• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The old days of HSTs from Fratton - do they ever stillv happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
HSTS are not MUs I would say more like loco-hauled stock. You may get one come to Fratton on match days but not sure if they still do this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbouring

HSTS are not MUs I would say more like loco-hauled stock. You may get one come to Fratton on match days but not sure if they still do this?

The away crowds these days wouldn't quarter fill a HST set. A 153 would be pushing some days.

There are occasionally some loco hauled railtours and the departmental train comes round every few weeks, rattling windows around Portsmouth and Southsea with its pair of 37's.

TheWalrus

Established Member
The away crowds these days wouldn't quarter fill a HST set. A 153 would be pushing some days.

There are occasionally some loco hauled railtours and the departmental train comes round every few weeks, rattling windows around Portsmouth and Southsea with its pair of 37's.
Maybe they don’t do it anymore was a few years ago when I saw it.

nicholasbasset

They don't anymore :(
C43s are not my fave locos by themselves, but HSTs are my favourite trains. So it was merely symantics as a way to get them in to my faves list. BTW, they were classed as DMUs when introduced, hence their C252, 253 and 254 classes, but after time, carriages became inter-swapped with the C43s and also one or other of the C43s got inter-swapped in to and out of train-sets making a mockery of the 'permanant-set' so it was dropped after a few years.

6Gman

Established Member

When introduced HSTs were considered to be MUs - Class 253 - and with set numbers 253001 etc. Soon became clear that more flexibility was needed (not least when photographs appeared of unit 253007 at one platform, adjacent to ... er ... unit 253007 in the next platform :D ) as power cars - in particular - were swopped around as necessary.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can't see how HST's could have been regarded as multiple units as they can't work in multiple in the traditional sense of two units being joined together.

nicholasbasset

I can't see how HST's could have been regarded as multiple units as they can't work in multiple in the traditional sense of two units being joined together.
No different to a Voyager or Pendalino or any of the multitude of modern slopy-ended EMU/DMU 3/4/5-coach stock that has no corridor connection.
MU=At least semi-permanently-coupled stock (carriages and motive power) where the loco is not removed routinely during or at the end of each journey or end of each day and stabled separately and where the rake of carriages are not routinely broken-up.
We all know though that this is a muddy area, so I know what you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.