• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The poshest S.P.A.D ever...!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
I'm sure that is an approaching train I can hear in the background after they mentioned running through the set of points. As for doing everything in such a rush... ;)

Sprog

Established Member
I here nowt, just interferance.......

.........anyway, whats your point?? :?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ROFL! :lol:

If only all conductors were like that, everbody would probably get complimentary tea and crumpets at the Virgin shop :P

Sprog

Established Member
laverack222 said:

If only all conductors were like that, everbody would probably get complimentary tea and crumpets at the Virgin shop :P

Huh! :?

Its a driver....and a bobby (aka, signalman)...........not a conducter! :?

(for those of you who have missed the point, the funny bit is not nessesarily the lingo etc, but the fact that the Bobby and Driver are getting on so well)

Usually, its: Signalman: "F*#kign driver"
and driver: "F#*king signalman!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
spm_43030 said:
laverack222 said:

I realise that! I was just wondering about conductors too :P

Sprog

Established Member
:lol: , if the conductors where that way inclined, theyd be playing god save the queen over the PA and insted of a quiet coach, thered be a 'Croquet Coach' ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

"ohhhh, your right signalman, i could simply murder a cup or earl grey!"

Techniquest

Veteran Member
spm_43030 said:
laverack222 said:

(for those of you who have missed the point, the funny bit is not nessesarily the lingo etc, but the fact that the Bobby and Driver are getting on so well)

Usually, its: Signalman: "F*#kign driver"
and driver: "F#*king signalman!"

It usually ends up being a similar thing said by passengers when it comes to New Street signalling, lol.

Point understood about the signaller/driver relationship, although in all fairness the signaller at Norton Junction box yesterday seemed happy enough to slightly delay our entry to the single line EB yesterday to Reading so he could have a quick chat with the driver...

Tomnick

Established Member
FGWFan said:
Point understood about the signaller/driver relationship, although in all fairness the signaller at Norton Junction box yesterday seemed happy enough to slightly delay our entry to the single line EB yesterday to Reading so he could have a quick chat with the driver...
Not wanting to bring the wooden spoon out - but was this a totally random 'gossip' chat, or was it a 'large animal reported within lineside fence between xxx and yyy; proceed with caution' safety-critical type chat? Unless there's been some recent modernisation - I think I'm correct in saying that this line is worked Electric Token Block too? So the driver would have to stop to collect the token too.

Had some pretty disgusted looks from passengers on the North Norfolk (and these are just leisure passengers, not the average commuter in a rush!) because I've not been able to get the home board off quickly enough for them, or because I've had to stop the train to give the driver permission to pass the section signal at danger and to operate the level crossing manually and all that... Needless to say, very few of them know anything about what they're criticising!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well, we stopped there (unlike the token exchange at Clarbeston Road EB), the signaller seemed perfectly happy to stop us for a period of time to chat. Couldn't tell what was being said or anything, this being on a 180. As we were running late (departed HFD on time at 1134, by Reading we were 16 on the arrival time, somehow recovering one minute on arrival times between Oxford and Reading), even by just a few minutes, we didn't need a chatty signaller this time. We ended up getting held up at other single line junctions further down, which kept delaying us too.

Tomnick

Established Member
Don't think many signalmen would delay an already late train purely for a quick 'chat' - they'd have to explain the cause of the further delay :!: . There's a whole load of reasons why a train may be stopped at a signalbox - an emergency speed restriction in the section ahead, reports of trespassers or wandering animals that require the train to pass through under caution, track circuit failure requiring the train to be 'talked past' the protecting signal...maybe even working by pilotman was in force, which would certainly explain the lengthy wait!

Just...please don't blame the signalman without knowing what's going on :P .

Sprog

Established Member
My sigman vs. Driver thing is only, again, abit of light-heartedness. ;) :lol:

Theres always been abit of an issue between them, but often they get on very well! :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.