• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The State Of Our Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno2055

With just 7 YEARS untill the olympics ( see what im getting to here, 7 years to clean the tube up, they wont bother till the final week) do you think we can get the worlds largest underground railway network to look as bright and pretty as ohter ones all over the world? Do you think that it is already nice, or do you think that it is more important to get people from a to b and money should be spent on improving our transport network than just brightening things up and hoping for the best?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Jonno2055 said:
With just 7 YEARS untill the olympics ( see what im getting to here, 7 years to clean the tube up, they wont bother till the final week)
The tube is pretty clean, the Bakerloo IIRC is coming to the end of its current deep clean, with the SSL's up next IIRC.
do you think we can get the worlds largest underground railway network to look as bright and pretty as ohter ones all over the world?
We aren't the world's largest if i remember correctly. We are the world's oldest. ;)
Do you think that it is already nice, or do you think that it is more important to get people from a to b and money should be spent on improving our transport network than just brightening things up and hoping for the best?
It's definately a benefit for having the addition to the tube network. Stratford International station is already planned to have the Javelin shuttle, CTRL, DLR, etc.

The Jubilee Line is also in the planning to extend to Stratford International I believe.

Jonno2055

Oldest thats it, I like stratford jubilee, the new section is very clean and run very well, but have you been on the district line?

T

Tom

Yes. Very nice and comfy seats, but they're replacing them with (mind the language) CRAP seats in the refurbs!

Jonno2055

They need to 'spruce' up stratford mainline station, its a meess, something needs to be done about the poor old signal box, it could be turned in to a viewing post once olympic park is built and what about the station building that they chopped in half.
Some parts of the tube are ok but their are someparts that need alot of work, run down stations.

Jonno2055

I liked the jubilee stock, it was spacious, places to put luggage however some of the statiuons built were a waist of money, WEST HAM is an example, it is massive, far to big maybe now it will get some use being rather close to olympic park, people may get off and walk or get a us, grenage is a nother example but with basket ball being held their it sould fill up.

Dave A

IMO people have no right to complain when it costs a maximum of £12 to go round London, some of Middlesex & Essex and wherever Amersham is.

For the age of The Tube, it is magnificent the way it is still running. Most lines are around 80 years old and its still going strong. People can complain about the heat and safety, but Air con isn't happening because it can't, besides we only get around 30 hot days a year, and we have the same security as all the other mass transit systems in the world, probably better.

As for the cleanliness of the tube, its improved a hell of a lot. I remember around 10 years ago on a summers day. I went in sandals & shorts into Central London and I came back with feet and legs that were black and my hands weren't great either. Now that doesn't happen at all so somethings happened since then and dare I say it, yes that something is:

TfL :mrgreen: :P

Jonno2055

I like the tube but i am just saying that when all these foregners come over here for the olympics, the gov. want them to be impressed not about getting people from a to be, and it is cheap to get aroung london, 14 pounds for an adult to get from witham to london and travel round it. Anyway im talking about the waste of money on the size of the stations on the jub. extension. West ham didn't need a station that big and wont until 2012.

Tom B

Established Member
Jonno2055 said:
West ham didn't need a station that big and wont until 2012.

Then how do you suggest the capacity needed in 2012 will be met? Magically extend the platforms?

Tom B

Established Member
Depends on the measure - the tube is longest route milage, but the NYC subway has the most stations.

jd

Hmm... I wonder if maybe the 2012 bid was already pretty clear as far as using Stratford and the Dome are concerned when they built the Jubbly ext, Stratford is way too big IMO to ever reach capacity with normal commuter traffic, or even Dome traffic. As for Stratford NR station, methinks it needs bulldozering. And re-route the Central line so it does something more sensible than the current arrangement...

How about - existing JLE platforms left as they are (assuming there's no extension added), new Central line platforms built alongside them, and DLR fitted in somewhere, with the mainline platforms on top of them? Lots of space in the circulation areas, naturally...

joeholmes

Something also interesting about the new york train system The largest station in the world is in fact Grand Central in It has a wooping 44 platforms!

Joe

District Dave

I hope no-one will object if I drag this thread kicking and screaming back to the original purpose.

As has been pointed out, there were a couple of factual inaccuracies in the initial post, but the point I'd particularly like to address was the comment about the work being left to 'the week before'.

I realise that this comment was made in a tongue in cheek way, but (irrespective of the Olympic bid) the plans for the improvements were laid out some time ago.

In particular respect to the Sub-Surface Lines (i.e. the District, Circl/H&C and Met) on my web site I published my version of these plans. For those of you who haven't read it, and wish to, it's at http://www.trainweb.org/districtdave/html/upgrade_plans.html

I'll be happy to try to answer any questions you may have.

tubechallenger said:
Jonno2055 said:
We aren't the world's largest if i remember correctly. We are the world's oldest.

Well we have the most dense railway system in the world compared to out size

(dense might not be right word, cant think of the other word i wanted to use. any suggestions will be welcome)

Status
Not open for further replies.