• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Raw vs. Jpeg Debate Rages On...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eezypeazy

Thanks for that, curly42.

Having worked in international PR for some time, I must add that I've never had a magazine ask for RAW files - they all want JPEGs that will reproduce sufficiently well at 300dpi...

Regards

eezypeazy

mumrar

Established Member
Thanks for that, curly42.

Having worked in international PR for some time, I must add that I've never had a magazine ask for RAW files - they all want JPEGs that will reproduce sufficiently well at 300dpi...

Regards

eezypeazy
Whilst no magazines really request jpeg images they don't mind the work done with RAW before converting it to send on. It depends in what capacity you are giving the material to them. I use them purely for flexibility and being able to make the most of what you get. That and a RAW file is very useful for proof of copyright or that no processing has been done to an original shot. Why have cotton if you have the option of silk?

Dennis

Established Member
For those of you interested,there are some very interesting comments made in this article -

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

well worth a read,even if you find it controversial.

I wouldn't say that it's controversial - most of it is true. However, as an incompetant snapper with a rather poor camera and unsteady hand, I need all the help I can get.

Having recently tried out RAW format for the first time, I can confirm processing times are horrendously long and file sizes unwieldy. Having said that, control of contrast and noise reduction are much better with the RAW converter I use (S7RAW) than what I can normally achieve with Photoshop. But if I composed the shots properly in the first place, I wouldn't have those problems....

mumrar

Established Member
But if I composed the shots properly in the first place, I wouldn't have those problems....
Composition is key to any photo, but no amount of time spent on it will help with levels of noise and contrast issues. Unless you're in a studio situation with control of everything, or have you found out how to control the sun lol. If so, tell it to get rid of the cloud today please

Status
Not open for further replies.