• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Olympics/Advanced Fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel3982

Does anyone know if advanced fares have been suspended for services into London for the period around the Olympics?

I'm wanting to book from Penzance to Sheffield on Thursday the 19th July, which is within the 12 week booking period now, however on both South West Trains and First Great Western it's not giving me the option of any advanced fares on these days which makes it substantially more expensive! For example the week before on the Thursday the same train I want to get from PNZ to LON is only £15...

Fares on the 17th are cheaper but I noticed on the South West Trains website they're advertising the selling of Olympics tickets as being available now for the period from the 18th July until September, is this why I can't get the tickets I want.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if advanced fares have been suspended for services into London for the period around the Olympics?

I'm wanting to book from Penzance to Sheffield on Thursday the 19th July, which is within the 12 week booking period now, however on both South West Trains and First Great Western it's not giving me the option of any advanced fares on these days which makes it substantially more expensive! For example the week before on the Thursday the same train I want to get from PNZ to LON is only £15...

Fares on the 17th are cheaper but I noticed on the South West Trains website they're advertising the selling of Olympics tickets as being available now for the period from the 18th July until September, is this why I can't get the tickets I want.

I don't think the Olympics is relevant to your problem. 19th July is not yet open for SWT, according to the booking horizons page, indeed TPE is the only TOC open until 22nd so far:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/booking_horizons.html

I'd check again next week.

daniel3982

I don't think the Olympics is relevant to your problem. 19th July is not yet open for SWT, according to the booking horizons page, indeed TPE is the only TOC open until 22nd so far:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/booking_horizons.html

I'd check again next week.

Cross Country and EMT both seem to be open for advanced fares on the 19th, and indeed I booked for the Saturday down to Cornwall on Sunday, so unless SWT only release week by week then they should be open by now.

The problem is in the meantime the XC price goes up which would be my alternative while the EMT price also goes up but I can't be sure what time I'm going to be able to get to London so can't book either.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yep the above website is definitely wrong on AXC & EMT as both have advanced fares open for the 19th July, Also says SWT are available upto the 15th when they're actually open to the 17th! Ahame as a central database of when advanced fares are available is a great idea, if it works properly!

A rather ominous warning at the bottom here too re: the Olympics.

Special Events
The availability of Advance tickets could be affected by special events taking place along the route of the journey. Please check before travelling.

island

Veteran Member
FYI: the ticket type you're referring to is advance, not advanced. Whether advance fares are advanced in sophistication is anybody's guess :)

dzug2

Yep the above website is definitely wrong on AXC & EMT as both have advanced fares open for the 19th July, Also says SWT are available upto the 15th when they're actually open to the 17th! Ahame as a central database of when advanced fares are available is a great idea, if it works properly!

The website isn't updated daily - sometimes only weekly so can be a little out of date

daniel3982

Checked again today and advance tickets are still only available upto the 17th July (they have been for 3 days) and not beyond. Getting increasingly worried that they're not available on the 19th due to the Olympics, meanwhile EMT tickets have gone up quite a lot in that time as they're selling like hot cakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.