• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The strike ? (18/03 Manchester - Cleethorpes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeman0

I was told today I couldn't book seats on the Cleethorpes to Man picc route for Friday 18th as there is a possibility of strike action, booked the tickets online last Friday, that was sudden, can anyone shed any light on this? Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I was told today I couldn't book seats on the Cleethorpes to Man picc route for Friday 18th as there is a possibility of strike action, booked the tickets online last Friday, that was sudden, can anyone shed any light on this? Cheers.

FTPE receive notification from ASLEF of intention to strike on Friday 18 March

10 Mar 2016

Paul Watson, Operations Director said, “We are extremely disappointed and frustrated by ASLEF’s announcement to strike on Friday 18 March. It serves no purpose other than to cause unnecessary disruption to our customers, who just want to get to work and go about their day-to-day business with minimal fuss.

“We have been in talks with ASLEF over the past week regarding the three separate issues that they have raised and which we had offered a resolution for. We are keen to continue these talks to resolve this matter as soon as possible; our main priority is to ensure that our customers are not affected by this.”

This strike action is in response to three separate issues which we have offered a resolution for;
•The use of Driver Standards Managers (DSMs) to conduct drivers on services
•The running of a train to get rugby fans to the six nations Calcutta match via the East Coast Mainline to mitigate the closure of the West Coast Mainline due to the recent closure of the Lamington Viaduct
•Request for all the Drivers Council to have a guaranteed five days release every four weeks

weeman0

Thanks James, I hope this can all be resolved to everyone's satisfaction, but it looks like I'll be asking tpe for yet another refund as I booked a journey after they knew about this. Beginning to think they should send out claim forms with the tickets. :cry:

Established Member
Thanks James, I hope this can all be resolved to everyone's satisfaction, but it looks like I'll be asking tpe for yet another refund as I booked a journey after they knew about this. Beginning to think they should send out claim forms with the tickets. :cry:

Normally it would be shown on Nation Rail Enquires, advising of a possible strike, but there is nothing shown on there as yet.

Established Member
Is this a midnight to midnight strike in terms of hours or will it also extend into the early hours of Saturday morning?

No idea, I only know about it, because I saw someone had asked the question on Facebook, all TPEX did in reply was post the link to the statement I posted above.

D1009

Established Member
FTPE receive notification from ASLEF of intention to strike on Friday 18 March

This strike action is in response to three separate issues which we have offered a resolution for;
•The use of Driver Standards Managers (DSMs) to conduct drivers on services
•The running of a train to get rugby fans to the six nations Calcutta match via the East Coast Mainline to mitigate the closure of the West Coast Mainline due to the recent closure of the Lamington Viaduct
•Request for all the Drivers Council to have a guaranteed five days release every four weeks
Does anyone know what the issue was with the running of a train to get rugby fans to the six nations Calcutta match via the East Coast Mainline to mitigate the closure of the West Coast Mainline due to the recent closure of the Lamington Viaduct?

455driver

Veteran Member
Those 3 reasons don't quite tally with what I am hearing.

As I understand it, the main reason is DSMs driving trains.

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
With regard to the rugby specials, it is more due to the continued use of freightliner drivers to cover trains north of Newcastle where there is a traincrew depot at Newcastle who could drive the trains. There has also never been any TPE drivers based at Glasgow either, despite previous promises to take the driving in house this has never happened and west coast routes continue to be crewed by freightliner. Glasgow conductors sign ECML GLC-NCL yet Newcastle conductors don't. It all makes for a very inefficient use of resources
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Update!!!

Strike has been called off. Rest day working has now been sanctioned until the end of the month

DarloRich

Veteran Member
IN BROTHERS IN! ;)

Good news that a deal has been done, at least in the short term. Will this allow more detailed discussions to take place with a view to a longer deal?

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Yes, a referendum is going out to all drivers to say yay or nay but a long term deal is now in the pipeline which involves a 4 day week (156 rest days a year) amongst other things

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
There has also never been any TPE drivers based at Glasgow either, despite previous promises to take the driving in house this has never happened and west coast routes continue to be crewed by freightliner.

Do they wear TPE uniform or Freightliner?

Status
Not open for further replies.