• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Terror of Class 153 Rail Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozhua

Established Member
Been as there was one for the Pacers, then the 150's, I thought I should make one for one of the arguably worst trains in operation on UK rails today, the Class 153. It really completes the terrible trilogy of trains; Pacers, 150's and 153's.

There's the noise.

The terrible seating with no legroom.

And last, but not least, the fact that it allows for 1 carriage to be run on routes where a 1 carriage train should never EVER be deployed...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
Not forgetting the exhaust fumes in the cabin that seem to plague every one I travel on.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Been as there was one for the Pacers, then the 150's, I thought I should make one for one of the arguably worst trains in operation on UK rails today, the Class 153. It really completes the terrible trilogy of trains; Pacers, 150's and 153's.

There's the noise.

The terrible seating with no legroom.

And last, but not least, the fact that it allows for 1 carriage to be run on routes where a 1 carriage train should never EVER be deployed...
One carriage is better than none... ;)

I don't mind 153s it's better then nothing when I'm out I always try to get a 153 in somewhere I had 3 when I did my Lancashire day ranger

Iskra

Established Member
I prefer them to 150's any day.

Being one carriage is beneficial for strengthening other DMU's or for lines with low loadings that would not otherwise be viable.

Ken H

On Moderation
i'd rather have a 153 tacked onto a 158, rather than have to squash in just 2 car 158

YorksDMU

They do, dare I say it, ride better than a Pacer, and don’t throw you out of your seat onto the floor. That has happened to me several times in a 142 bucking and swaying over jointed track. 153’s just have a nice gentle swaying ride which usually puts me to sleep!
But, additional to what has been listed, the heating is a big problem. My last journey, in a 153, to date, in the middle of a heatwave, the heating was full on! It was just the same as being in a jungle, absolutely horrible complete with a very nasty musty smell from the seats too. No wonder they are nicknamed Dogboxes!

Jozhua

Established Member
In the North and other areas 153's seem well utilised in at least two car formations or to strengthen other units.

Unfortunately, in the East Midlands single carriage running is very common on Derby-Crewe and I have had many overcrowded single carriage rides on the Matlock-Newark Castle route.

Some journeys have left people stranded on platforms on a small rural branch line! On another one a passenger got stranded in the toilet because it was too crowded to get out.

Together, they are okay, seperately, awful!

using them on their own is a no no some lines get quite busy and putting them on their own leads to severe overcrowding and like some have said leave people behind the ones I've had have been uesd to strengthen 158s or 150/2s to make 3 car

Rick1984

I was on one that was completely full and standing on East Suffolk and was impressive listening to it struggling to pull away from station

Sprinter107

They lose time dreadfully on the Snow Hill lines especially in the peaks, with just those narrow doors at each end. They are not suitable for busy suburban lines with frequent station stops.

xotGD

Established Member
2+2 seating and tables. Doors at the end so you don't get frozen sat in every station. Happy days.

When 153s started appearing on Pontefract Line services coupled to a Pacer it was a real Brucie Bonus.

AC47461

Funny, I was just thinking that myself, there's only a handful of 155s (8 or 9?) but I wonder how they have fared compared the the 153s?
On the 153s, I wonder if they are just a victim in some respects of the resurgence in rail travel. When they were converted, many (but possibly not all) of the lines they were used on only needed single carriage trains, but it doesn't take much of an increase to fill them up entirely. I don't think the units themselves are all that bad, save for the fact that as many of them are likely for replacement soon means they're getting a bit tired, certainly the GA ones are.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
The only time a Class 153 isn't great to travel in is if it runs on it's own at busy times on busy routes.

My first Class 153 trip was on Monday 6th March 2017, 13:42 from Derby to Stoke-on-Trent which happens to have been also my very first East Midlands Trains journey too. Nice run that was and the train had a little bit of a squeaky fan belt that's all. The seats were comfortable and found a table seat.

I think the dislike of them is when they run in 1-car formations.

Rick1984

They'd be ok if they weren't so cramped. The legroom can only be down to cramming seats in to make up for there only being 1 carriage.

trebor79

Established Member
They lose time dreadfully on the Snow Hill lines especially in the peaks, with just those narrow doors at each end. They are not suitable for busy suburban lines with frequent station stops.
Especially the door at the end with the cab grafted into it. Lady today got a buggy wedged between the door aperture and the cab, took a while to get it unjammed!

Sprinter107

I get more complaints from passengers about 153s than all the other types put together.

Aictos

Established Member
I prefer them to 150's any day.

Being one carriage is beneficial for strengthening other DMU's or for lines with low loadings that would not otherwise be viable.

This is exactly why the Class 153s were created from the Class 155s in the first place!!!!

Sprinter107

Yet ironically, the major complaint about 153d (their length) goes away if they get put together!
Not on the Snow Hill lines. They dont run on their own. They run in pairs, but that doesnt stop the complaints. As they lose time, they start gathering passengers for the next service, so they get very overcrowded in the peaks.

Jozhua

Established Member
To a point. I would rather have a 156 then 2x 153. Mainly for the leg room.

But overcrowding has certainly helped suppress growth in Lincolnshire.

Yes! The legroom is absolutely awful. The noise also contributes to making them pretty unbearable, even compared to the pretty bad noise of the 156's.

One thing I think I will say in their defence is that the toilets are actually pretty good. In a 2x 153, there's a good provision and they're well lit and seem more cleanly than those of other units.

At least EMR has promised no more single carriage running soon due to them getting a few more units cascaded. After that, once they're used just for strengthening 156 consists, I think that will reduce the 'terror' significantly.

trebor79

Established Member
TBH all of the 15x, are getting very long in the tooth. Sat on 153 and 156 today and they just seem ridiculously old fashioned - and I can remember the excitement as a child when they first started, so modern!
The noise levels are appalling. The 75mph top speed is too low for today's railway, as most routes involve at least some running on lines with a higher line speed so capacity is being wasted. There isn't enough legroom. I usually find myself inhaling exhaust fumes, which is totally unacceptable.
They're just dreadful. They were cheap and nasty when introduced, but were arguably appropriate for a system in managed decline.
I think they are completely unsuitable for today's railway. Really the whole lot ought to be scrapped and replaced with modern stock from CAF, Stadler or Bombardier. The industry would do well to work collaboratively and specify 2 or 3 designs to replace them. 1 local commuter type, 1 longer journey regional type. All bimodes for future electrification and to make use of current electrification where it exists.
158s are just about OK, although the EMR examples are a bit scruffy (the winged headrests are particularly uninviting covered in grey crud). They might as well be replaced too as they can't carry on forever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.