• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The trainline.com rip off

Status
Not open for further replies.

calc7

Established Member
That is a big misconception that I try to explain to people on the train regularly. It is the same misconception that many people believe you cannot buy one through ticket if your journey involves more than one TOC.

Probably not helped by the fact that many TOCs offer discount for booking their APs from their own website (EC ~10% off, SN have various deals, LM have their sale every few months, EMT have £1 off [which can mean more than 10% on their cheapest tickets!], VT have frequent varying offers ... not to mention "flat fare" offers that have been on VT and aplenty on EC in recent months)!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
This! I have argued at length with someone who categorically stated that it's cheaper to buy in advance, even for flexible :

I am not surprised when people are brainwashed into believing that. Never mind the trainline ... take this from the official voice (NRES Best Value Fares site):

If you're going on a longer distance journey, Advance tickets offer substantial savings compared with getting it on the day. In most cases, tickets go on sale 12 weeks in advance, so book as early as possible to snap up a bargain

Sheffield to Skegness - most likely a 'once a year journey' for infrequent travellers - no Advance tickets;

on the other hand:

Sheffield to Derby (not a 'longer distance journey' by any sensible definition and 4 trains an hour for most of the day) - plenty of Advance tickets.

SS4

Established Member
A fool and his money are soon parted.

I tell people not to use the trainline because they're more expensive than buying an equivalent ticket but I don't lose any sleep over it if they continue. People need to take responsibility and research/plan their journey, if not they almost deserve to get stung.

SS4

Established Member
In the past I have seen TTL on cashback sites, 2% cashback I think

At 2% cashback the £4.50 of extra fees the OP mentioned will generate 9p of cashback. Cashback (and loyalty cards) are just a con to fool the gullible into doing more spending than is necessary. With thetrainline the necessary spending on their site is £0.00

Clip

Established Member
At 2% cashback the £4.50 of extra fees the OP mentioned will generate 9p of cashback. Cashback (and loyalty cards) are just a con to fool the gullible into doing more spending than is necessary.

Apart from my house insurance which got me £95 cashback going through topcashback from the exact same people who had quoted me the exact same price on policy from their own website.

Im reet gullible me. :roll:

SS4

Established Member
Apart from my house insurance which got me £95 cashback going through topcashback from the exact same people who had quoted me the exact same price on policy from their own website.

me said:
more spending than is necessary.

Since when did "exact same price" mean the same as "more"

If you'd found a provider offering you the same cover for £110 less would you have still taken the same action? Or if a cider was £2 in asda but £3 in Sainsburys would it be more value for money to pick Sainsbury's because you get nectar points?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

I'm constantly aware that there is always a risk that the cashback might not track, however sometimes the additional savings offered by simply going through a cashback link is too tempting to turn down. I managed £143 on Virgin Media and £143 on Npower last year.

It is also a useful bargaining tool. Two years ago I got Sky to give me a £90 credit on my bills as they were offering new customers £90 cashback. I threatened to leave if they did not match that offer and they duly did, in addition to 12 months free line rental. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.