• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The oddity of Metrocar 4022

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWTrains

Hello everyone.

In March 2017, Metrocar 4022 derailed at the East End of Gosforth Depot. From my knowledge the driver had done a SPAD and the points switched underneath the Metrocar, completing bending the car at a 80-ish degree angle.

The unit was sent to Bristol Barton Hill in June/July 2017, presumably for repair to the central section. However, the repair never happened and it had sat in sidings at Barton Hill for just over 2 years, with the central section mysteriously removed and never seen again. Then it was announced the Metrocar would be scrapped and salvaged for parts given the life expectancy of the fleet and the cost of the repair.

However, recent developments have occurred and it was moved from its usual sidings at Bristol to the back sidings, where it was apparently loaded onto a low-loader and is now at th Nemesis Rail Facility in Derby.

I’ve created this forum specifically for people to post photos of 4022 when it was derailed, for confirmation on if it has moved to Derby, and if anyone does, photos of it at Derby/on a low loader.

Thomas.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MetroCar4058

Hello everyone.

Then it was announced the Metrocar would be scrapped and salvaged for parts given the life expectancy of the fleet and the cost of the repair.
Thomas.

It was never 'announced' that this unit would be scrapped. I'm not sure what the situation is but we must remember that the cost isn't really an issue here because DBTW destroyed the unit before the handover to Nexus. There were legal and contractual issues to be discussed. DB had to return all the units in the same state as they were given to them and Nexus couldn't care less how much DB had to fork out to get what they were entitled to/wanted.

But yes, I personally think 4022 is gone.

cactustwirly

Established Member
It was never 'announced' that this unit would be scrapped. I'm not sure what the situation is but we must remember that the cost isn't really an issue here because DBTW destroyed the unit before the handover to Nexus. There were legal and contractual issues to be discussed. DB had to return all the units in the same state as they were given to them and Nexus couldn't care less how much DB had to fork out to get what they were entitled to/wanted.

I imagine DB bought it themselves hence it went to Barton hill (DB's own facility owned through subsidiary Arriva Traincare)

TWTrains

It’s a shame since 4022 was a proper kitted refurb and not just a makeover.

Did it move from Bristol recently? You can’t see it from passing trains.

cosmo

Nemesis appear to be a repair/overhaul company, though they also have storage sidings.

Could it possibly be that Nexus want it repaired and returned to service, or just somewhere else to put it?

Paul_10

There is apparently a photo of it somewhere on the net in Derby. If we ever see the photo, it will be interesting too see if the articulation section was put back into place or not.

SeaKing

There is a photograph, taken on 16th October 2019, on wnxx.com of 4022 on a low-loader at the Nemesis Rail premises at Burton. Does anyone know why it has been moved from Barton Hill? Is it likely to end up back on Tyneside?
As posted previously.
The picture is more of a end view so not able to see Articulation section.

TWTrains

I think 4022 might have been (if it even was) moved in order to make space at Bristol, but it still doesn’t explain why it went to Burton of all places.

TWTrains

As posted previously.
The picture is more of a end view so not able to see Articulation section.

Do you have this photo? I would like to see it when it’s neither derailed, on wheelskates, or in a siding in Barton.

TWTrains

I found these images on Instagram, could this be some of the only images of 4022 on its way to Bristol?

Attachments

• 896E09D8-C731-4A7E-B87A-14EC8AD766B2.jpeg
    896E09D8-C731-4A7E-B87A-14EC8AD766B2.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 312
  • 0BB40575-E153-4F5B-A0A1-D08D43DDAE28.jpeg
    0BB40575-E153-4F5B-A0A1-D08D43DDAE28.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 284

TWTrains

Hello all, just a small update.

Photos have emerged on Facebook of the unit at Burton (not my photos attached). It’s in a sorry state and is evidently not going to be coming back.87918A0F-CEEA-426E-B840-2FD93D942235.jpeg6E8A657C-4E23-403D-8836-FCE97D94E712.jpeg

TWTrains

Hiya everyone, I’ve been sent the full report into the incident, if anyone is wishing to have it sent over I will duly do so.

Scott M

Looks like it has been used for parts. Bet the driver got a slap on the wrist for causing a write-off.

TWTrains

Here is the full joint Nexus/DBTW report into 4022. I’ve had to redact some personal information out of the document, which is why this is delayed, but I hope this helps people.

At approximately 21:00 on Friday 30th March 2017, _________ and _________ both boarded Metrocar 4022 which was coupled to Metrocar 4072 and stabled at 13 East (13E) berth A at Gosforth depot.
4.2. The _________ verbally instructed _________ to move cars 4072 & 4022 from 13E to 7E via shunting movement within the east end of the depot limits.
4.3. The _________ had not been informed of the instruction from the _________to _________.
4.4. The associated vehicle (Metrocar 4022) had been booked in service for a saloon door fault, the vehicle was also being prepared to be moved into the inspection shed (7 Road) for an ‘A’ exam.
4.5. _________ set off from 13E A with Metrocar 4022 leading and Metrocar 4072 trailing without following the correct protocol or contacting the central shunter via the loudaphone communication system.
4.6. Both _________ & _________ accompanying were moving towards the East end crossover with Metrocar 4022 leading and 4072 trailing. When _________ (Driving) noticed that East 28 (E28) signal was at danger, he stopped driving immediately.
4.7. In travelling as far as this, the leading bogie of Metrocar 4022 (‘A’ bogie) had travelled facing point into East 1612 points. In doing so, the front wheel set of Metrocar 4022 (‘A’ bogie) pushed the switch blades across allowing Metrocar 4022 to continue to travel towards the East end crossover.
4.8. The switch blades at E1612 points then sprung back across to their original position.
4.9. This resulted in all of Metrocar 4072 wheel sets being set for 13 road, two of Metrocar 4022 wheel sets (‘C’ & ‘B’ bogie) being set for 13 road and the other wheel set of Metrocar 4022 (‘A’ bogie) being set for 15 road.

4.12._________ alights from Metrocar 4022 and boards Metrocar 4072._________ remained in Metrocar 4022. then _________ drives from Metrocar 4072 back towards 13 road with Metrocar 4022 trailing.
4.13. Metrocar 4072 travelled towards the shed road doors at 13 road east end, at this point Metrocar 4022 bogies are travelling down two separate roads (13 and 15 road).

4.16. At this point the rearmost bogie on Metrocar 4022 (‘A’ end) which is trailing, the associated wheel set rides up and onto the rails between 15 and 14 road.

4.18. This caused the wheel set on Metrocar 4022 (‘A’ bogie) to derail into 14 road four foot and in between 15 and 14 road.
4.19. The derailment of the wheel set on Metrocar 4022 (‘A’ bogie) caused the wheel set on the ‘C’ bogie to twist and derail whilst trying to navigate the curvature of the track. In doing so the wheel set on the ‘C’ bogie pulled the adjacent rail from 12 road into towards 13 road.

4.22. This also causes damage to the associated sleepers, moving them from their original position.

4.24. The OHL span wires from 13 roads in section DE(c) were damaged due to the tension caused by the pantograph during the derailment.
4.25. The OHL tripped due to the span wire electrically shorting out to the roof of Metrocar 4022. Due to this this Metrocar 4072 & 4022 comes to a stop.
4.26. _________ alights from Metrocar 4072 and contacts the _________ informing him that there has been a derailment at the east end of the depot and to stop all moving traffic
4.27. The_________ then proceeded to cap all points at the east end of the depot and ensured no further authorised movements took place.
4.28. The _________ immediately contacted the _________ & _________ to inform them of the incident...

Attachments

• Metrocar 4022 - FOI.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 196
Last edited by a moderator:

TWTrains

Hello again everyone. I’ve had a look at photos and also asked around for what parts have been removed from Metrocar 4022 at Burton. So far the list is as follows:
Passenger Saloon Doors
Cab electronics (various)
Pantograph
Windows
Seat Covers
Tail and Front Lights
Metro In-Carriage Maps
CCTV cameras
Middle Vestibule + Fire Extinguishers (these were removed at Bristol, so no idea where they are now)

That’s all I know of. I suppose it is coming back....in bits .

Also, while not 4022, there has been discussion of another certain long-term OOU Metrocar, 4075. That I can confirm is undergoing recommissioning works and is expected to return to service in the mid-summer.

Originally posted in the Tyne and Wear Metro Photography Group on Facebook.
Parts from 4022 including front end arriving at depot for spares.
Screenshot_20200310_220920.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.