• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The replacement of condition 19(c)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
Hi folks,

What is the replacement in the new Conditions of carriage that replaced the old condition 19(c).

Specifically I'm doing a journey using a multi-day rover that covers station A to B and then a point to point ticket that covers B to C. The train does not stop at station B.

I'm convinced this is all above board on the basis that ticket from A to B is not a simple point to point ticket. (If it were, my train would have to stop at station B).

However I've just been refused a seat reservation for the A - C journey on the basis that my train does not call at B. The sales staff member was very clear in that.

Am I right or have I just been saved from a pricey mistake?

For context, I've used the above combination on 3 separate journeys in the last 6 weeks, with ticket checked on each occasion and no eyebrows raised.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
The condition you want is 14.2, quoted below
If you are using a Season Ticket, daily Zonal Ticket, or another area based Ticket such as a concessionary pass, ranger or rover in conjunction with another Ticket and the last station at which one Ticket is valid and the first station that the other Ticket is valid are the same, then the train does not need to call at that station for your combination to be valid.

hkstudent

Established Member
The condition you want is 14.2, quoted below
If you are using a Season Ticket, daily Zonal Ticket, or another area based Ticket such as a concessionary pass, ranger or rover in conjunction with another Ticket and the last station at which one Ticket is valid and the first station that the other Ticket is valid are the same, then the train does not need to call at that station for your combination to be valid.
Another undertrained staff does not understand the full context of NRCOT... Sigh

OP's approach to travel is definitely right in the eyes of the regulation.

CC 72100

Established Member
Excellent, so in that case I'm correct (I work in the industry but know more about Tread v Disc braking techniques than tickets - any ticket knowledge comes from my previous life as a mere passenger) and the staff at the booking office was wrong?

That's frustrating as I could now be standing for a few hours as a result...

CC 72100

Established Member
OP's approach to travel is definitely right in the eyes of the regulation.

Heck, I work for a TOC and have Priv but I take the view that with that comes the responsibility to be squeaky clean!

hkstudent

Established Member
Excellent, so in that case I'm correct (I work in the industry but know more about Tread v Disc braking techniques than tickets - any ticket knowledge comes from my previous life as a mere passenger) and the staff at the booking office was wrong?

That's frustrating as I could now be standing for a few hours as a result...
Well, complain to the TOC for the under-training, and expect a template reply. Sadly.

RJ

Established Member
Heck, I work for a TOC and have Priv but I take the view that with that comes the responsibility to be squeaky clean!

There's nothing wrong with splitting tickets in accordance with the rules, Priv or otherwise! I was on the railwage for most of my time as a student and still used the cheapest legitimate ticketing arrangements I could find with the discount!

To the OP - had you presented me with those tickets I'd have done the reservation - the tickets cover the journey so I don't see what the problem was.

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
There's nothing wrong with splitting tickets in accordance with the rules, Priv or otherwise! I was on the railwage for most of my time as a student and still used the cheapest legitimate ticketing arrangements I could find with the discount!

To the OP - had you presented me with those tickets I'd have done the reservation - the tickets cover the journey so I don't see what the problem was.

RJ, I'd have no doubt whatsoever you would have!

Just disappointing that retail training doesn't cover something which is so important for customer rights.

And even when said customer suggests why this situation isn't what the staff member is thinking (although I didn't know the exact term at the time - Doh) you do have to wonder how how much twaddle is fed to 'normal' customers day in day out and the impression of the railway they go away with as a result.

CC 72100

Established Member
As a follow up of this, I'm now making the above journey, thankfully in an unreserved seat, and the very friendly but efficient LNER Guard has straight away clocked my combination and confirmed it as valid.

Presumably some parts of LNER have the appropriate retail knowledge then!

Status
Not open for further replies.