• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"The Proposed Elimination of Non-Essential Multiple Tracks" by BR in the 1980s - which lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecian 1998

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calder_Valley_line#cite_note-1
The British Railways Board's Corporate Plan for 1983–1988 marked the routes between Milner Royd Junction (east of Sowerby Bridge) and Bowling Junction (south of Bradford Interchange); and Milner Royd Junction and Heaton Lodge Junction (west of Mirfield) to be 'singled' on a list "The Proposed Elimination of Non-Essential Multiple Tracks".[1]

Reference:
1 - Rail Enthusiast, November 1983. pp 6–13
The Wikipedia page for the Calder Valley line refers to a BR document of this name from their Corporate Plan for 1983-88. It seems to refer to the intention to de-quadrify some lines and single others where the timetable then in place wouldn't be affected (much less contentious than closing lines).

Obviously some lines were singled during this time as they had been since the 1960s as an economy measure - Dorchester-Moreton, Probus - Burngullow in Cornwall, Farnham-Alton, much of the Uckfield line, part of the Bolton-Blackburn line - and Filton Bank was de-quadrified. I can't find any other reference to it though. Given Wikipedia is only as reliable as its users, does anyone know for definite if this document exists, and if so which lines were listed?

It would be interesting to see which lines were slated for 'modification' but avoided a fate which would be cumbersome and costly to reverse. Other than the Calder Valley, I seem to recall reading there was a plan to single much of the Marches line, but obviously that never happened. I suspect though that parts of pretty much any line other than the WCML, ECML, GWML, GEML and Greater London commuter belt lines could have been listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calder_Valley_line

The reference says Rail Magazine November 1983. I will try and get a copy of it and see what it says and see if it references another document. I was about to put Citation needed in the Wiki article but strictly there is a citation.

The shape of things to come - Geoffrey Freeman Allen analyses the British Railways Board's Five-Year Plan - and is disturbed by some of its proposals.

There are copies available but too much IMHO with shipping to US. Trying to see if I can get a digital edition.

Last edited:
I remember reading it at the time. A huge amount of singling was planned. Driffield- Beverley, York to Malton, Lincoln to Spalding, Lincoln to Barnetby and many others were to be part singled.
The tide was turning, however and the gloom began to lift shortly after.

Journeyman

Established Member
Was some of this just a recognition that changing operating methods needed less infrastructure? To some extent, that's still going on now. Before it closed in 1969, Galashiels station had five platforms. The reopened station just has one, but the service was far more intensive.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not BR but I've heard it said that senior executives in Railtrack in its early days questioned the need for the four tracks between Severn Tunnel Junction - Newport- Cardiff.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I was rather surprised that the Lowestoft to Norwich line was not singled or partially singled at the time when the Lowestoft to Ipswich line was partially singled.

Status
Not open for further replies.