• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temple Meads

Established Member
We've had threads for Pokemon, and The Thunderbirds (among others I'm sure), so why not another excellent animation?

So, any Simpsons fans on board?

I've long been a fan, since I was about 7, albeit for a 2 year lull from 2008 to 2010.

I personally feel it has lost it's way a bit in recent years, the newer episodes do seem a bit tired, with some gags being repeated over and over again, their still watchable, just not as funny as the classic episodes.

My favourite episode has long been the one where the family have to go to New York to recover their impounded car, least favourite being the recently far too numerous "story" episodes, that were originally just Treehouse of Horror, but seem to have branched out a lot.

PS: I am probably a bit behind, as I don't have SKY1, so get my Simpsons fix on Channel 4.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I used to enjoy it when I was younger, maybe around 10-14; however I find it unwatchable and unfunny now in most cases, certainly anything post-season 9. I have since found a love for Family Guy and American Dad! though, although aimed at different audiences, they leave The Simpsons trailing in its wake. I very rarely watch it any more, though I do still have a love of the early Treehouse of Horror episodes.

Temple Meads

Established Member
I know I should enjoy Family Guy (enough people tell me so :rolleyes:), and American Dad, but I've just never found them that funny, just a bit crass, without any of the endearing nature the earlier Simpsons has.

Sorry to their fans...

Ivo

Established Member
You have upset HEY-OH-EMM-EY-ERR :p To be honest though, I don't watch it all that often now either.

I think it hit a peak in about 2004-ish. I might not like the average musical one bit but my all-time favourite episode is The President Wore Pearls:

-------------------------

I'm so happy with my evil plan,
Say Goodbye to Music, Gym, and Art -
Soon we'll have the perfect school,
Where fun and excitement never start...

I'm so drunk I can barely see,
But it helps me get through another day;
My stomach is filled with haggis and ham,
I've gotta go puke in some hay!

Lisa is a fool

I think the rules are cool!

I'm falling in the pool!

-------------------------

All lyrics from that episode

I also like one specific ToH edition - XV I think. It has Flanders as a psychic, Wiggum as an opium dealer and a take on Fantastic Voyage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the other hand, I find adult humour very hard to understand, so things like Family Guy etc are immature to me.

GB

Established Member
Like the OP I think it has gone down hill over the last couple of seasons and like the OP, I find the story telling episodes really boring.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The Simpsons is definitely past its best, but I wouldn't say it was rubbish, not yet anyway!

Given how many years it's been going, it's not really surprising that it doesn't reach the same heights of excellence that it used to.

Established Member
Again I don't have Sky so rarely see some of the newer ones. Been watching since they were on BBC 2, and now on Channel 4. The older ones are the best, although there have been a couple of newer ones which have been decent. One of my favourite characters is Troy McClure, but of course he hasn't been around for many years.

I do like Family Guy as it's different, but never really found American Dad to be that good.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm a long term enjoyer of the Simpsons. I don't find the newer ones as laugh out loud funny as some of the older ones, but it's still good to see one I haven't seen yet.

43021HST

Established Member
Older ones are certainly the best, One of my favourite moments is when near the end of an epic quest with Grandpa and Bart; Bart's hugging Grandpa in a heart warming family moment, when a German art dealer shouts from his car, "hey fun boys go get yourselves a room". Had me in tears.
My favourite Homer quote is "Trying is the first step to failure" certainly true when I try maths without a calculator.

I tend to treat the Simpsons as a separate entity to family guy, The Simpsons is a bit of a tea time treat to watch meanwhile family guy really is something special.

SS4

Established Member
I like the episode with Scorpio in the most.

I don't get to watch much sky nowadays but those I've seen just aren't up to the same quality. Most of them aren't bad but I do think it's high time the show was cancelled to give it a dignified death

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My favourite ever line:

"D'oh, stupid poetic justice !"

Said by Homer when his armchair collapses after having mercilessly pilloried Bart for joining a Scout like movement where they make crappy wooden furniture :lol:

Crimson_Quiff

The older episodes from the 90s were top. Much laughter was had! But the stuff they come up with these days is just rubbish, to be frank. The storylines have gone so outlandish and what I would consider too obvious that it's not funny anymore. Don't get me wrong, I like the new epidodes in parts but it's certainly not like it was.

NY Yankee

I was addicted to The Simpsons in the 1990's. After 2001-ish, I stopped watching it on a weekly basis. The format of the show changed. It's like they're trying too hard to be funny. My favorite episodes were the ones with Itchy and Scratchy and when Homer went to college. Homer's my favorite character. Bart used to be my favorite character, but he's had a lesser role in the later episodes.

A classic line i remember and it still makes me chuckle was Kent Brockman reporting on Mr Burn's shooting along the lines of "thousands of people are gunned down every day in springfield , none are as important as this one"

Heinz57

One of my favourite characters is Troy McClure, but of course he hasn't been around for many years.

They retired the character out of respect after Phill Hartman passed on, along with his other character, Lionel Hutz.

I am a Simpsons fan, but I deffinatly think its starting to loose its way a bit now, they're starting to run out of ideas so end up doing over the top and stupid stories. It was doing fine until season 19. From 20 onwards its realy started to go down hill. The sad thing is, some of the recent story ideas have been good, they've just been scripted realy badly.

I like Family Guy a lot and I think it is getting better. I myst asmit around season 6 and 7 it dipped a little, but in season 8 it shot right back up and is getting better. Some ideas have been a little touch and go, and they don't seem to abuse Meg as much as they used to - which is a shame. But other than that I think its the best its ever been.

I also like American Dad as much as the next guy, but thats started to lose its way a little. Quite a few of the stories now are pretty bad. The ones that turn out to be a dream and go back to where they started are a bit of a kick in the teeth. The raputre episode from season 6 was awful.

Going back to The Simpsons. My all time favorite moment comes from I think it was season 3. To set the scene: Bart gives blood to Mr Burns and they receive no thanks for it, Homer is angry and writes a strongly worded letter. Marge talks to her husband and Homer then decdies not to send it. Bart however finds the letter and posts it. To try and intercept it, Homer and Bart visit the post office...

Homer - Hello, my name is Mr Burns, I beleive you have a letter for me
Post Office Guy - Ok Mr Burns, whats your first name?
Homer - I don't know

My favorite characters are Homer and Maggie.

I also agree with SS4, I think it might be time to call it a day with The Simpsons. Its best for them to end it now and for it to die with dignity. Than for it to get worse and worse and get embaressingly pulled by Fox.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Also love the older Simpsons. Favourite episode is the monorail one :) with the file photo of Homer with a mouthful of cigarettes.

Favourite scene is from the vegetarian episode where Bart and Lisa read Homer's barbecue invitation:

Lisa: "Come to Homer's BBBQ. The extra B is for BYOBB."

Bart: "What's THAT extra B for?"

Homer: "That's a typo."

Ivo

Established Member
Going back to The Simpsons. My all time favorite moment comes from I think it was season 3. To set the scene: Bart gives blood to Mr Burns and they receive no thanks for it, Homer is angry and writes a strongly worded letter. Marge talks to her husband and Homer then decdies not to send it. Bart however finds the letter and posts it. To try and intercept it, Homer and Bart visit the post office...

[YOUTUBE]ogaJ0CygjnI[/YOUTUBE]

I personally like this one (which I have linked to before on here):

[YOUTUBE]HKSnRkARktk[/YOUTUBE]

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I used to be a massive Simpsons fan, and still occasionally watch older episodes from the 1990s which contain some great material. I haven't actually watched it regularly since about 2004, but I'd previously watched it most nights on Sky 1. Like others, I think Family Guy is far funnier these days - though it took some getting used to when I first watched it.

SS4

Established Member
Am I the only one who can't stand family guy? Not only does McFarlane recycle (I'm trying to be kind here) ideas but it has no structure and the "gags" don't make any sense. Much as I can tire of the simpsons always ending in the right way at least it gets a plot no matter how tenuous.

South Park summed up family guy well with the manatee

Ivo

Established Member
Am I the only one who can't stand family guy? Not only does McFarlane recycle (I'm trying to be kind here) ideas but it has no structure and the "gags" don't make any sense. Much as I can tire of the simpsons always ending in the right way at least it gets a plot no matter how tenuous.

The only ever episode that I have been shown that I would even consider watching without anyone else having already put it on would be Blue Harvest (the first of the three Star Wars parodies; I haven't seen the other two). I just got what is so funny about toilet humour.

Anonywave

Yeah, the simpsons is deffo nowhere near as good as it used to be, however the bar has been raised in the most recent season (23), especially Holidays of Future Passed which I believe is probably the best episode I have seen in at least 9 years.

SS4 said:

I reckon that its been pretty bad since season 5, however you cant really blame Seth, he isn't really involved too much anymore.

Heinz57

Yeah, the simpsons is deffo nowhere near as good as it used to be, however the bar has been raised in the most recent season (23), especially Holidays of Future Passed which I believe is probably the best episode I have seen in at least 9 years.

That was a pretty good episode. Loved it how the school had turned into the apartments and Bart lives in his old 4th grade class room. And Skinner is the land lord!

I must admit that Futurama also tickles me. Maybe just my sense of humour though. :)

The first four seasons were good. The new season was awful, it just started to get too far fetched. I know its all of course futuristic but after a bit it just started to get silly. I mean a bunch of cats, some yarn and a wooden turn wheel slowing and reversing the rotation of the earth? That got a little too stupid for my liking.

SS4

Established Member
The first four seasons [of futurama] were good. The new season was awful, it just started to get too far fetched. I know its all of course futuristic but after a bit it just started to get silly. I mean a bunch of cats, some yarn and a wooden turn wheel slowing and reversing the rotation of the earth? That got a little too stupid for my liking.

(Bold added by myself)
I'm inclined to agree with that. Didn't think much of the movies/season "5" either.

The Robot Devil is classic though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.