• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Oscars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Meryl Streep triumphs as Mrs T in Hollywood - with 17 nominations and three Oscars is she the greatest actress of all time?

The Artist may have garnered a clutch of awards but this seems to have escaped Cineworld in Falkirk- they have only just started showing it and then only hidden away at the back of the programme.

Well done to Christopher Plummer at 82 winning best supporting actor - old "Wellington" is still going strong.:p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I'm not a movie buff but I saw the Iron Lady and was astonished at what a seamless performance she gave. I was a child when Thatcher was ousted but she was utterly convincing. I'm glad she won Best Actress for it.

I didn't even think the film was anything special but Streep really made it watchable. It's always fascinating to watch anyone, in any walk of life with a genuine talent.

It sounds like I'm gushing but I was really impressed.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Meryl Streep triumphs as Mrs T in Hollywood - with 17 nominations and three Oscars is she the greatest actress of all time?...
Not IMHO. She is always Meryl Streep with different accents. But there is no doubting that her "product" fits well in the Hollywood "product". Has she ever done a big stage production?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The Artist may have garnered a clutch of awards but this seems to have escaped Cineworld in Falkirk- they have only just started showing it and then only hidden away at the back of the programme.

I went to see it last week, here in Lincoln, and me and my friend were the youngest people in there by about forty years. I really enjoyed it, though I'm not sure my friend was so convinced, despite it having been her idea to see it :lol:

In my opinion, it thoroughly deserved its Oscars. Something very different.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't thinik The Artist has ever, or will ever, be shown in Llanelli!

I try and ignore the Oscars. Too much luvvie back slapping for my liking!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I thought it would be an "arthouse" type film, but it's on at my local ODEON multiplex which shows nothing but mainstream films.

We don't get many mainstream films down ere these days either...mostly kids films now.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
We have a new Mulitplex on the way, apparently. Things may start looking up when that opens.

Lincoln is currently having a bit of a cinema revival, in the opposite direction as the old Ritz Cinema is being restored and re-opened by a community group. Ticket prices will be reportedly much lower than the Odeon Multiplex, but how successful it will be remains to be seen - but I hope very!

Butts

Veteran Member
Lincoln is currently having a bit of a cinema revival, in the opposite direction as the old Ritz Cinema is being restored and re-opened by a community group. Ticket prices will be reportedly much lower than the Odeon Multiplex, but how successful it will be remains to be seen - but I hope very!

How much is a Full Price Ticket at your Odeon - I mean with no discounts or Bargain Tuesdays or Orange Wednesdays etc.

It's £8.30 at Cineworld Falkirk - I have a Cineworld Unlimited Pass (£14.99pm)

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
How much is a Full Price Ticket at your Odeon - I mean with no discounts or Bargain Tuesdays or Orange Wednesdays etc.

Adult price is £9.00. They do have an 'off-peak' price before 5pm Mondays to Thursdays at £7.60. Typically, the most convenient timings are always after 5pm.

WestCoast

Established Member

My local cinema is an independent and only charges £4.50 for an adult ticket, but they don't half show some rubbish!

It's £7.75 peak / £6.65 off-peak at the ODEON in Blackpool, but the student/senior price is less.

Best cinema I've ever been to would be Screen 1 at the Empire Leicester Square in London. Quite an experience and not too expensive actually (£9.99 if I remember correctly!).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Adult price is £9.00. They do have an 'off-peak' price before 5pm Mondays to Thursdays at £7.60. Typically, the most convenient timings are always after 5pm.

£9 is pretty expensive, as above I paid £9.99 at the Empire in the West End!

Butts

Veteran Member
My local cinema is an independent and only charges £4.50 for an adult ticket, but they don't half show some rubbish!

It's £7.75 peak / £6.65 off-peak at the ODEON in Blackpool, but the student/senior price is less.

Best cinema I've ever been to would be Screen 1 at the Empire Leicester Square in London. Quite an experience and not too expensive actually (£9.99 if I remember correctly!).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

£9 is pretty expensive, as above I paid £9.99 at the Empire in the West End!

I think it depends on the level of competition - Falkirk = 0

Falkirk Cineworld is (or was) actually dearer than Edinburgh or Glasgow Cineworlds :p

Clip

Established Member
Went to the Imax in Waterloo the other week - £18 a ticket.. And to be honest star wars in 3D wasnt that much cop. Fell asleep twice :)

KBD1

I think Meryl Streep is a very good actress, definetlely worthy of her previous nominations. Pity she has only won a few:o

Status
Not open for further replies.