on it. The next update is out soon.

Over 458 days? I very much doubt that. Assuming you need to spend 1/3 of the day sleeping you're talking almost 2 years solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.