• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Pendolino that didn't get home for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsf734

Walking by Nuneaton station this Christmas morning I was surprised to see a Pendolino in platform 4. I assume it must have failed on Christmas Eve and will be there until Friday until it makes it home.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks like this was the train in question:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C72608/2019-12-24/detailed

1A60 1747 Liverpool Lime Street to Nuneaton

This service is partially cancelled

This service was cancelled between Nuneaton and London Euston due to a problem with the on-board safety systems (MT).

Two paths were later put in to try and get the set to either Wembley or Crewe but both of those were cancelled.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O74748/2019-12-24/detailed
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O74759/2019-12-24/detailed

38Cto15E

Would this be a problem that the Rugby Thunderbird couldn't help?
FWIw I do not read of many Pendolino's being total failures.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Would this be a problem that the Rugby Thunderbird couldn't help?
FWIw I do not read of many Pendolino's being total failures.

Even if the Rugby Thunderbird is available it still has to get the Pendolino to a depot before an engineering possession starts or the staff shift ends.

bnsf734

It was still there today with a Thunderbird on the North end. I think the Thunderbird was there yesterday but wasn't 100% sure. It is stabled on the up main but as there are no trains running today its location shouldn't matter. Tomorrow will be different so they will need to shift it.

It's visible on Opentraintimes as 5A60.

bnsf734

The station is locked up although that wouldn't stop anybody determined but they would need to scale a high pallisade fence to get on the track.

Steddenm

Still there at 1841 on Boxing Day. Green aspect towards Atherstone though.

Screenshot_20191226-184114_Chrome.jpg
(Image shows screenshot of Traksy website with 5A60 - a failed Avanti Pandelino in platform 4)

jamesst

I'm not totally sure to be honest. It is just something I thought was the case. Can any staff confirm or deny?

Well at my toc most terminal ends (with buffers) has stock stabled and switched out overnight.
However any stock stabled mainline (through lines) which is normally during possessions, blockades etc must have at least lit portable tail lamps at either end.

Dren Ahmeti

I'm not totally sure to be honest. It is just something I thought was the case. Can any staff confirm or deny?
“390197 is out-stabled at Nuneaton due to technical problems whilst working 1A60 1747 LIV-EUS”.
As far as my understanding of the rule book goes, trains can be stabled on running lines (with extra precautions, such as a portable tail lamp).

Last edited:

Carntyne

It was stabled on the Up Fast. Dump all the air out of the train and stick the parking brakes on. Done!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It still seems to be there, everything is having to go around it on the Up Slow, it's now "become" 5H88 so presumably will head off to Longsight before too long?

It is entirely possible the train could have broken in such a way as to leave it immobilized

bnsf734

I saw it this morning just after 0900 at Nuneaton Station and it was indeed 390107 with 57308 attached to the North end. All over the holiday whilst it was parked the normal taillights were lit at the South end.

A crew was getting it ready for its journey whilst I was there. I saw somebody get into the back cab of the 390 and there was a driver in the 57. It finally left at 0940 on 5H88 to Longsight, presumably for an appointment with the big hammer!

That is certainly the longest time the up fast has been occupied by the same train for a few years!

Raul_Duke

As long as the signaller knows it’s there, it’s screwed down, attached to something else that’s screwed down or scotched, and it’s got reds on each end then it’s all good according to the rule book. Similar to leaving a portion of a divided train “in section.” (Which is unlikely to happen nowadays.}

It’s more what your definition of “stabled,” is than “running line.”

This looks like it’s just failed but no one can be bothered to recover it until after Christmas. But it’s all irrelevant because there’s no trains. Obviously they wouldn’t let this happen on a busy Monday morning for example.

bnsf734

Postscript to this story. I was in Birmingham today waiting for a train to Birmingham International and my train was formed of 390107, so it didn't take long to fix it.

AndrewE

Established Member
I imagine some faults can be fixed in minutes but need to be done in a depot.
I don't think that follows.
If something can be done within minutes it is certain that there's not much to be done beyond plugging in a laptop. Simply undoing anything physical (with locknuts, or castellated nuts and split pins for example) and re-fixing will take a quarter of an hour. I bet even wrestling a burst brake hose off and re-fitting a new one will be a similar length of time.
All of these could be done "in the field," but the time it would take to get someone there - with the correct part - and the possession needed on the adjacent line would probably count against it on today's railway. (Apart from the laptop job of course, and even then with a slimmed-down Longsight staff I wonder whether they could afford to jeopardise their shift deliverables to do a fire-fighting/rescue job that probably isn't in their contract?)

Status
Not open for further replies.