• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The proposed (1966) demolition of King's Cross and St. Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

Can anyone shed any light on British Rail's 1966 proposal to demolish St. Pancras AND King's Cross. Never heard of such an idea before.
http://stpancras.com/history/a-brief-history-of-st-pancras

...The herald of change for St Pancras came with the First World War. On the night of February 17th 1918 five bombs were dropped on or near the station and hotel. One fell on Midland Road, two on the forecourt and one on the western tower. None of these caused any casualties, but the fifth bomb fell on the glass covered cab road beside the booking office and killed twenty people, injuring a further thirty three. This was the greatest number of casualties suffered in any air raid on a London station during the war. The train services within the station were unaffected, however the roof to the Booking Office was lost and replaced by a plainer ceiling.

The war ended with the railway system very run down and a suggestion was made by the London Society in 1921 that St Pancras be closed. This came to nothing but what did happen was that, under the Railways Act 1921 four mainline railway companies were established and the Midland Railway passed under the control of the London Midland & Scottish Company (LM&S)....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I wasn't aware of that. I thought the plan was to close St P and divert into Kings Cross.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I suppose demolition and rebuilding of Kings Cross could have been a possibility. Another Euston?!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I thought the idea was to divert the MML fast services into Euston and this was the reason the line from Market Harborough to Northampton survived so long? Not sure if this would have resulted in total closure of St Pancras with the commuter service going to Moorgate, or whether the rebuilding would have had to preserve some terminating platforms for the Midland side.

38Cto15E

andy
There are some cheap books all about St Pancras station on a well known internet auction site, they probably give you all the info that you need, and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.