• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Snowdonian 1.. 37406 The Saltaire Society.. 18/06/05

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pathfinders The Snowdonian 1 ran on the 18th June 2005 with 37406 The Saltaire Society as motive power. The train began at Sheffield and was originally destined for Pwllheli but 37406 was in trouble and shut down twice between Sheffield and Birmingham. Reports suggest it again shut down at Coseley and coasted to Wolverhampton!! Fitters diagnosed the problem as loss of coolant and a special stop was made at Oxley Carriage Sidings to top up. By this time Network Rail had refused permission to go to Pwllheli due to the long single track sections and fear of blocking the route if 406 shut down again. The destination was changed to..... Blackpool!!
Thanks to Six Bells Junction for the info.

https://youtu.be/g0VbHd0K5K8

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
A good old shambles that one was, I remember it well. The nearest loco capable of rescuing the tour if it were to fail was in Scotland if my memory is right.

When the tour left Crewe, we had no idea where it was going to. One of my travelling companions abandoned ship at Warrington and went home. Another has travelled on very few tours since.

Status
Not open for further replies.