• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the psychometric test

Status
Not open for further replies.

little-legs

Hello everyone,,, I am new to the forum so please be kind.
Can I ask a question please.
Can you pay to do the train driver psychometric test myself if I choose, and if so who do you contact for further information such as cost, location, availability ect.
My train of thought is if I did this myself and if successful to the standard needed by the TOC then I would only need to pass the DMI and medical.
Many Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

centro-323

Hi there! Not sure what the benefit would be in paying for it yourself to be honest. If you pass the initial sift for applicants, then they'll put you through the tests free of charge, and if you can't get through the initial sift, then you've wasted your money!

However you choose to proceed, I wish you good luck in your journey :)

DJP78

Hello everyone,,, I am new to the forum so please be kind.
Can I ask a question please.
Can you pay to do the train driver psychometric test myself if I choose, and if so who do you contact for further information such as cost, location, availability ect.
My train of thought is if I did this myself and if successful to the standard needed by the TOC then I would only need to pass the DMI and medical.
Many Thanks in advance.

RCG or OPC are the only two providers of private psychometrics that I know of. Price at RCG, who are based in Stockport, £500 - £600 and professionally run. I did my private tests few months back via RCG so can recommend them. Last time I spoke with OPC, their private tests were on hold in order to prioritise TOC tests, but they were contemplating restarting them

Privately acquired psychometrics are an emotive subject, as you'll find out for yourself if you research some of the historical threads on this forum lol

As said above, you still need to pass the initial sift which will likely involve additional testing and aptitude tests, perhaps telephone interviews etc. Passing your TD psychometrics won't entitle you to the job. However, there are multiple examples on this forum of applicants that do, as you speculated, go straight through to the DMI stage, once they've negotiated the application and pre-psychometric stage

IMO it also demonstrates to a perspective employer that you're serious about the job, given your personal investment. That might be the difference in a highly competitive application process

The downside, once you're at the DMI stage, you're back in the pot along with all the other applicants who passed their psychometrics. If their application was considered better, they get a better test score and outgun you at interview, they will rightly so sit above you in the pecking order. Nothing is guaranteed

Also worth noting, your scores will sit on the RSSB database for 5 years. However, some TOC's will make you resit them after 24 / 36 months

I did it to see whether I would pass or fail. I'm glad to say I passed my tests and I'm now in the process of applying for another non-driving job with a TOC, emboldened by the fact I have what it takes to pass the tests when I eventually apply for trainee TD internally. This makes it very much a less of a gamble and gives me the confidence to walk away from my current job

Good luck and wish you the best

Last edited:

feaky4

Just looked at the RCG site they have a test on 12th of june so tempting wish I had more time to look into it and prepare only thing that worrys me if I got further into the recruitment process is passing the eye sight on the medical I think my eyes are to weak but dont know

skyhigh

Established Member
Just looked at the RCG site they have a test on 12th of june so tempting wish I had more time to look into it and prepare only thing that worrys me if I got further into the recruitment process is passing the eye sight on the medical I think my eyes are to weak but dont know
If you're not sure you'd be able to pass the medical I wouldn't rush into paying a large sum for tests that might end up being pointless. Either way, I still wouldn't rush into paying for it without carefully considering if it's worth it. Personally I don't think it is, but then there's a large range of opinions on this topic....

(edited to add - also depends how your eyesight is weak - if it can meet the required standard with aid of glasses, that's perfectly fine. If you're colour blind, that's a complete no)

Last edited:

feaky4

If you're not sure you'd be able to pass the medical I wouldn't rush into paying a large sum for tests that might end up being pointless. Either way, I still wouldn't rush into paying for it without carefully considering if it's worth it. Personally I don't think it is, but then there's a large range of opinions on this topic....

(edited to add - also depends how your eyesight is weak - if it can meet the required standard with aid of glasses, that's perfectly fine. If you're colour blind, that's a complete no)
Its hard iv seen alot of people say its helped and some say it hasn't, i have applied 7/8 times and never got past a sift i feel like this is my last chance I gave up looking for a couple years but got pulled back as its some thing I really want I think ill leave next month but going to look into it and get more options as with eye sight I wear glasses but they are very strong prescription they are both at least -10 so again need to see if its even worth it

skyhigh

Established Member
Its hard iv seen alot of people say its helped and some say it hasn't, i have applied 7/8 times and never got past a sift i feel like this is my last chance I gave up looking for a couple years but got pulled back as its some thing I really want I think ill leave next month but going to look into it and get more options as with eye sight I wear glasses but they are very strong prescription they are both at least -10 so again need to see if its even worth it
If you've applied that many times I'd suggest asking someone to have a look over your application to see if there's any places you can improve it - if the initial application is poor (and I'm not saying yours is!) a psychometric pass isn't going to be any help really. In any case, driver applications are really competitive so having to apply multiple times to get a position isn't unusual. Don't give up!

feaky4

If you've applied that many times I'd suggest asking someone to have a look over your application to see if there's any places you can improve it - if the initial application is poor (and I'm not saying yours is!) a psychometric pass isn't going to be any help really. In any case, driver applications are really competitive so having to apply multiple times to get a position isn't unusual. Don't give up!
Iv had a few people look at it my gf and she's pretty smart and 2 separate pharmacists (I work in a pharmacy) as my spelling and grammar arnt the best so I always get people to triple check for me

little-legs

RCG or OPC are the only two providers of private psychometrics that I know of. Price at RCG, who are based in Stockport, £500 - £600 and professionally run. I did my private tests few months back via RCG so can recommend them. Last time I spoke with OPC, their private tests were on hold in order to prioritise TOC tests, but they were contemplating restarting them

Privately acquired psychometrics are an emotive subject, as you'll find out for yourself if you research some of the historical threads on this forum lol

As said above, you still need to pass the initial sift which will likely involve additional testing and aptitude tests, perhaps telephone interviews etc. Passing your TD psychometrics won't entitle you to the job. However, there are multiple examples on this forum of applicants that do, as you speculated, go straight through to the DMI stage, once they've negotiated the application and pre-psychometric stage

IMO it also demonstrates to a perspective employer that you're serious about the job, given your personal investment. That might be the difference in a highly competitive application process

The downside, once you're at the DMI stage, you're back in the pot along with all the other applicants who passed their psychometrics. If their application was considered better, they get a better test score and outgun you at interview, they will rightly so sit above you in the pecking order. Nothing is guaranteed

Also worth noting, your scores will sit on the RSSB database for 5 years. However, some TOC's will make you resit them after 24 / 36 months

I did it to see whether I would pass or fail. I'm glad to say I passed my tests and I'm now in the process of applying for another non-driving job with a TOC, emboldened by the fact I have what it takes to pass the tests when I eventually apply for trainee TD internally. This makes it very much a less of a gamble and gives me the confidence to walk away from my current job

Good luck and wish you the best
Thank you for the info...

Inthe4foot

I’m about 2 months in as a qualified driver, my interpretation of the process is that each stage is scored and then only the top percentile is taken forward. So each stage is basically treated separate. There’s no right or wrong with pre taking the OPC tests But to me it’s pointless, you’ve got to pay to do them off your own back and for the initial paper shifts it’s about answering to the required questions on the application form and Trying to put in all the NTS skills and buzz words they are looking for, well it was for my TOC. not only that your scores might not match the TOC/FOCs enhanced requirement or be in the top percentile. Add on the fact the more time to practice and research the tests would help.

Saying all this there’s people who have privately taken the OPC test and become great drivers there’s no right or wrong just opinions. Just do what you feel is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.