• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Railway Magazine/Virgin Speed attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick W

Established Member
Thane of Fife said:
why would anyone want to sit in some train with hardly any windows

The APT had nice big windows and people got sick. "I see a curve but I don't feel it, I feel sick"

BTW what are they going to do about TPWS?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
Nick W said:
BTW what are they going to do about TPWS?
Since they've not got special permission to exceed speed limits, there shouldn't be a problem wit TPWS overspeed loops.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Tomnick said:
If you wanted to run southbound through platform 3, as originally posted, the crossover to the down road at North Junction would definitely end the party rather rapidly ;).

I was thinking of running northbound through platform 3, as quite a few overnight freights do, as well as the last service off Euston to Carlisle does. I'd have proposed running northbound through platform 1, but I think the turnout back onto the mainline is sharper off that platform than it is off platform 4. I'll have a gander next time I'm up that way!
[EDIT]
Already planning to do that within 6 months of it opening. I'll never get on the first one, but I'll get it done as soon as I possibly can!

Tom C

Why bother with a stunt like this if they break speed limits?

If this isn't going to be possible with passenger trains then why bother doing it at all!

I would rather eat £60 than give it to Virgin for a pointless PR stunt like this!

Galvanize said:
VIRGIN Trains is to make an official attempt at breaking the record for the fastest journey ever from Glasgow to London on the West Coast Main Line -
and, in an exciting, exclusive and unprecedented development, readers of The Railway Magazine are to be allowed on board!!

This once-in-a-lifetime venture will feature a hand-picked, specially-prepared 'Pendolino', which will attempt to run NON-STOP from Glasgow to Euston IN UNDER FOUR HOURS.

If it achieves 3 hours 59 minutes, it will become the first train ever to run southbound between the capital Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland:mumum: cities in under four hours.

If it achieves 3 hrs 58 minutes, it will establish a new West Coast record by setting an average speed of more than 100mph for the full 401-mile route.

If it achieves 3hrs 52 minutes, it will break the all-time West Coast record, which was set by British Rail's Advanced Passenger Train (on a northbound run) in 1982!

The record attempt takes place on 22 September, and further details can be found in the new edition of Railway Magazine or by telephoning 020 7261 5821 (OR 5797 OR 7541) , credit card bookings now open.

Cost, with proceeds to Virgin Trains nominated charity is £59.99 second class, £99.99 First class. No discounts, not even for Railway Magazine Staff- they pay full price. VT staff on board, are volunteers for the day.

( most text copyright Railway Magazine / Virgin Trains)

Class_31

Look out for the big hollow in the track on Platform 4 at Preston, I wouldn't like to do that at full line speed (whatever that is at that point). It certainly makes a loaded ballast train bounce like hell.

Class_31;)

Guinness

Established Member
Put it this way, it's still publicity for the railways whether it's Virgin or not.

The Anglo-Scottish route has large loads on Airlines and with many people switching to cars on the Manchester - London corridor, it has every chance of working on Glasgow - London and trying to break a record attempt will boost Publicity a lot.

Saying things like "I hope it crashes" etc won't do any good for anyone nor the Rail Network on the whole. Stupid comments.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If I could afford to do it, I would. As it is, I'm planning to visit the Channel Islands as soon as possible, do a railtour in October, maybe another in November, Ireland or Holland in December, on a strictly limited budget. And I'm trying to find a job to fund all this at the moment too.

Hope you have a great trip on the 390 Metroland, it sounds like it will be awesome. Unfortunately I cannot spare the £100+ required for me to do this trip in Standard, let alone the £140+ to do it First (costs include associated moves to/from the non-stop run, food and drink).:(

Mintona

Established Member
I really wanna go on this Pendo, but no money and school kind of say no. Maybe some other time...when they do it again.

Guinness

Established Member
alistairtrainfanman said:
I really wanna go on this Pendo, but no money and school kind of say no. Maybe some other time...when they do it again.
Probably do it again once Trent Valley 4 Tracking is completed and once it's upgraded to 135mph.

Tom C

Who said anything about breaking speed limits etc?

The ad quite clearly says speed limits or signalling lengths will NOT be exceeded. 4 hours is 100mph average speed which is quite possible with a non-stop run. Happens on the ECML all the time.

Somebody in this thread, I didn't read the advert ;)

Blimey, you don't work for the daily mail do you? Yes there is: Manchester has 2 trains per hour with around 2 hours journey time, soon to be three per hour sub two hours. Birmingham is getting 3 trains per hour, Glasgow might be going hourly, plus all the other capacity enhancements, including for freight.

And thats all great........

What I have a problem with is the level of comfort you get on Virgin Trains these days. Horrid seats which are rock hard and bolt upright, horrid claustrophoic interiors and poor catering facilities.

This is a personal view obviously but I have to say Virgin would be my last choice on any journey over 2 hours because I simply cannot stand the interiors of the trains.

You buggers are more cynical that some of the staff, what's wrong w'd ya? lol

I aim to please :)

Nick

WSXFan said:
Bloody hell!

I like Virgin's stock too, I even want to do the Penzance - Dundee Voyager in one go!

Didn't you create the phrase VVV though, Julian :p

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes, but those days are behind me now. Turning into a unit ned here...Although I'm always interested in proper loco haulage.

As for wanting to do Penz - Dundee on the through Voyager, it would be nice to do if only for the purpose of an endurance test. Some serious mileages there too!

Status
Not open for further replies.