• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Severn Beach Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinkbonny

Got a trip lined up tomorrow to visit the Severn Beach Line. I'm only going as I've got a friend down there and I thought here's a chance to get off my usual beaten track.

I wasn't expecting much - but looking in an old guide it makes the claim: " the Severn Beach line is held by some to be amongst the most picturesque in EUROPE!!"

Not even just the UK!

I find that hard to believe, but I'm happy to be corrected if anybody knows any better.

Also the timings from Temple Meads for me getting off a B'ham train aren't great, but I notice there is a more frequent service to Avonmouth as a possible stopping off point.

Happy to receive any advice for what to do or look out for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Got a trip lined up tomorrow to visit the Severn Beach Line...

...I wasn't expecting much - but looking in an old guide it makes the claim: " the Severn Beach line is held by some to be amongst the most picturesque in EUROPE!!"

Not even just the UK!

I find that hard to believe, but I'm happy to be corrected if anybody knows any better.
A contender for the "Hyperbolic statement of the Century" award? ;)

SteveM70

Established Member
Don’t get off at Avonmouth, there’s nothing there other than a general air of terminal decline

bangor-toad

I wasn't expecting much - but looking in an old guide it makes the claim: " the Severn Beach line is held by some to be amongst the most picturesque in EUROPE!!"

Not even just the UK!

Goodness me!
That's a quote to make you splutter in surprise!

I quite like the line but I think that it's not *that* good. Here are some entirely subjective tips;
As you leave Bristol Temple Meads look out to the left for the depot (I've forgotten it's name) but there's usually something to see.
By Lawrence Hill station see if you can spot the old Midland Railway line.
As the branch line diverges from the main line there used to be the earthworks for the link to the Midland line visible - I don't know if they still are.
The next bit through the Bristol suburbs isn't that exciting.

Clifton tunnel is quite long.
As you come out of it look back down the gorge. You should be able to see Clifton suspension bridge.
If you look carefully you'll also see some of the earthworks for the long abandoned line that went along the gorge into Hotwells station almost underneath the bridge.

On the opposite side of the river you can often see the Portishead line.

Just after SeaMills look out the the right. The walls for the little harbour on the river inlet are supposed to be Roman. They really don't look that old and I suspect what you can mainly see is a fre hundred year old rebuild on Roman remains.

The line then climbs and curves following the river. Years ago you would have been treated to some Pacer wheel screeching. The parkland around here is nice.

As you leave Shirehampton look up and to the left for a view of the Avonmouth bridge.
Marvel at the wisdom of the park and ride built up to the track with no station.

The run into Avonmouth isnt exciting - all of the extensive railway & docks history has long gone and there's not much to see.
If you get off at Avonmouth there's a pleasant enough little park nearby.
As a random fact; The road with the level crossing used to be the end of the A4 road.

If you carry on, the next part is travel though an industrial landscape. It's perhaps interesting but not conventionally scenic or beautiful.
Once you get past the fuel storage depot the view to the left improves a lot and you can see across to Wales. The right hand view is still rather industrial.

Is it one of the best views Europe? No.
Is it interesting, varied and worth a look? Absolutely yes.

Have a good trip.
Mr Toad

trebor79

Established Member
I kept meaning to do the full length of this line when I was a student in Bristol 20 or so years ago. I never did more than Clifton Down to Temple Meads. I think one thing that stopped me was that trains only went all the way to Severn Beach during the week when I was [supposed to be] in lectures. Can't remember now, but it's one of my life's regrets that I didn't do it when I had the chance.

Blinkbonny

That is excellent, Mr Toad, and exactly the sort of things I look out for.

I shall print it out and impress my friend with my knowledge of his local area. Thank you so much.

As to other comments, I have gone back to my Rail Guide to check:

Considered by some to be one of the most scenic railway lines in Europe, the branch... certainly boasts a variety of scenery (some man-made) along its route. Railway Day Trips - Julian Holland. Collins (2014)

So it's in a proper book and everything - so it must be true! :D

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It was highlighted by Thomas Cook as one of the most scenic rail lines in Europe.

I spent many years campaigning for and undertaking voluntary work on this line and still return to Bristol several times to help the Community Rail Partnership. It's absolutely fantastic and fascinating; I hope you enjoy the artwork at each of the stations and have a fantastic ride.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Almost everything is worked by a 165/6 Turbo. The Depot after leaving Temple Meads is Barton Hill

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Got a trip lined up tomorrow to visit the Severn Beach Line. I'm only going as I've got a friend down there and I thought here's a chance to get off my usual beaten track.

Not even just the UK!

Also the timings from Temple Meads for me getting off a B'ham train aren't great, but I notice there is a more frequent service to Avonmouth as a possible stopping off point.

Happy to receive any advice for what to do or look out for.

You might not wish to exit at Avonmouth as there's a major fire at a scrapyard in the docks, so the place stinks more than normal.

I have to say that the claim as to its beauty is a little hard to take seriously. The section in the city is average inner-city neglect and quite a chunk is in cuttings, whilst the section around Sea Mills and Avonmouth is fairly dull. The only bit that's picturesque is the last bit to Severn Beach. That village is, however, intriguing rather than beautiful as it has that slightly "netherworld" feeling of a place on the margins (which to be fair, it is).

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Seven Beaches! Surely another well-kept secret
Truth is probably: just another of thousands of fascinating corners of The Kingdom
I hope to go there sometime

Blinkbonny

Thanks all. Too late to back out now! Sat at New Street waiting for the 10.12 to Bristol. All will be revealed.

Have to say "Rush Hour" trains Cov to Birmingham, normally a scrum even in First, never seen trains so empty.

Even the infamous Cross Country Manchester service - stroll on, stroll off!

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thanks all. Too late to back out now! Sat at New Street waiting for the 10.12 to Bristol. All will be revealed.

Have to say "Rush Hour" trains Cov to Birmingham, normally a scrum even in First, never seen trains so empty.

Are you suggesting you could possibly go on XC without a reservation? And the journey planner not claiming the trains are "full up"....:D

Yes, a line I really must get round to doing. Sounds well worthwhile.

Andy Pacer

Established Member

Similar plan to mine for Thursday although I'll be on the 08.12 from new st.

Blinkbonny

Mission complete, and very nice line in the Autumn sun. Shorter than I was imagining for some reason. Community murals at most stations. Stayed the two hours in the end. Wouldn't bother again! Can't imagine it as the region's Blackpool as it used to be billed!

But certainly hope to do the line again someday without some friend I haven't seen for twenty years yapping away! :D

Managed to make a non-advertised four minute connection journey home with a minute to spare. So happy days!

Thanks again all. Good to be back on the rails again.

Status
Not open for further replies.