• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The State of Rail in Devon and Cornwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapidash

Seeing as Lincolnshire has one....

Things do occasionally happen down here, outside of Dawlish being smote and its Never Ending Thread, so I thought I might start a more general thread for things that have caught my eye in the local press (Express and Error, Horrid Express, Western Boring News etc) and most importantly of all, the creation of a Place of Safety for 455Driver, incase a horde of angry people come after him.:lol:

So lettuce begin!

Express and Error

Two of the most heavily used Tarka Line rail services between Exeter and Barnstaple are to carry an extra coach.

Starting on December 16, the 7am southbound departure from Barnstaple will carry an additional coach providing over 70 extra seats.

The notoriously overcrowded 4.pm57 northbound departure from Exeter St. David’s will also be strengthened with additional rolling stock.

Tarka Rail Association (TRA) chairman, John Phillips, said:“It’s not a simple matter of saying ‘why don’t they just put on more coaches’” . “The fact of the matter is there are no more coaches! And there won’t be for another two or three years, when electification on other parts of the rail network frees up additional diesel rolling stock for the South-West.

“First Great Western, the current franchise holder, has done wonders with the limited equipment that the Department for Transport makes available to them.

“Finding these additional coaches is no small achievement, but the result of innovative scheduling and the fine-tuning of complex service rotas.”

Hooray!

Horrid Express

NEWTON Abbot railway station is going to look like Harrods this Christmas.

Builders working on the new roof and clock are decorating the scaffolding and say children may spot Santa waving from the top.

The lights will be switched on by town mayor Mike Hocking on Monday at 6pm.

"It will look amazing, we are trying to create a London Harrods look for the community of Newton Abbot," said Kevin Butler, who is organising the light show. "All the contractors have donated their time and services."

First Call Building Services, based at Euston Station in London, is carrying out the six-month, £700,000 work to renew the station roof, guttering and down pipes, restore the clock, clean the brick and stonework, replace windows and the front canopy glass .

"We will also have a Father Christmas on the top lift of the scaffold waving down and there is a charity link for the Footsteps for Louie fund."

The fund is for two-year-old Louie, from Torquay, who needs an £80,000 operation to help him walk.

He was born eight weeks premature with cerebral palsy and needs to see a world-leading US surgeon for the treatment.

Anything to distract oneself from being on Takeaway Alleyway is a good thing;)

Citizen Rail

The first anniversary of improved train services between Newton Abbot and Torbay, made possible by the Citizens’ Rail project, was marked by the cutting of a special birthday cake at Paignton station today.

Since the improved service began, there have been 20% more trains between Paignton, Torquay, Torre and Newton Abbot on weekdays, meaning that there are at least two trains an hour each way throughout most of the day.

The service improvements are part of the Citizens’ Rail project, 50% funded by the EU Interreg IVB programme and whose local partners are Torbay Council, Devon County Council, First Great Western, Plymouth University and the Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership.

I didn't get any cake:|

And on an additional note, from something that affected me briefly earlier today:

Express and Error

Safety checks are currently causing disruption on train services between Exeter and Plymouth.

All lines are blocked due to the obstruction on the line, leading to cancellations and delays of up to an hour.

CrossCountry have no estimate for when a normal service will resume. the obstruction is also affecting First Great Western.

First Great Western said services are now on the move but delays are to be expected.

Come forth one and all!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
Very positive news for the Barnstaple time. No disrespect to other community/line associations, it is nice to have a chairman who is "switched on" and aware of the limitations.

I imagine strengthening the 16:57 is very important. I presume this service will also have a Ticket Examiner on-board for all of the passengers requiring rest stops on (presumably) the 153.

Temple Meads

Established Member
I do wonder where that extra coach has come from, or whether it was actually 'sitting spare'.

The 16:57 definitely needs it, though!

Rich McLean

Established Member
I do wonder where that extra coach has come from, or whether it was actually 'sitting spare'.

The 16:57 definitely needs it, though!

I am guessing it would be the 153 which normally runs to Plymouth and Back. I guess this will now run as a 150 robbed from elsewhere (and this has run as a 150 before)

Rapidash

You go to bed for 8 hours and something appears....

Beeb

Almost half the length of Devon and Cornwall's main rail lines are at risk of flooding because of climate change, an internal Network Rail report claims.

The study released to the BBC found 42% of primary rail routes could be disrupted.

Entitled Increasing Climate Change Resilience, it said "extreme weather events" are likely to be more frequent.

The report said Network Rail is developing a "climate change adaptation strategy" worth millions of pounds.

The report classed "extreme weather events" as the storm which breached the sea wall at Dawlish in February, causing weeks of rail disruption.

The report listed particularly vulnerable areas as:

1)The seafront stretch of rail line between the Exe Estuary and Newton Abbot, which includes the Dawlish section

2)The Somerset Levels, where large areas were underwater for weeks earlier this year

3)The Cowley Bridge junction, outside of Exeter, which has suffered repeated flooding

Disruption to rail services into and out of Devon and Cornwall can cost the region's economy tens of millions of pounds, the study notes.

The chairman of the South West Peninsula Rail Task Force, Councillor Andrew Leadbetter, said: "I didn't realise just how vulnerable the main rail lines were.

"I am concerned. This means we have to lobby the government even harder to make sure our vital train links are protected."

Mike Gallop, Network Rail's director of route asset management, said: "What we're doing is developing a strategy to look at some of the possible solutions and mitigations and then working over the next 15 to 20 years to make sure we can hold the railway line to the south west peninsula."

The government is carrying out a feasibility study into an alternative rail line, which would run inland from Exeter to Plymouth, via Okehampton, avoiding the vulnerable stretch around Dawlish.

Something about the lack of a bodily fluid and a famed detective springs to mind for most of that:)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I am guessing it would be the 153 which normally runs to Plymouth and Back. I guess this will now run as a 150 robbed from elsewhere (and this has run as a 150 before)

By amended maintenance re-arranging where by a 153 that was allocated to Maint in the afternoon has now been made available to strengthen. It attaches at StDavids but on a Friday can be a bit tight as it works 15 20 Westbury to Exeter St.Davids first.

Last edited:

RPI

Established Member
There will be a ticket examiner on the early morning service that's now a 3 car but not on the 17:02 EXD - BNP, however, the odd inspector will appear on it from time to time

Muzer

Established Member
You go to bed for 8 hours and something appears....

Beeb

Something about the lack of a bodily fluid and a famed detective springs to mind for most of that:)
Bodily FLUID? I'm concerned for your health...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Where do they get these people from? The chairnan of the South West Peninsula Rail Task Force was unaware of the scale of the flooding problem?! Does he play Candy Crush all the way through briefings and meetings, or perhaps fill in his expenses claims. The time for talking is over, the time for doing is upon us. Big money is required, and not on consultants' reports, get the surveyors out and start buying the necessary tracts of land, necessary that is to provide a guaranteed unbreakable rail service between Taunton and Penzance.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Further reports this morning has revealed that the South West will only get £40m, so bob hope of no hope of any alternative route anytime soon

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The Looe Branch has been strengthened this week - by a bus. The attraction being the Cola lorry in town.

21C101

Established Member
The Looe Branch has been strengthened this week - by a bus. The attraction being the Cola lorry in town.

I wonder how much it would cost to adapt some redundant MK3s so that they could be inserted as centre cars in 2 car sprinters when needed?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I wonder how much it would cost to adapt some redundant MK3s so that they could be inserted as centre cars in 2 car sprinters when needed?

The Looe Branch is 153 except High Summer when a 150 works.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There will be a ticket examiner on the early morning service that's now a 3 car but not on the 17:02 EXD - BNP, however, the odd inspector will appear on it from time to time

Is the 17 02 worked by a 150/2 with a through gangway to the 153 to enable adequate Revenue Protection. Granted, the majority of people would have travelled to Exeter earlier and be in possession of return tickets.

CC 72100

Established Member
Is the 17 02 worked by a 150/2 with a through gangway to the 153 to enable adequate Revenue Protection. Granted, the majority of people would have travelled to Exeter earlier and be in possession of return tickets.

Sometimes even corridor connections make no difference - too many passengers in not enough time between stations.

Revenue protection on the line when multiple working seems to depend entirely on the individual) I have however seen Guards "jumping" between units on the Barnstaple line at every station, therefore doing revenue in both units, I have also seen a guard who intended to stay in one unit only and would therefore stop at all request stops, and then there is one particular guard who whenever he takes over a Barnstaple-bound train at St Davids will lock out the rear unit, (sometimes one of the 2 x143, on other occasions the 153 which was with a 150/1). This was however in the middle of the day with a light load.

Rapidash

I'm fairly certain there's been an increase in ticket inspections recently. Certainly it's been a regular occurrence on the Riviera bit to have a guard/Ticket person in both 143/153's over the last few months.

Had the bizarre sight of a guard and three RP types working from both ends of a 153 shuttle a month or so back. Think there was only about dozen passengers on it, and we all got checked twice :lol: (in 20 minutes!)

plymothian

The 07.00 exBNP was a 150/+153 on Wednesday (which broke down) and was replaced by a 150/2+153 today. No additional revenue help though.

CC 72100

Established Member
I'm fairly certain there's been an increase in ticket inspections recently. Certainly it's been a regular occurrence on the Riviera bit to have a guard/Ticket person in both 143/153's over the last few months.

To be honest, it's common sense. It doesn't take much to work out that the guard is 'trapped' in one half of the train so won't be inspecting your ticket, and if inspections are rare then it's an easy one to get away with - makes sense having staff in all parts of the train.

I think ANorthern Guard has said about people know to go in the front unit because the guard can't work the train from there, so know the drill to get a free ride everytime. (This is on Northern, to avoid all confusion)

Rapidash

Had an 'interesting' experience last night.

I was on the 1723 out of Central to Paignton. Usual run of the mill journey until we pull into Dawlish Warren.

One of my fellow passengers saw two young blokes standing over a collapsed older person who was lying on the ramp up to the 'up' platform, just past the anti-trespass spikes. Guard saw it, called it in to control, and police and ambulance called (this was roughly 1745)

Naturally everyone had an opinion, my own first thought it was a group who were pished on NYE having an 'adventure', but it gradually became clearer that the two younger people had possibly pulled this person from the tracks and were attempting first aid. All line were now closed, causing the usual backlog.

About ten minutes after we had arrived, 4 police cars turned up (?!) and stood around assessing the situation, waiting for an ambulance to turn up, which it eventually it did (after another five mins or so) The police attempted to wander off at this point, so the driver had to run over the walkthrough to get them to call the signaller to say the issue was resolved. He should probably just shouted, as he then had to run back to the bridge to get to his cab, due to the HST's recommencing :lol: Total clear up time was about 40 minutes, which I thought was a minor inconvenience compared to what might have happened if person had not been spotted.

Managed to finally get out of the Warren around 1820, but were informed that we'd be terminating at Newton, and that the next Metro service was behind us, so we got turfed out in the freezing cold to await our saviour.

Before the next service comes in, we hear the guard on the phone to (I presume) control, who told him that the train that was coming in was going straight back to Exeter , and that the one we'd just arrived on was....going to Paignton :lol: Mass sigh of exasperation noted by all concerned. Guard and driver were switched between vehicles, and we finally went on our merry way, around half an hour late.

I have to say the guard and driver did a stirling job keeping everyone informed of what was going on, both of the incident and the process of 'getting someone to make a decision about reopening' (Guards words) and making sure that we knew about the next service.

The guard who transferred over at Newton apologised for the 'chaos' and hoped we had a good NYE. Passengers were pretty good throughout the whole thing, mostly because they were all either knackered from work or already three sheets to the wind.

Such fun! ;)

Train jaune

Had a few days away near Exmouth before Christmas and very nice it was too. The state of railways in that part of the country looked good to me compared with some of the services here in the NW. Trains to Exeter and beyond were very regular and ran late into the evening allowing for night out in Exeter before catching the train home. They may have been crappy pacers some of the time but it's far better than nothing.

Rapidash

There was a small pro-renationalisation protest outside Exeter Central this evening - poorly presented placards and all. They attempted to incercept me, but, uh....i had a train to catch.....:)

Whilst on that train, i saw (or possibly hallucinated) a 158 doing an Exmouth run. Pioneer of the coming cascade, or has a 143 exploded, leaving Exeter short? Only time will tell!;)

D1009

Established Member
Whilst on that train, i saw (or possibly hallucinated) a 158 doing an Exmouth run. Pioneer of the coming cascade, or has a 143 exploded, leaving Exeter short? Only time will tell!;)
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=2028168#post2028168

The other sub forums are your friend.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Had a few days away near Exmouth before Christmas and very nice it was too. The state of railways in that part of the country looked good to me compared with some of the services here in the NW. Trains to Exeter and beyond were very regular and ran late into the evening allowing for night out in Exeter before catching the train home. They may have been crappy pacers some of the time but it's far better than nothing.

Do I get the impression pacers are more popular down west than in the north?

starrymarkb

Established Member
They are as they've been given a decent refurb and are looked after well. Also much of the time they run in pairs or with a 153. Pacers working solo soon get overwhelmed

fgwrich

Established Member
They are as they've been given a decent refurb and are looked after well. Also much of the time they run in pairs or with a 153. Pacers working solo soon get overwhelmed

That to me is one of the benefits of the good operator that is FGW. I was down there this weekend and had a mixture of Single 150/2s, Double 150/1s, 150+153s, Pairs of 143s and 150926 all out and about on the Metro. Barely any overcrowding other than on the usual leg from Central to St Davids - Not bad for a day with both football at St James Park and the mighty Exeter Chiefs v Gloucester at Sandy Park (Digby & Sowton/Exmouth Branch for those not in the know).

And the condition of the stock was perfectly fine too, FGWs 143s really are the best of a not bad bunch - and are rather adequate in my eyes on the Exmouth-Exeter-Paignton services they work.

Here is an interior shot of one of FGWs for those not yet travelled on them.

Attachments

• DSCF2456.jpg
    DSCF2456.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
Yes, when I travelled down to Exeter a short while ago, I was surprised with the trains being in reasonably good condition, the 143s were very clean internally, even down to there being little/no dirt around the windows and no dead insects in the light casing. The pacers look better internally than some of the 158s... I was on a 150 earlier operating on a service Gloucester that had one set of exterior doors taped shut, and the open button taped over! I was on another recently that had the hazard tape holding a couple of light fittings up!

I think the main issue in Devon is the overcrowding on the Barnstaple line. It's good to know FGW are taking this on board and are attaching an extra carriage on selected services to help, but I think there is still a lot of work to be done here.

Rapidash

And the condition of the stock was perfectly fine too, FGWs 143s really are the best of a not bad bunch - and are rather adequate in my eyes on the Exmouth-Exeter-Paignton services they work

You saw it at the weekend, just after christmas in the offpeak:)Even then, I saw a few services full to the gunwales headed to/from Sandy Park. Guess the bitterness of defeat forced them onto the train!

I can assure you that it went straight back to being rammed yesterday when everyone was back to work/uni/college.:o

If anyone wants to see the Metro at its best (worst) try it between 9 -11 in the mornings and 3 -6 in the afternoon during the week. And then tell me they are adequate.

Doubled 143's fully rammed, something inevitably breaking or a HST delaying us. All the fun of the modern commute - with a view!:lol:

I do wonder why many visitors are so keen on the 143's - does it remind them of home or something? Your more than welcome to the things when the cascade happens!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.