The Southwold Railway

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by Paul Sidorczuk, 5 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    Being on holiday for eight days in East Anglia and having one of my sons resident in that locality of Southwold, he showed me a copy of The Southwold Journal dated Friday, 1st May, that has the front page headline story by Polly Grice reporting on a meeting of Suffolk Coastal District Council have finally made a decision to reject the application of the Southwold Railway Trust to try to build a replica station at Wenhaston with 450 metres of running track. There is a picture of the former Wenhaston station with the front page article.

2. 306024

306024 Established Member

No surprise there. Southwold is too genteel to have anything so vulgar as a railway, even if it used to. At least it has a brewery. Hope you enjoyed your holiday by the way.

I have walked part of the old track bed from Southwold, but apart from the odd earthworks there is not a lot left to see.

3. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    The brewery certainly has some quite modern equipment...and beer prices that seem "reassuringly expensive" to coin a phrase of a European brewery. The little town museum was really interesting.

4. alxndr

alxndr Member

Not surprised either, it's been mentioned several times over the years, but I don't think anyone ever had any faith in it actually coming to fruition. There was, as far as I'm aware, never any plan of it going anywhere Southwold, or even Halesworth.

Seems like they'll just have to stick with the little sign at the edge of the road.

Reassuring to the tourists perhaps, the locals and their guts (and wallets) know better. Although growing up there has made me astounded everytime I walk into a pub in any other part of the country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.