• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Shortest Route by Rail: Bus Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

superalbs

Established Member
Struggling with a plan at the moment, to try and avoid a nasty bus ride.

In this scenario, the regular route between A and B is shut, and there are buses instead. However there are train services from A to C, and from C to B. C is further away from A, than B is.

I know the NRCOT states the following:
...by any services (including any change of trains) over the shortest route which can be used by scheduled passenger services between the stations shown on your Ticket;...

Would a passenger be able to use a ticket from A to B, on the trains serving the route A to C to B, by reasoning of this being the shortest route by rail? The NRCOT only seems to mention trains, and the shortest route can only be calculated by the railways, not the roads.

I have summarised the above in a diagram, as shown below.

upload_2019-1-15_23-26-1.png

Thanks for all and any help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member

In this scenario, the regular route between A and B is shut, and there are buses instead. However there are train services from A to C, and from C to B. C is further away from A, than B is.

Would a passenger be able to use a ticket from A to B, on the trains serving the route A to C to B, by reasoning of this being the shortest route by rail? The NRCOT only seems to mention trains, and the shortest route can only be calculated by the railways, not the roads.

View attachment 58037

I'd say you couldn't travel via C, unless there's a specific easement, or you can get an intinerary via C.
Obviously this is assuming that via C isn't in the routeing guide, and is further than 3 miles of the shortest route.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member

View attachment 58037

Effectively you are asking whether the length (and route) of the shortest route can vary depending on the date of your ticket's validity. That's a tough one - I can see arguments both for and against that interpretation. Unfortunately the NRCoT are uselessly vague on this point.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A bus is a "virtual train" so in my book is included in the "scheduled passenger services" banner. So no, if it's not otherwise a Permitted Route you can't, though some better TOCs do arrange sensible acceptance - VTWC certainly near-always do.

robbeech

Established Member
My interpretation is it is not valid (if it’s not normally valid). Of course you could ask an authorised person if it was ok to do this and they might say yes.
Is a ticket between A and C more expensive than A and B?

superalbs

Established Member
My interpretation is it is not valid (if it’s not normally valid). Of course you could ask an authorised person if it was ok to do this and they might say yes.
That would probably be my best bet, and I should have time.

It's annoying to have a perfectly usable rail route with similar journey times (only ten minutes more), but be forced to use the bus anyway.

island

Veteran Member
In my opinion, if you couldn’t go via C when trains are running normally, you can’t when there is a scheduled rail replacement bus either.

It would be sensible to ask an authorised person to agree to allow you via C.

Muzer

Established Member
Yes, the shortest route by rail depends on the current timetable in general (when it refers to "scheduled passenger services"), not the services available at any particular time. Unless the route is closed for an entire timetable period or similar I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on here, unfortunately.

If you haven't yet bought your ticket I'd start looking for more exotic options that might be valid via C.

sheff1

Established Member
It all depends where A, B & C are. Sometimes a ticket may be valid A-C-B regardless of any bus substitutions. This could be the case even if the A-C fare is dearer than the A-B fare.

furlong

Established Member
The bus substitution has no effect on the routes - they continue to be worked out as if the train (replaced by a bus) was still running. It's up to the operator whether or not to add new permitted routes in such circumstances - there's no obligation to do so, but TOCs often do if it reduces the scale of the bus operation required, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.