• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Prediction League: Euro 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew bell

ROUND TWO:

Tue 12/06 E121 Greece 1 v 2 Czech Republic
Tue 12/06 E122 Poland 1 v 2 Russia
Wed 13/06 E123 Denmark 1 v 1 Portugal
Wed 13/06 E124 Netherlands 1 v 2 Germany
Thu 14/06 E125 Italy 0 v 1 Croatia
Thu 14/06 E126 Spain 1 v 1 Ireland
Fri 15/06 E127 Sweden 1 v 2 England
Fri 15/06 E128 Ukraine 0 v 1 France

18 goals
14 Cards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
I'll just make a quick clarification in relation to the first game. A straight red will count double. If a player receives a red for two yellows he is considered to have received the equivalent of a straight red or two yellows and there his cards are worth two points. This means the first game is worth six points - one straight red, one red for two yellows, and two individual yellows.

The first League Table will be up at roughly 2200 tonight.

--------------------

ROUND TWO:

Tue 12/06 E121 Greece 1 v 2 Czech Republic
Tue 12/06 E122 Poland 1 v 2 Russia
Wed 13/06 E123 Denmark 2 v 1 Portugal
Wed 13/06 E124 Netherlands 2 v 2 Germany
Thu 14/06 E125 Italy 1 v 1 Croatia
Thu 14/06 E126 Spain 3 v 1 Ireland
Fri 15/06 E127 Sweden 1 v 1 England
Fri 15/06 E128 Ukraine 0 v 0 France

21 goals
19 Cards

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Deduct both the Poles and the Greeks ten points! Stupid things. Gimme my points back! <(

Ivo

Established Member
Deduct both the Poles and the Greeks ten points! Stupid things. Gimme my points back! <(

Whatever :lol:

You'll be pleased to know that - as things stand - you won't be finishing the night on zero. You'll be on one instead!

sonic2009

Established Member
I'm a little bit confused. Who gets the six points available from Poland vs Greece?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well it's 2-1 to Russia at the moment.. It could all change the points scoring ;) I see a few of you want the win at the scoreline above, and some want the draw.

Ivo

Established Member
I'm a little bit confused. Who gets the six points available from Poland vs Greece?

No-one gets them. The "six points" refers to the card count, so after the first game the number of cards shown, for TPL purposes, is six.
The first table is up.

andrew bell leads the way at this very early stage with seven points out of a possible ten, followed by Temple Meads who has somehow managed one five-point score and one zero-point score. The top three are all newbies (or almost-newbie in the case of third-place gnolife) to the TPL - whereas two of those tying for eighth place are regulars, and as for the one person who is yet to register a single point...

So far the card count stands at six points and the goals count stands at seven.

Plenty of matches to go yet in the Group Stage, so anything can happen.

Finally, a quick reminder to submit your predictions for the second set of Group Stage matches not later than 1600 on Tuesday.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Whatever :lol:

You'll be pleased to know that - as things stand - you won't be finishing the night on zero. You'll be on one instead!

I stand by my words. <(

... and you're wrong.

Ivo

Established Member
I wonder if submitting the Round Two scores that early may have been a little naïve judging from how the Czechs were torn apart :?

sonic2009

Established Member
I wonder if submitting the Round Two scores that early may have been a little naïve judging from how the Czechs were torn apart :?

That's why Im waiting until Monday night :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Ivo

Established Member
Same here, what's the betting my/our broadband goes down on Monday night?

You have until Tuesday afternoon so that's no excuse ;)

Like I've said, in event of emergency, send me a text message. Obviously that only works for those who actually have my number though (such as yourself). Although that actually presents me with a disadvantage because I can't use the back door method!

Ivo

Established Member
Holland vs Denmark was a very poor showing guys :p

Between the 11 of us we scored a net total of three points - all for suggesting that Denmark would find the net precisely once! No-one gave them a chance.

Ivo

Established Member
Two 1-0 results on Day Two - one predictable, one not-so-predictable - have shaken things up a bit, with sonic2009 taking full advantage of his predicting a low-scoring affair between Germany and Portugal (and a dismal showing all-around in the previous game) to leap up to second, becoming the only player to have as yet scored one five-point haul and one three-point haul in the process, while andrew bell and gnolife maintain their positions in the top three as the newer players continue to dominate proceedings. By contrast, the majority of established names continue to struggle, with TPL founder bb21 having scored just one point from the first four games.

So far we have had nine goals and thirteen card points - so several card predictions have failed already!
Looks like I shall be relying on bonus points here :(

It's not over yet ;)

It's still possible to progress to the Knock-Out phase even if you come dead last in the Group Stage (bb21 take note!) if you do well in the Quarter-Finals. Just don't expect to have a good Seeding for said phase.

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
After todays shocks, Im glad i havent posted my round 2 scores yet.

Ivo

Established Member
I'm hoping for a six goal thriller ;)

Compare that to everyone else...

0-0, 1-1, 2-1, 1-0, 2-2, 1-0, 1-1, 0-0, 1-0, 1-0

No-one fancies Italy to win, and only two others have suggested that there will be more than two goals!

Spain vs Italy does not usually result in a thriller. Come to think of it, anyone vs Italy does not usually result in a thriller.

Italy will have to attack though, I can't think they can rely on a defensive formation like Portugal tried to do

Very true - Spain would simply overpower them. Even the team involving Maldini, Buffon, Cannavaro and others from six or so years ago would have struggled.

Compare that to everyone else...

0-0, 1-1, 2-1, 1-0, 2-2, 1-0, 1-1, 0-0, 1-0, 1-0

No-one fancies Italy to win, and only two others have suggested that there will be more than two goals!

Spain vs Italy does not usually result in a thriller. Come to think of it, anyone vs Italy does not usually result in a thriller.

That's because Italy tend to play boring defensive football. So it may be that Spain try to break them down, which they are more than possible of doing

sonic2009

Established Member
Looking at the Spanish team, it looks like a 4-6-0 formation.

sonic2009

Established Member
At this rate its a bad day at the office for me :(

Ivo

Established Member
After a slow start of just two points from the first three games atomicdanny has come from seemingly nowhere to jump to the summit of the table, where he is joined by the mainstream competition's current champion newbie babs. andrew bell meanwhile has finally lost the top spot that he has held since the first match on account of his having managed only one three-point haul, while the player that held second place at the end of Day Two, sonic2009, has fallen dramatically after a pointless pair of matches. We now have a situation in which the top six are separated by just two points, so there is still everything to play for. At the other end, bb21 continues to prop up the table, although he did at least manage to increase his tally four-fold after today's results

After six matches we have had 15 goals and 23 cards. This means that, amazingly, everyone is out in relation to cards; only one person even predicted a score of 20, never mind any higher! So, although I shan't attribute these points to the table until tomorrow, I can already state that for all his failures so far, bb21 has already won the six bonus points on offer for cards, with three players tied for second with predictions of 18.

Also, to simplify things, I will use bb21's scoring system for bonus points, i.e. all players in any one position will score that position's correct number, with subsequent positions being skipped as applicable. It's easier that way. So best of luck to anyone progressing beyond the Quarter-Finals if the top four after Round 3 all have exactly the same statistics! :lol:

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
Damn, although I reckon those of you have submitted round two already will be wanting to change your predictions but cant :P :)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
At the other end, bb21 continues to prop up the table, although he did at least manage to increase his tally four-fold after today's results.

Wow! Four-fold? Thank you for your generosity.

The Euro is doing a good job at being rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.