• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Reopening Of Haxby Rail Station (Any Updates?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I’d say that motion sickness induced by bus travel is a very good reason for avoiding same. Motion sickness affects different people on different ways - I am fine on any rollercoaster, but if I simply set foot on any boat larger than a trawler I am instantly in trouble. Nevertheless, I would suggest that the number of people affected by bus only motion sickness is relatively small, and certainly not reason enough to build a new station.

Apologies if it sounded pompous, my intention was to point out that some people won’t uses buses as they believe they are beneath them; Mrs Thatcher’s comments on the subject spring to mind.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic08

On Moderation
I’d say that motion sickness induced by bus travel is a very good reason for avoiding same. Motion sickness affects different people on different ways - I am fine on any rollercoaster, but if I simply set foot on any boat larger than a trawler I am instantly in trouble. Nevertheless, I would suggest that the number of people affected by bus only motion sickness is relatively small, and certainly not reason enough to build a new station.

Apologies if it sounded pompous, my intention was to point out that some people won’t uses buses as they believe they are beneath them; Mrs Thatcher’s comments on the subject spring to mind.
At least you are man enough to apologise unlike many on here. It was out of character of your usual posts.
I just prefer the faster, smoother ride of a train all round and use train where I can. I change at Harrogate into a train out of a 36 bus that goes to Leeds even though I have a bus pass.
I have yet to try a 170 on this route. Better experience than a Pacer I should imagine.

Grimsby town

I honestly cannot understand why a station hasn't been constructed at Haxby. The station has proven to have a good business case and with the new Northen service, a train can be stopped without slowing down the main TPE service.

Looking at the commuting patterns in the area from census data, even if a very low level of modal shift from car to rail occurs, the station could expect around 80,000 journeys from commuting alone. A service would make the rail network more accessible for this area of York as currently the only way to acccess the rail network is to drive or catch a bus to York which can be subject to heavy traffic. It would also significantly improve access from Haxby to Malton by public transport.

In the future I would like to see a series of light rail / Tram Train routes developed out of York including a service to Haxby and Strensall calling at the hospital and new line off the Scarborough line going via roads to Monks Cross retail park and the new stadium and then onwards to Stamford Bridge and Pocklington.

bluenoxid

Established Member
There is a very vocal minority who are opposed to a railway station here. It’s location means that it is easily long grassed (usually for reasons that a bit of investment into reports and business cases could resolve).

When you have dead certs in the city region like Elland, well loved proposals like East Leeds Parkway and White Rose, opportunities like Crosshills and controversies like Bramhope Parkway, Haxby is just a sunk proposal.

Jack Hay

Thanks everyone for the comments. Coming back to my original point, I doubt I would use a new station to travel into York itself. The park and ride fulfills that purpose. I am thinking of a station I would use as a railhead for longer journeys such as to Manchester. It doesn't have to be in Haxby. It could be in Strensall, or anywhere north-east of York really. I would have to drive to wherever it was, but I would make good use of it, and I think many people in the villages northeast of York would too. This strengthens the case for a new station, whichever village it is in.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

Well Guvnor - you would not have enjoyed a force 8 / 9 on the QM2 , Mid Atlantic in November :D - I found it very stimulating. Then I come from a part 19thC Ships Master background....

On a bigger issue - and having paid £25 for a return taxi fare to this area - a sort of Malton - York "local" would make some sort of sense - burdened as it is , on the TPE Scarborough link. Would cost though.

deltic08

On Moderation
Nothing to do with the subject, but I'm impressed!
Everything to do with the argument why I would use a train from Haxby rather than bus P&R and so would other folks. Buses can cause motion sickness, trains and aerobatics, in my case, don't.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I think we will have to disagree on that, given that the York P&R are very popular, both for commuters and visitors. I do agree that they finish a little early, however I contend that with frequencies in the range of a bus every 5-10 minutes they would be far, far more convenient for 99% of users than an hourly train service as a park and ride service.

I'm not sure we're in disagreement that York's Park and Ride project is a great success and very popular. I would simply contend that whilst it is very suitable and well used for journeys with a destination of York, it simply isn't set up for people who wish to drive to somewhere in the vicinity of York, and then get a train for a long distance journey. Service simply doesn't start early enough, nor finish later enough to, for instance, drive to York, get a bus to the centre, catch a train to (eg) Manchester, do a days work, and then return. This is the kind of market a station in Haxby would easily tap into, plus of course overnight parking is not permitted and P&R sites, whereas this is common at rail car parks.

I honestly cannot understand why a station hasn't been constructed at Haxby. The station has proven to have a good business case and with the new Northen service, a train can be stopped without slowing down the main TPE service.

The project as originally devised, included line speed works to gain enough time to make the station call without impacting times at York or Malton.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There is a very vocal minority who are opposed to a railway station here. It’s location means that it is easily long grassed (usually for reasons that a bit of investment into reports and business cases could resolve).

When you have dead certs in the city region like Elland, well loved proposals like East Leeds Parkway and White Rose, opportunities like Crosshills and controversies like Bramhope Parkway, Haxby is just a sunk proposal.
Haxby will certainly be less problematic than White Rose, which will be too close to two existing stations and on a railway line which is already too congested to function reliably as it is.

03_179

Established Member
Not knowing the local area well, would a shuttle type service work terminating at Haxby and return to York ?

Having a rather brief look at RTT there does seem to be a gap between services during the day that a shuttle could run with additional stops in the morning and evening peak.

Possibly the construction of a bay platform to accommodate the service when the fast TPE trains are passing.

Just ideas that spring to mind.

Also around Haxby (or between there and Strensell) could a new station be constructed with a large car park facility ?

Veteran Member
Not knowing the local area well, would a shuttle type service work terminating at Haxby and return to York ?

Having a rather brief look at RTT there does seem to be a gap between services during the day that a shuttle could run with additional stops in the morning and evening peak.

Possibly the construction of a bay platform to accommodate the service when the fast TPE trains are passing.

Just ideas that spring to mind.

Also around Haxby (or between there and Strensell) could a new station be constructed with a large car park facility ?

The second hourly train to Scarborough could serve Haxby; there is no room for a turnback siding, and even a crossover and signalling would add massively to the cost.
The problem with developing a P and R type railhead is that Haxby and Strensall, and the line in between, are well off the main road and access roads are poor (I've driven them recently) and/or involve a longish drive through Haxby-Wigginton. There's not much space for car parks anyway - one hopes that Haxby people could be persuaded to cycle....

bluenoxid

Established Member
Haxby will certainly be less problematic than White Rose, which will be too close to two existing stations and on a railway line which is already too congested to function reliably as it is.

I won’t deny that I’m very much concerned about services to White Rose and Thorpe Park. I don’t think they that will get brilliant frequencies. However, I think that both will be delivered before Haxby.

White Rose

Combined Authority, Council and local businesses are very supportive with local developer in negotiations to stump up half of the costs.

Majority of locals are quite interested in the delivery of this (awaiting results of consultation)

Haxby

Council luke warm after being bitten in round 1 of the New Stations Fund. Active opposition to it in the local community. No funding for it.

deltic08

On Moderation
I won’t deny that I’m very much concerned about services to White Rose and Thorpe Park. I don’t think they that will get brilliant frequencies. However, I think that both will be delivered before Haxby.

White Rose

Combined Authority, Council and local businesses are very supportive with local developer in negotiations to stump up half of the costs.

Majority of locals are quite interested in the delivery of this (awaiting results of consultation)

Haxby

Council luke warm after being bitten in round 1 of the New Stations Fund. Active opposition to it in the local community. No funding for it.
Anti's will be the usual whinging nimby's and car owning minority. I loathe them as they are selfish beyond belief.

yorkguy

Open access at York doesn’t help the case for Haxby either. A rammed morning or evening TPE train proves difficult for a full ticket check as it is. Add another load of passengers for the 8 minute journey into York and there’ll be even more free riders than there are now

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

White Rose

Haxby

Anti's will be the usual whinging nimby's and car owning minority. I loathe them as they are selfish beyond belief.
Apologies for the ongoing off-topic diversion, but my objections to a White Rose Centre station are nothing to do with nimbyism or being a selfish car-owner (I don't own a car and try to avoid being selfish). WRC may well be an aspiration for Leeds City Council to spend their trolleybus money on, but I'd be surprised if Network Rail sign off on it for the simple reason that the railway is full. I'm also surprised that LCC are so behind it considering that the city centre is among the top retail destinations in the country whilst the White Rose is dying on its backside.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Any indication of a preferred station site?
Use the original sites closed in the 30's or be more realistic and site the were the potential travelers are?

I've seen full layout plans for the station site, if I recall correctly it was a planning application, but I'm on my phone so unable to check at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.