• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Prince Charles'" Speech

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Established Member
So named because the Queen has just pulled out of reading it, but I suspect its content will become a discussion in due course to warrant a thread:

The Queen has pulled out of reading the Queen's Speech at this year's State Opening of Parliament, Buckingham Palace has announced.

This will be the first time since 1963 that the Queen will have missed this constitutional ceremony, which sets out the government's legislative plans.

Prince Charles will deliver the speech on Tuesday for the Queen.

The 96-year-old monarch has mobility problems and has had to cancel a number of recent public appearances.

Buckingham Palace had been saying the Queen hoped to attend, but has now confirmed that she will not go the ceremony in Westminster, because of "episodic mobility problems".

A statement said the had been decided in consultation with her doctors - and she had reluctantly decided not to attend.

It follows the Queen missing events at Easter, including the Maundy Service, and the announcement that she would not host royal garden parties this year.
The thanksgiving service for Prince Philip in March has been the only public event outside of her royal residences that she has attended so far this year.
The State Opening of Parliament marks the start of the parliamentary year, with the Queen's Speech setting out the agenda of the government and the laws that it wants to introduce.

The speech is usually read out by the monarch, as head of state, with the Queen only missing it twice during her 70-year reign, in 1959 and 1963, because of pregnancies.
On those occasions the speech was delivered by the Lord Chancellor, but the Prince of Wales will stand in for the Queen this year.
There have been adaptations of the State Opening in recent years - with the Queen not wearing the heavy Imperial State Crown or ceremonial robes and there was a more scaled-back ceremony last year because of Covid restrictions.
But this will mark the first time in 59 years that the Queen will not have attended.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
I'm starting to think planning all these events for the Jubilee may have been premature. To have now pulled out of the State Opening of Parliament makes me fear she is much frailer or sicker than is made public. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if next year its being given by King Charles III.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I'm starting to think planning all these events for the Jubilee may have been premature. To have now pulled out of the State Opening of Parliament makes me fear she is much frailer or sicker than is made public. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if next year its being given by King Charles III.
He might not take his first name when he is King - King George VII or King Philip anyone? :)

DanNCL

Established Member
The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this was the Queen going "I'm not reading out this sh*te, Charles can do it"!

Joking aside, I do hope Her Majesty is ok, although I agree with other posters that she may not have that long left. She certainly seems to have deteriorated much more rapidly after Philip died.

He might not take his first name when he is King - King George VII or King Philip anyone? :)
I read somewhere ages ago that he will be King Something-that's-not-Charles. I can't remember what the chosen name would be, though (and it was so long ago he may have changed his mind).
King George VII was definitely rumoured many years ago. I'm not sure if that still stands now that his eldest grandson (and third in line to the throne) is named George.

Calthrop

Established Member
One of Prince C.'s baptismal names is Arthur; but in view of all the legend-type "baggage" of that name, I think it can be reckoned that his taking on the name as king; would be too cheeky / presumptuous, to contemplate.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joking aside, I do hope Her Majesty is ok, although I agree with other posters that she may not have that long left. She certainly seems to have deteriorated much more rapidly after Philip died.
She is 96, had covid, lost her husband, got to deal with Johnson as PM and had her favourite son accused of noncing. It has been a tough few years.

duncanp

Established Member
If The Queen doesn't appear on the balcony at Buckingham Palace during the jubilee weekend, that really will be a sign that she is much more frail and unwell than has been admitted before, and she may not have much longer left to live.

Prince Charles will probably reign as Charles the Third or George the Seventh.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
From what I have read about the queen she absolutely refuses to be seen using a wheelchair and detests being seen using a stick. Lets be honest, she has done well to remain as active as she clearly was to such an age.
Prince Charles will probably reign as Charles the Third
I don't think I would use Charles. The other 2 weren't that good!

kristiang85

Established Member
From what I have read about the queen she absolutely refuses to be seen using a wheelchair and detests being seen using a stick. Lets be honest, she has done well to remain as active as she clearly was to such an age.

I don't think I would use Charles. The other 2 weren't that good!

It's basically this - she doesn't want to be seen as frail (I think the way the press gleefully documented the decline of Margaret really affected her) so in person engagements are being massively cut down. She's still doing Zoom engagements, which she wouldn't be doing if she was actually quite ill.

As for Charles' name, it is indeed seen as a bit of a curse. He can use Philip, Arthur or George. The boring option (and most likely) is George. But I can see him using Philip if he wants to pay tribute to his Dad.

geoffk

Established Member
I've been accompanying a choir on the piano and they were looking at Handel's anthem Zadok the Priest, written for the coronation of King George II and also sung at our Queen's coronation in 1953 (which I just about remember watching!). It was evident from the conversation between the MD and committee members that they expected another coronation in the not too distant future (although there will be an interval between accession and coronation; it was over a year last time).

On the subject of names, I don't really understand the objection to King Charles III - it seems to be based on the fate of Charles I but of course it was all a long time ago and you could use the same argument about George - that one of them was "mad"! It will be one of Charles, Philip, Arthur or George - King Arthur seems unlikely.

Snow1964

Established Member

Yes, appears to be mobility, probably hip or knee problems, causing problems walking and standing.

However by doing zoom calls etc, sounds like she is mentally fine, no memory loss, dementia etc.

Her mother got to 101 years 7 months so got a few years to go if she can match that.

Cloud Strife

Established Member

I'm almost certain that this is the case as well. She was riding horses until she was 93 and driving until 92, someone like her is not going to want to be seen in a wheelchair or using a stick.

And to be honest, who is going to tell her that she can't work from home? After all, she's got plenty of horses to keep up with, and attending Parliament must be a dreadful bore in comparison.

kristiang85

Established Member
On the subject of names, I don't really understand the objection to King Charles III - it seems to be based on the fate of Charles I but of course it was all a long time ago and you could use the same argument about George - that one of them was "mad"! It will be one of Charles, Philip, Arthur or George - King Arthur seems unlikely.

The benefit of keeping Charles is that it is his 'brand' and he's been known as Charles for so long, it would be a bit of a jolt to suddenly change names (whereas past heirs are less 'known').

However, obviously Charles I is quite infamous, and Charles II was quite a party animal (the 'Merry Monarch') and slept around a lot, which is probably something he wouldn't want to be assosciated with, especially given how long its taken him to rebuild his post-Diana reputation.

King George VI as his regnal name seems most likely to me. OBviously I'd love him to go for King Arthur for a laugh, but as you say that will never happen!

Ostrich

Well, Charles II finished up hugging an Oak Tree, so Charles III does seem quite appropriate for this current sustainable eco-warrior Prince ....

GS250

I'm almost certain that this is the case as well. She was riding horses until she was 93 and driving until 92, someone like her is not going to want to be seen in a wheelchair or using a stick.

And to be honest, who is going to tell her that she can't work from home? After all, she's got plenty of horses to keep up with, and attending Parliament must be a dreadful bore in comparison.

Exactly the same as my late Grandmother. Simply REFUSED to use a wheelchair or Zimmer frame. Watching her ascend the zig zag path on Bournemouth Cliffs was always a palpitation inducing half hour or so.

As for the Queen, yes I detect she is declining at a fair pace although dare I say she is being wrapped in cotton wool in preparation for her Jubilee.

A truly remarkable lady who will go down as one of if not the greatest ever Monarch.

Geezertronic

Established Member
King George VI (Queens father) was Prince Albert before his accession having taken his fathers (King George V) name (also one of his middle names). King George VII may be worth a few quid :)

Pakenhamtrain

She sounds like my late grandmother. She was stubborn about having to use a walker and didn't want to a first. Eventually she came around to using it.

As Prince Charles is, like me, a fan of the Goon Show it's obvious that he will reign as King Bluebottle.

GS250

She sounds like my late grandmother. She was stubborn about having to use a walker and didn't want to a first. Eventually she came around to using it.
Glad it's not just my ancestors. Stubborn as a mule when it came to being helped.

Pete_uk

Established Member
I think once the jubilee year is over she will call it a day and we will have King Charles III or King George VI.

kristiang85

Established Member
I think once the jubilee year is over she will call it a day and we will have King Charles III or King George VI.

I think there is next to no chance she will abdicate, she takes her vow of duty too seriously for that (and probably is determined to not be seen to abdicate after seeing the chaos her uncle caused).

birchesgreen

Established Member
I think there is next to no chance she will abdicate, she takes her vow of duty too seriously for that (and probably is determined to not be seen to abdicate after seeing the chaos her uncle caused).
Yeah she has been anointed by God, she won't abdicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.