• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The phone booth on the HST's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember these from days gone by? At a time when the red phone boxes took 5p and 10p coins, I believe the HST phones took a 50p coin as a minimum. Did all the coaches have them? What year did they debut and when were they taken out of use? What type of "aerial" system was used - transmitters from the coaches or at the power cars?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I remember using the phone in the buffet car on many occasions, but I always used a phone card!

bengolding

Cant go into technicals myself but Midland Mainline HSTs had these several years back in coach F, between the buffet and coach E. What year were they removed on the MML?

driver9000

Established Member
Some 158s had payphones onboard too. They were located in the corridor next to the gangway of the non-driving end. You can still see where they were on some sets.

I remember using the phone on an HST once, it only took a phonecard sold at the buffet counter and the reception was terrible! I think the aerial was mounted in the roof of the buffet car.

wintonian

Established Member
They also had them on the 442's in the vestibule outside first class only taking credit cards IIRC.

scotsman

Established Member
170s had them - can't any evidence of that other than the signs on the ScR examples

Skimble19

Established Member
365's had them, a few still have stickers up pointing in the direction of where they were..!

Established Member
All 158s for RRNE Transpennine had phones adjacent to the disabled bog.

A certain Leeds steward (who is still there to this day) knocked one off the wall with his drinks trolley.

The original Gatwick Express sets were fitted with them. The introduction of the mobile telephone killed on-train telephones off.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
319/2s apparently had phones fitted opposite the disabled toilet, they have been removed though.

wellhouse

I recall phones in EC Mark 4 First Class and on MML HSTs.

I do not remember any on-train phones taking coins. I believe they all accepted BT Phonecards, which were sold in the buffet. Many BT kiosks accepted these cards, which were pre-pay and sold in diferent denominations.

Striker

A certain Leeds steward (who is still there to this day) knocked one off the wall with his drinks trolley.

It's because of really useful nuggets of information like this why I'm a member of this forum.

I remember the phones. Though like wellhouse, I dont remember any ones that took coins, all the ones I saw were phonecard phones.

laird

The Intercity Cross Country Mk2 Buffets had the phonecard operated telephones just inside the first class seating area.
I think they ran off an analogue mobile phone and that there was an article on TV talking about cloning of analogue mobiles that talked of an on train payphone suddenly appearing and being used in the Far East. Something of a shock as the train in which it remained fitted was on the Great Western!

Flamingo

Established Member
Their removal was one of the reasons that Mobile Phones were issued to FGW TM's. I have been told. On issue, TM's were told to allow punters to use their mobiles for urgent calls as the on-board phones were removed, according to TM's who were working then.

richw

Veteran Member
i remember them on the HSTs and recall that they couldnt be used for about 20 miles through cornwall, i used to travel regularly with my gran, and she used them to phone my grandad to collect us from the station, although no reception for the last 20 miles so she had to give him a lot of notice to collect us

jon0844

Veteran Member
Did the 322s used on the West Anglia route have then, as I'm sure I remember going from Cheshunt to Liverpool Street and seeing some trains with phones.

AFAIK they only took phonecards, or allowed you to use the BT calling card (remember those?).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Didn't Voyagers used to have public telephones on them?

CosherB

Established Member
WCML trains used to have them. I remember the first time I saw one (probably back in the 80s) I couldn't resist phoning home just to tell the wife I was phoning from a moving train! Remember, this was a long time before mobile phones were available so it really was a novelty!

Welshman

Established Member
Amazing that in less than 30 years we've gone from the novelty of telephoning from the train to Quiet Coaches where we can [in theory] be free of it!!

Helvellyn

Established Member
That I can recall, the following had payphobes fitted: -

• Mark 1 RBRs (Refurbished examples for use on Anglia services)
  • Mark 1 RMBs (3 refurbished examples for use on CrossCountry services)
  • Mark 2F RFBs (Located just inside the First Class accommodation, as has been said)
  • Mark 3 TFs (Mainly one TF per Great Western set, plus one TF in East Coast Pullman sets)
  • Mark 3 TRFBs/TRSBs/TRBs (Loacated by the buffet for the use of Standard Class passengers)
  • Mark 3B FOs (11083-11101 in the space of one luggage rack)
  • Mark 3A RFMs (Located by the buffet for the use of Standard Class passengers)
  • Mark 4 FOs (Usually one per set)
  • Mark 4 RFMs (Located by the buffet for the use of Standard Class passengers)
  • Class 158/159 units - located by the disabled loo
  • Class 166 units
  • Class 365 units
  • Class 442 units - phone booth by the toilet in First Class
  • Class 488/2 units - loacted in the space of one luggage rack in the TFOLH

I can't remember, but didn't the number of the phone contain the coach or unit number? The phones were all BT, and took a BT phonecard, so I assume that BR was alloacted a series of BT Cellnet numbers that would have allowed them to allocate a number by coach/unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.