• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Thames Tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The first tunnel to be built under the River Thames was from Wapping to Rotherhithe; it was built by Marc Brunel and his son Isambard. Construction started in 1825 and it took 18 years, finally opening in 1843 - but only for pedestrians.

Rails were laid in 1845 and it became a railway tunnel - which it still is today. Here is the first part of a video that I shot at Wapping on a recent visit:

Hope it's of interest,

TTFN,

Ron.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Evening All,

Another episode of my Thames Tunnel video is on YouTube if anyone would like to have a look; it's Rotherhithe part 1:

Hope it's of interest.

TTFN,

Ron.

Trackman

Established Member
Thank you for sharing!
A lot of people would not know the history behind the tunnel and travel everyday without knowing the importance of said tunnel.

Thank you for sharing!
A lot of people would not know the history behind the tunnel and travel everyday without knowing the importance of said tunnel.

I would venture to suggest that the vast majority of the travellers that pass through the tunnel on a daily basis have absolutely no idea of it's historical importance.

Mikw

I would venture to suggest that the vast majority of the travellers that pass through the tunnel on a daily basis have absolutely no idea of it's historical importance.
I expect many don't even know their under the Thames at all. .

I expect many don't even know their under the Thames at all. .

Most people would know that they'd passed from South London to North London (or vice versa), but there are no passport checks so they probably don't give it second thought anymore than they would on the Bakerloo or Northern Lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.