• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Rossendale Venturer - 30/06/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

GazzaB24

Hopefully someone may know and this hadn't been asked before but what's the likely traction for this 66's or 67's?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GazzaB24

Ok, thanks. UK Railtours use DB Schenker for motive power but on numerous occasions over the years they use top n tail 66/0's depending on where the tour is going, hence my question for this tour.

Phil6219

The sight of a 66 or 67 on the ELR is seriously freaking me out...

Probably will be either though, would be nice if they stuck on something special though but surely we would have heard about it by now.

Out of interest (thinking more along the lines of I'm on a different planet) when is 55009 expected to be certified, I heard the end of either this month or next month. It would be a surprise if that appeared. Thinking about it I'm sure we would have heard by now though, even if it was a really well kept secret :)

Phil 8-)

Established Member
Last time I did a UK Railtours trip to the East Lancs it was 66s. Railtour info has todays trip to East Anglia down for 67s, but it isn't, is 66081 and 66161.

89-763-733

Would the 75mph maximum speed of 66s cause pathing problems on the WCML?

If a railtour is 66 hauled where does the electricity for catering etc come from?

Established Member
Having now looked up the full details of the tour I did to the ELR (February 2004!) it was in fact out of Kings Cross and was a class 90 to Doncaster RMT then top & tail 66s from there. This one could be a class 90 from Euston with a loco change somewhere or possibly could be 67s throughout. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that 66s could feature as the tour is on a Saturday and there are 75mph paths available then, this was taken on a Saturday morning :)

p793840636-3.jpg

craig87034

The The Thames Irwell UK Railtour from Euston-Rawtenstall on 24th October 2007 was 67001 and 67026

The best thing is to speak to UKR themselves. Despite the claims that they "never request traction for their tours", I understand any tour that will operate fully under the wires will be a 90, and any that will visit somewhere from where 67s are barred will thus be 66s.

UKR have also confirmed to me this one is 67s.

DB Man

The best thing is to speak to UKR themselves. Despite the claims that they "never request traction for their tours", I understand any tour that will operate fully under the wires will be a 90, and any that will visit somewhere from where 67s are barred will thus be 66s.

UKR have also confirmed to me this one is 67s.

Irrespective of what you've been told, this trip is down for 2x66.

89-763-733

Just received my ticket for this tour. No mention of booked traction. Bury to Rawenstall and return will now be by ELR service train and the tour won't be permitted on the Buckley Wells branch but it should still be a good day out

Phil6219

That will be interesting given that in order to access the ELR is via Buckley Wells... Though I am not certain of who actually owns the metals between the ELR and the Mainline, is it still the privately owned steel works?

I'd have figured that the tour would use an ELR locomotive at some point after all it would be a bit pointless to visit the railway and not get much of a proper opportunity to travel behind one of their locomotives.

Still keep 66s and 67s away!!! :D

Phil 8-)

theblackwatch

Established Member
That will be interesting given that in order to access the ELR is via Buckley Wells... Though I am not certain of who actually owns the metals between the ELR and the Mainline, is it still the privately owned steel works?

I'd have figured that the tour would use an ELR locomotive at some point after all it would be a bit pointless to visit the railway and not get much of a proper opportunity to travel behind one of their locomotives.

Still keep 66s and 67s away!!! :D

Phil 8-)

Access to the ELR hasn't been via Buckley Wells since Metrolink took over the Bury line! Trains come in from the main line via Castleton/Heywood.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Just received my ticket for this tour. No mention of booked traction. Bury to Rawenstall and return will now be by ELR service train and the tour won't be permitted on the Buckley Wells branch but it should still be a good day out

Good evening,

I am doing this tour too, looking forward to it. I saw the note with the tickets saying that we can travel on a steam service at 1430 from Bury, that's a change from the usual ELR Saturday service when that train is normally diesel hauled according to ELR timetable. I guess they changed it owing to the railtour. I Note in 2007 the Thames Irwell railtour train did have similar timings to this weekend's and did run through to Rawtenstall, so I wonder if the charter train will again run through, thus giving us the choice of services to choose from. I will have to find out if there is a Wetherspoons or similar at Bury as there seems to be enough time get a drink and lunch soon after arrival at Bury.

Phil6219

Access to the ELR hasn't been via Buckley Wells since Metrolink took over the Bury line! Trains come in from the main line via Castleton/Heywood.

Of course! I'm a total spanner, I was really tired when I posted that as I completely forgot the layout.

It would have been nice to see a proper train running along the metrolink lines (not counting when the ELR assisted the track renewals - I missed them).

Phil 8-)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

There's two Wetherspoons in Bury The Robert Peel & The Art Picture House

Thanks, I just looked and they both seem to be close to Bury Bolton Street Station, I see there is also a Greene King Pub nearby too.

Is there now any connection at all, even if not used often between the ELR & Metro link,? I am sure years ago I noticed there appeared to be a link from the tram line.

I note too, that there are plans for an extention of the ELR from Heywood to Castleton & maybe Rochdale which would be great.

Will the times for this trip be put up on the Railtour Website?

Jonfun

Established Member
Reet, to stick my head above the parapet as an 'east lancs-y type'...

The tour's booked to arrive Bury just after 1pm (delays on the mainline notwithstanding), then there's time to grab some dinner before, as has been said, onward travel via East Lancs service train at 1430 which is booked for steam, although there is/should be a diesel running too - don't think the times fit in as well though.

Access to the East Lancs is via Castleton Junction, and the connection between the main lines and the East Lancs is owned by NR up to just a tad before Hopwood Ground Frame, where it becomes ELR owned. There's talk (as has been mentioned) of an extension towards Castleton, into a new platform at the current station - I believe at the moment it's all a matter of getting everyone to agree and finding someone with a big pot of money!

There is indeed still a connection to the Metrolink at Buckley Wells, and it has been known to see use when trains have brought ballast and such on site for Metrolink track renewals.

Now, the most important bit - Wetherspoons! If you'd like my personal recommendation, go to the Art Picture House opposite the bus station. It's not quite as close as the Peel but I've always found the standards (food, beer, staff) are much better - and it's a lot nicer a pub.

Hope everyone who's on it has a great time,

Jon

Newshy37

Am I missing somthing or has the pub on the station shut? No one has mentioned that. Usually 4 or 5 beers on and usually pretty good. Would stuggle to accomodate a train full of people though.

Jonfun

Established Member
The Trackside on P2 at Bolton Street will be open as usual as far as I'm aware although I suspect it'll be quite busy - from experience it usually is anyway without an excursion train coming in as well! Usually has 10 beers on the pumps, so a few more than 4 or 5 :) Plenty of local ones too, I'm a fan of most of Irwell Works and Phoenix's ones which get a look in quite often. (Sorry, I'll suppress the beer drinker in me for a bit!)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Reet, to stick my head above the parapet as an 'east lancs-y type'...

The tour's booked to arrive Bury just after 1pm (delays on the mainline notwithstanding), then there's time to grab some dinner before, as has been said, onward travel via East Lancs service train at 1430 which is booked for steam, although there is/should be a diesel running too - don't think the times fit in as well though.

Access to the East Lancs is via Castleton Junction, and the connection between the main lines and the East Lancs is owned by NR up to just a tad before Hopwood Ground Frame, where it becomes ELR owned. There's talk (as has been mentioned) of an extension towards Castleton, into a new platform at the current station - I believe at the moment it's all a matter of getting everyone to agree and finding someone with a big pot of money!

There is indeed still a connection to the Metrolink at Buckley Wells, and it has been known to see use when trains have brought ballast and such on site for Metrolink track renewals.

Now, the most important bit - Wetherspoons! If you'd like my personal recommendation, go to the Art Picture House opposite the bus station. It's not quite as close as the Peel but I've always found the standards (food, beer, staff) are much better - and it's a lot nicer a pub.

Hope everyone who's on it has a great time,

Jon

Many tks for all the useful info here. Yes, I am looking forward to the trip on Saturday.

89-763-733

The ELR have announced that the 1430 will now be 80080 and not diesel hauled UK Railtours have just informed me the tour ticket will be valid on the diesel service as well. Suggestion is to take this as far as Summerseat and change to the return steam service there

http://www.eastlancsrailway.org.uk/news/?item=37

Last edited:

tnxrail

Is the tour running via Nuneaton to get to stafford hopeing to see it thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.