• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Olympic Torch Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnellzug

Established Member
What? oh no!, you say, not more Olympics. Well, just to report that it appears that the Official support vehicles for the Torch appear to be provided, on the west country leg at any rate, by Stagecoach Wales with those Wright Streetlite things, I think they're called, aren't they. I across CN12 ARO just yesterday (no, i didn't go to cheer at the Torch specifically, i just happened upon the bus*.)

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 60
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
Stagecoach are providing the support vehicles for the Olympic Family. There are 10 Streetlites in this livery for the torch relay. Not sure if its actually Stagecoach Wales running this part of the route, or if the vehicles just carry the legals for their future home (they are intended for Merthyr Tydfil to compare against Solo SRs but have been seconded to London since delivery for various Olympic duties.)

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Currently based at West Ham depot AFAIAA - the legals are for their future home. Not sure who is driving them around at the moment. They are also for use around athletes village during the games.

TP

anthony263

Established Member
Well this explains what happened to some of our new vehicles then.

Truth be told these vehicles are somewhat better than the solo SR (A bus I still hate)

but I dont think they compare to the mercedes-benz engined solo's which do seem to be much better at acelerating than these things which is aying something considering the age of some of our solo's

anthony263

Established Member
I don't know, my local bus company has 5 Streetlites and some are used on a service which runs 2 junctions down the A1(M) and back, and those things do fly!

I admit some of them do although the one I based my remarks on has been suffering reliability problems although it seems to have been sorted so perhaps another ride is in order.

mbonwick

Established Member
I wouldn't be so sure about Stagecoach ordering any more Streetlites....apparently there are unresolved issues over build spec and quality, delivery dates and support packages among other things.
Hardly inspiring given Stagecoach made it clear that these were a test batch to see what Wrightbus could do.....

Equally I can't see there being much enthusiasm for the Solo SR due to the well documented problems at/with Optare.

I believe these Streetlites are actually temporarily based at the mothballed (but now reinstated) Upton Park garage, which is exclusively housing Olympic vehicles. Not sure where the maintainence is carried out though.

MCW

considering Team GB will be based at Loughborough University during the olympics, perhaps this means we might see some streetlites in and around Leicestershire?

Temple Meads

Established Member
I saw an official Olympic Relay 12 plate BMW X5 at Exeter St Davids yesterday, no pictures, but it was in a similar livery to the bus.

mbonwick

Established Member
considering Team GB will be based at Loughborough University during the olympics, perhaps this means we might see some streetlites in and around Leicestershire?

Yes, there will be streetlites around Lufbra, with all the campus road closures that are happening it will be chaos.... :lol:

CC 72100

Established Member
I saw the buses (and cars) first hand on Sunday evening through exeter. Has a suspicion they were going to be ending up with stagecoach following the Olympics, as they have their seat moquette. The buses look quite cute to me :P

bus man

I saw the buses (and cars) first hand on Sunday evening through exeter. Has a suspicion they were going to be ending up with stagecoach following the Olympics, as they have their seat moquette. The buses look quite cute to me :P

The actual convoy consists of 47 vehicles, including I understand some MET police vehicles

pemma

Veteran Member
Lloyds TSB, as one of the sponsors, get to send a vehicle ahead of the torch. When it was going through Knutsford they had some kind of vintage bus painted in a Lloyds TSB livery.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Truth be told these vehicles are somewhat better than the solo SR (A bus I still hate)
I had a ride on one of Western Greyhound's Solo SRs from St. Columb to St. Austell not long after they entered service. Quite a good ride I thought. Have never been on a Streetlite so can't judge them.

Dave

Yew

Established Member
Is it bad I was expecting the Busses to be borismasters?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Lloyds TSB, as one of the sponsors, get to send a vehicle ahead of the torch. When it was going through Knutsford they had some kind of vintage bus painted in a Lloyds TSB livery.

Yes, that went through Keighley. I have a pic which I'll try and upload at the weekend. I suspect it's a non-British bus.

pemma

Veteran Member
Yes, that went through Keighley. I have a pic which I'll try and upload at the weekend. I suspect it's a non-British bus.

According to a bus blog:

There are also two ex Maltese buses being used as promotional vehicles throughout the relay, they include SKR 801 which is a Bedford SB with a Maltese body built by Debono in the Maltese style it was previously registered EBY 582 in Malta.

A second ex Malta vehicle is SKR 616G also a Bedford SB with a Barbara body built to the Maltese style which was previously registered FBY 667 in Malta however when the vehicle first arrived in the United Kingdom was registered VIP 667 but re-registered to SKR 616G soon after.

bus man

Hunslet Leeds and Sheffield yesterday -sheffield had what are been reported as the biggest crowds so far a superb atmosphere

DSCN1039405733.jpg

DSCN1039405798.jpg

DSCN0033.jpg

34D

Established Member
I had a ride on one of Western Greyhound's Solo SRs from St. Columb to St. Austell not long after they entered service. Quite a good ride I thought. Have never been on a Streetlite so can't judge them.

Dave

I've driven all three of the recent offerings in the c.30 seat category - Solo/solo SR, streetlite and primo. The Solo/Solo SR are by far the best in my opinion. Streetlite cab was uncomfortable (and poorly laid out imo) and the primo can't seem to go over 45mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.