• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Real meaning of Windows Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Windows V.I.S.T.A.: Vicious Idiots Selling Tainted Applications

Thought certain people on here might like that. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
I've also heard it referred to as Virus Infections Spyware Trojans Adware

T

Tom

Vista is pretty secure actually... it's Longhorn Server thats the joke currently.

For example;

On Longhorn Server you can do the following without an administrators password:
- Set up active directory and set up all user accounts
- Set up website & email
- Set up the local DNS server
- Set up Terminal Services (remote desktop is its XP name)
- and much much more...

Jordy

Established Member
I've also heard it referred to as Virus Infections Spyware Trojans Adware

Before this becomes an argument thread, can I point out that what I posted in the above quote is not my opinion, as I have not used VISTA, i've just heard it called that before ;)

Jordy

LondonBVE

I used window cause Mac too expensive, Linux some games will not work on it other OS again some games will not work. So that's why I have to use Window if not I would use Mac rather than Window.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Vista is meant to be pretty poor - my friend frequently swears about it. However, he uses Linux and loves it so I'm not sure that I can trust his opinion :lol:;)

I think XP does the job pretty well most of the time so I'm fairly happy with it!

asopu10

Its simple, people stick with windows cos its easy, thats why I use it, I need a system thats compatible with my sixth forms windows based network, that can run games and applications, and won't take up much of my time admin wise, I spend about twenty mins a month cleaning up my PC, and I really don't have time to spend any more time on it. Mainly because iI find it dull.

Nick W

Established Member
I do all those thinks on mac and can connect to computers on a samba (used by windows) network.

asopu10

Linspire can do most of the thinks you ask. :)
You've just pointed out the problem though. Most things. Plus its a hastel and I don't understand how any of it works, if it was provided in the way windows and office is, i.e. installed already it would be used more.

Nick W

Established Member
pendo311wg0.png

Death

Established Member
^ - Nothing to say, Nick? <D
Well...I'm currently using Redhat 9 as my computers operating system and I don't have too many complaints about it, but having said that I do have to add that using Linux can be a bit of a chore on some occasions, which is why I'm considering reverting my network to a domain based arrangement with a dedicated firewall, DNS and web server running Redhat, and everything else running either MS-DOS 6 or Windows XP, depending on what that machine can handle. :)
(For the record: Many of my PCs are so old they make a Class 411 look like cutting-edge technology! :lol:)

Indeed...Although Linux is by far and wide MUCH more secure than Windows (At least on Linux you have to log in before you can do anything other than shut down/reboot the machine! :)) it goes without saying that Windows is much more user friendly. Although I can easily live without the range of applications for Windows, my problems with Linux are:
  1. Pixel-by-pixel image editing is a pain in The GIMP.
  2. Crap support for Flash.
  3. XMMS Is better than Windows Media Player for audio, but doesn't seem to handle video.
  4. As things currently stand, my other players won't do a thing...Meaning that I have about 4.5Gb of video on my secondary HDD that I can't watch! :(
  5. I'd always thought that Windows was better for multimedia...But chatting with a friend (And fellow Linux user) on Monday confirmed it.
So therefore I may switch back to Windows on most of my PCs, but you can bet your ass that I'll be using a Linux box to keep the whole thing secure! :D
(And with Windows, at least my other hobby of writing non-malicious (Harmless) viruses in VBscript can continue, too! ;))

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

Nice to see a reasoned discussion of Linux and Windows, Death. :notworth:

Usually you just get fanboys saying: "Your OS is teh suXorZ!" :lol:

I'm fine sticking with XP, Vista is meant to have some serious problems though.

Status
Not open for further replies.