• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Prediction League: Euro 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
I wondered why you posted in this thread so much :lol:

I've been keeping an eye on both prediction leagues run so far as I'll probably have a good go at winning the wooden spoon next season .... :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
I've been keeping an eye on both prediction leagues run so far as I'll probably have a good go at winning the wooden spoon next season .... :lol:

Something that might please you...

Scunthorpe United have been selected for five matches in TPL rounds to date. They are undefeated in those five matches, and have not even conceded in the last three of those:

Wycombe 1-1 Scunthorpe
Scunthorpe 4-2 Tranmere
Exeter 0-0 Scunthorpe
Scunthorpe 1-0 Rochdale
Scunthorpe 0-0 Brentford

...unfortunately however, none of those matches were against bigger opposition, and three of those five were relegated. So the above isn't as good as it could be.

Last edited:

andrew bell

I enjoyed the competition with you valenta in the Semi-final, it was wider than I thought it would be (I did think it would be won by one of us by less than 3 points)

I am tempted to copy SS4 and his predictions :lol:

I wont tho, just to make it interesting

Spain 0 - 1 Italy
Cards 7
Goals 1
First Goal 49 (Motta)

SS4 may the best person win, and either way it has been a great competition to be involved in, I will enter the new prediction league for the next season :D

SS4

Established Member
SS4 may the best person win, and either way it has been a great competition to be involved in, I will enter the new prediction league for the next season :D

Definitely :D. It'll be my third "season" in the main thread. If you're interested there is the rail uk fantasy football league too

Ivo

Established Member
A far cleaner - and one-sided - final than expected has given us our Champion!

Both players won one of the bonus categories, with SS4 winning cards (after the match returned just two) and andrew bell winning goals (given there actually were goals in the match), but it was the actual result - a 4-0 thrashing in Spain's favour - that means SS4 scores two points for Italy's number of goals and therefore walks away as Champion! He started badly, and didn't improve much as the competition progressed - but a bit of luck at just the time turned things around and since then only one winner has really looked likely. And commiserations to Andrew for deservedly making it this far, but a loss of form at the wrong time has proved terminal.

Thank you all for playing. On to August then - please do join us for the main competition! :)

SS4 is our Champion. Congratulations to him.

Too tired to write anything else at this time - will do the rest later.

SS4

Established Member
A 4-0 thumping and I manage to win because Italy were outplayed :lol:
It was certainly closer than I'd have liked it to be and well played to you too andrew bell :D

I was helped by circumstance in that the scores were wiped after the group stages and it was mainly thanks to England's inability that turned it around

Will my luck skill hold out in the main league? Unlikely but definitely worth a go.

Ivo

Established Member
Code:
Match:                 SS4 [1]  2 - 0  [2] andrew bell
Bonuses:               SS4 [1]  3 - 3  [2] andrew bell
First Goal:            SS4 [1] 00 - 49 [2] andrew bell
OVERALL:               [B]SS4 [1]  5 - 3  [2] andrew bell[/B]

It was too bad for Andrew that the First Goal only applied as a tie-breaker and not a bonus in its own right, because otherwise he would have won. Otherwise, SS4 scores two points for correctly predicting Italy's tally of zero, and also wins on Cards (two overall - six against seven); Andrew wins the Goals bonus (four overall - one against zero).

Therefore, SS4 wins the Final 5-3. Congratulations to him. If there is a World Cup 2014 version (long way to go yet ;)), he will be Defending Champion should he take part in said competition. It just goes to show that a bad start doesn't necessarily condemn one to failure - and that in cup competitions, anything can happen. And thank you to all eleven of our players for taking part.

See you all in August! I hope you enjoy my choices for first two fixtures (which I haven't done yet)...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Well done, SS4. An unexpected but very worthy winner.

Special thanks to Ivo who kindly spent a lot of his own time hosting this event as I was too busy to be able to do it.

This thread will be taken off sticky shortly and I will put the main game back on. If you have enjoyed this mini-cup then you are more than welcome to join the main game. You do not have to enrol yourself, just post your entries when the fixtures are out . The first round of the new season will be the weekend of 18th August.

We are currently reviewing our rules so if you have anything that you wish to be considered, please feel free.

valenta

Well done SS4. A huge thanks to Ivo for organising the game as efficiently as BB21 does in the main game - it requires a lot of effort.

Ivo

Established Member
Thank you to bb21 for letting me do this! :p And of course to all the participants for taking part. If I have learned anything from this, there are two things that stand out, which are (a) one result can change everything and (b) to not attempt anything like this in Notepad again! :lol:

As a suggestion, perhaps stickying the Review for a brief period may help? And then sticky the main thread when the process has been completed?

SS4

Established Member
Thank you to bb21 for letting me do this! :p And of course to all the participants for taking part. If I have learned anything from this, there are two things that stand out, which are (a) one result can change everything and (b) to not attempt anything like this in Notepad again! :lol:

As a suggestion, perhaps stickying the Review for a brief period may help? And then sticky the main thread when the process has been completed?

Excel is your friend :lol:

Anyway, my thanks too to Ivo for organising the whole thing and updating it with remarkable speed

Ivo

Established Member
Excel is your friend :lol:

It isn't when trying to compile all the data in a format that would work on here without the need for attachments :(

If I did it in Excel, as I did the analyses towards the end of the Quarter-Finals, I could have done everything in five minutes - but I would still have needed to manually enter data to get it to show easily on here. If that wasn't a problem I would have simply used formulae to show the results and turned the game into a high-tech battleground where computer analyses would have won or lost the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.