• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The St.Pancras Screech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
You referring to St Pancras Low Level, soutg end of the platforms? 319s had a pretty epic squeal too.

EM2

Established Member
Track, or more specifically the very tight curvature of it.
It happens with 319s, 377s, 387s and 700s, and even 73s on engineering trains.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The St Pancras Screech is there to drown out the St Pancras Sigh, coming from delayed passengers.

Supercoss

Defective ' friction modifier' in tunnel and also difficulty sourcing correct grease for wet/dry tunnel environment - engineers aware noise levels monitored, similar in plat 'A' recently rectified

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
It's not even audible on the concourse.
Bombs could drop on the concourse and it wouldn't be audible down there in the bowels of the station in Thameslink land. It probably annoys the 'freeloaders' hovering round to the rear of Northbound trains for the first class sections most. Can be quite a screech at times.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Bombs could drop on the concourse and it wouldn't be audible down there in the bowels of the station in Thameslink land. It probably annoys the 'freeloaders' hovering round to the rear of Northbound trains for the first class sections most. Can be quite a screech at times.

I think I can suffer the noise to get into 'first class'. The bigger problem is that there's no drawbridge to get on or off the train easily!

ijmad

Established Member
What about the St Pancras Stench?
Low level often seems to smell like a dank sewer, sometimes you can smell it at ticket hall level...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What about the St Pancras Stench?
Low level often seems to smell like a dank sewer, sometimes you can smell it at ticket hall level...
I've never smelt that... But it wouldn't be surprising given that the Fleet sewer is located just behind the east side of the low level platform box.

ijmad

Established Member
I've never smelt that... But it wouldn't be surprising given that the Fleet sewer is located just behind the east side of the low level platform box.

Was noticeable a few times in the summer for me (was commuting through the station most days). I think I do have a sensitive nose though.

Status
Not open for further replies.