• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Prodigy's Keith Flint dead at 49.

Status
Not open for further replies.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47442312
The Prodigy star Keith Flint has died aged 49.

Instantly recognisable for his fluorescent spiked hair and incendiary performances, the musician sang lead vocals on both the band's number one singles, Breathe and Firestarter.

He was found dead at his home in Dunmow, Essex, on Monday morning.

The band, who were due to tour the US in May, confirmed his death in a statement, remembering Flint as a "true pioneer, innovator and legend".

The Prodigy were the most successful band to emerge from the acid house scene of the late 1980s.

They met at an open-air rave in 1989; where Flint approached DJ Liam Howlett and asked him to make a mixtape for him.

Labelled Prodigy after Howlett's favourite synthesizer, the tape went down so well that Flint encouraged Howlett to pursue music professionally, offering up his services as a dancer.

Along with Leeroy Thornhill, they scored early hits with Everybody In The Place, Out Of Space and Charly - which sampled an old children's safety film: "Always tell your mummy before you go off somewhere."

Their music matured on their second album, Music For The Jilted Generation, which saw Howlett incorporate breakbeats, guitar loops and hip-hop samples on tracks like No Good (Start The Dance) and Voodoo People.

The album was nominated for a Mercury Music Prize - but the band truly went global when Flint grabbed the mic and unleashed the full fury of his voice on the abrasive, in-your-face Firestarter.

It knocked Take That's How Deep Is Your Love off the top of the charts in 1996, selling more than 600,000 copies in the UK alone.

Flint stepped up as a frontman, giving The Prodigy a demonic focal point for their intense live shows - notably at their headline show at Glastonbury in 1997.

The cause of his death is unknown.

In a statement, Essex police said: "We were called to concerns for the welfare of a man at an address in Brook Hill, North End, just after 8.10am on Monday, March 4.

"We attended and, sadly, a 49-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin have been informed.

"The death is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner."

An absolute icon of the 1990s, 49 is no age at all. The Prodigy were on my list of bands I wanted to see, and now it's never going to happen. :(

RIP Keith.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
An absolute icon of the 1990s, 49 is no age at all. The Prodigy were on my list of bands I wanted to see, and now it's never going to happen. :(

RIP Keith.
They were on my list of bands to see too...
A great shame and an excellent frontman. RIP Keith.

HOOVER29

Absolute Shocker
Brilliant brilliant band.
Brilliant guy.
Another great gone before his time.

RIP David Bowie
RIP Keith Flint

Harbornite

Established Member
Absolute Shocker
Brilliant brilliant band.
Brilliant guy.
Another great gone before his time.

RIP David Bowie
RIP Keith Flint

Agreed. Fortunately I was able to see him live back in November. Such a shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.