• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Transport Game (UK)

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Welcome back to "The Transport Game."

Gameplay

The Aim of the game is to travel around the country using public transport in a pseudo-realistic fashion. To play, you must depart from the station or stop where the previous post arrived using a permitted timetabled public transport service. Having arrived at the destination, the minimum connection time for the station or stop must be allowed for. Where this is not published, a minimum interchange time is considered to be five minutes. In your post you should clearly state the time your service departs, the company who's service you are using and the time and day of arrival at your chosen destination.

Example post:

At 1015 we catch the GoAhead KonectBus 50 bus to Norwich (St Stephens Street), arriving at 1032 on Wednesday morning

Additional Notes

• If arriving by bus or coach then you should name the area in addition to the stop name.
  • If a move is discovered to be incorrect then the original post should be struck through and the correction made as a new post.
  • Should the previous move leave you at a the end of a route for which there are no services timetabled to depart from then you may walk to the nearest stop where services are available.
  • So the game remains realistic, you should use the current timetable for the relevant day not including timetable variations for engineering works.

Rules
  • You may not re-board the service just used in the previous post
  • You should use the first available service to reach your destination after allowing for the minimum interchange time.
    • An exception to this applies where the following service is formed of the same exact vehicle as the preceding service (applicable all day).
  • You shouldn't wait for more than two hours after the first available service (to any destination) has left, after allowing for the minimum interchange time.
    • Night services in the UK can be quite limited, so when the previous move arrives at its destination after 2300 you are allowed to wait until 0500 the next day if you wish.
  • You may walk up to about half a mile when changing modes to a stop in the vicinity, if you wish.
  • The use of cars, taxis, planes or helicopters is not allowed.
  • The playing area includes only mainland Great Britain. This includes any landmass connected to Great Britain by bridge or tunnel (excluding the Channel Tunnel). Domestic ferry services to outlying islands, such as the Isle of Wight and the Scottish Islands are also acceptable (with due regards to the note in the etiquette post below).
Please also refer to the below posting, made by 'transportphoto', which refers to Game Play Etiquette, which form part of the Game Rules.

To start off, we shall depart from Droitwich Spa on Monday at 07:46 London Midland to Worcester Foregate Street, arriving at 07:56.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Unlike in previous versions of this game, we do not have any one appointed person(s) who have a role to police the rules of the game, instead we leave this down to community judgement.

When posting moves, please do endeavour that they are realistic, whilst complying with the set rules at the same time. For example, it wouldn't be reasonable nor realistic, for someone to post a move which involves waiting at Clapham Junction for an hour and a half; trains pass through here much more frequently... whilst waiting two hours at a station such as Stowmarket would be more realistic as the station doesn't see frequent services.

Likewise, we have chosen to allow walking between modes of transport in the same vicinity, in this case up to half a mile is permitted. Walking does not count as a move. Please do not abuse this, we have drawn a line at half a mile, which is quite a distance.

There are a few dates each year (1st Jan and 25/26th Dec) where typically public transport options are not present. Players should use the timetables for a normal service day upon which these special dates occur.

Following a request for clarification on the rules on visiting outlying islands, through the use of domestic ferry services, such as the Isle of Wight and the Isle of Mull... please note that this practice is acceptable, however it is not intended that the game gets tied up on these islands for great periods of time... (Added 01/01/2016.)

It comes down to the community to point out any rule breaches, however this shouldn't hold up game play and it may not be necessary to return to the previous post, especially where there has been more than five moves (or 24 hours has elapsed) since the posting in question.

Enjoy playing.

TP

Last edited by a moderator:

sonic2009

Established Member
Upon reaching Worcester Foregate Street, we head to Tesco Express for supplies & then head to the Capital on the 0826 First Great Western to London Paddington arriving at 1100, Monday morning.

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
We board 1B27, the 1115 First Great Western service to Cardiff Central, arriving there at 1322 on the Monday afternoon...

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
As we pull into the station, we see a bus, numbered 412, sitting outside, however as we have to allow five or so minutes between moves, we let it go and begin a ten minute wander to Haverfordwest Bus Station (approximately 0.4 mile)...

As we arrive at approximately 1615, we see the same bus, the 412, sitting at Stand Four...

We then board the 1623 Richards Bros service 412 to Eglwyswrw, arriving there at 1725 this Monday evening.

Admittedly, I have no idea where this is, it's a place on a timetable... we'll assume, for the purposes of this game, that the bus has dropped us off at St Christiolus' Church in Eglwyswrw.

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
We take a look in the church before getting back on the 412 bus to Cardigan and then going to look for dolphins.
We leave Eglwyswrw at 18:57 and get to Cardigan at 19:07.

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
What time does this depart and arrive in Cardigan please?

TP

dzug2

We then pop to the Kings Arms pub in Church Stretton for a drink before going to the highlands bed and breakfast for the night.

In the morning we go to Church Stretton station and catch the 10:39 service to Manchester Piccadilly and getting to Manchester at 12:15.

Is it really acceptable to stop for the day so early? There are around a dozen trains leaving Church Stretton before end of service and nearly that next morning before your departure. And maybe buses - I've not checked.

and

We leave Cardigan at 10:05 and Get to Aberystwyth at 11:55.
We then have a bit of time in Aberystwyth before catching the 13:30 train from Aberystwyth and getting to Shrewsbury at 15:26 on Tuesday Afternoon.

is two moves surely? Is that OK?

I don't really mind what the answers is/are but it does need clarification

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Is two moves surely? Is that OK?

I don't really mind what the answers is/are but it does need clarification

I had already sent a PM to one of the forum quizmasters about this very matter of two consecutive moves made by the same contestant.

I have also noted that the matter of ending the posting with the "quiz day" has become to be forgotten in recent postings.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Unlike in previous versions of this game, we do not have any one appointed person(s) who have a rule to police the rules of the game, instead we leave this down to community judgement.

It comes down to the community to point out any rule breaches, however this shouldn't hold up game play and it may not be necessary to return to the previous post, especially where there has been more than five moves (or 24 hours has elapsed) since the posting in question.

Well, Day One of the relaunched quiz certainly saw these aspirations put under challenge, having reviewed the postings that were made.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Having reviewed the situation, and bearing in mind fishquinn's age (as on user profile) I have made the decision to void some moves... this takes us back to Cardigan at 19:07 on a Monday evening, two consecutive moves made by one user are not permitted, and although a child of Fishquinn's age may stop travelling at that sort of time, if there are still travelling possibilities to be taken, please explore these before stopping for the night. Ideally starting up again early in the morning too.

Obviously, I understand that the aim was that moves weren't voided, in this instance, I believe this is the best course of action. Hopefully, as the game picks up and goes into full flow, we'll be able to better deal with instances such as these.

If you wish me to, I can delete the posts I have voided, however for the mean time they remain crossed through. I have left fishquinn a visitor message on his profile :smile:

If anyone can see a way out of Cardigan at 1907 on a Monday evening, I will appreciate it! ;)

TP

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Thanks TransportPhoto.
I will bear that in mind and I will make it stay later.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Welcome back to "The Transport Game."
To play, you must depart from the station or stop where the previous post arrived using a permitted timetabled public transport service. Having arrived at the destination, the minimum connection time for the station or stop must be allowed for. Where this is not published, a minimum interchange time is considered to be five minutes. In your post you should clearly state the time your service departs, the company who's service you are using and the time and day of arrival at your chosen destination.
Additional Notes
[*]If arriving by bus or coach then you name should the area in addition to the stop name.

Would I be right in assuming that this last recognised post should show an arrival at 1907 at Cardigan (Finch Square) on a Monday evening.

Finch Square was not stated in the last post, but it is most certainly shown upon the timetable that I made reference to when reviewing this matter

Last edited:

dzug2

I can't find any way out of Cardigan on a Monday evening, so we catch the first 412 Richard Bros bus at 0700 next morning from Finch's Square B, and travel to Goodwick Station o/s Station Hill, arriving at 0747 Tuesday morning.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
We then catch the 08:07 train from Fishguard and Goodwick to Manchester Piccadilly getting to Manchester at 14:15 on Tuesday afternoon.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
1443 East Midlands Trains service to Norwich, arriving 1915 this Tuesday evening... change here for Greater Anglia services to Sheringham, Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
We then take the 19:40 train from Norwich to Cambridge arriving at Cambridge at 20:59 Tuesday evening.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
This is my first post on this relaunched quiz. If I make a mistake that is a genuine error, then that is fair enough, but If I have ONE SINGLE post queried, in a repeat fashion to the last fiasco that was the previous Transport Guiz, where I'm faulted over a purely trivial situation, then I am out! Apologies for the bluntness, but for those who participated in the last game, it was fair to admit that it was beyond frustrating to say the least.

We then board the 2207 Arriva London service 41 to Crouch End Broadway, arriving there at 2229 on Tuesday evening.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
This is my first post on this relaunched quiz. If I make a mistake that is a genuine error, then that is fair enough, but If I have ONE SINGLE post queried, in a repeat fashion to the last fiasco that was the previous Transport Quiz, where I'm faulted over a purely trivial situation, then I am out! Apologies for the bluntness, but for those who participated in the last game, it was fair to admit that it was beyond frustrating to say the least.

I am totally and utterly amazed to find you making such a comment with regard to this new and relaunched quiz, for the first two postings on this particular quiz by two of our respected forum quizmasters, the first by Class172 with the new quiz rules and the second by transportphoto headed "Game Play Etiquette" could not have made the view of the forum quizmasters any clearer than they have done in these two postings.

If you choose to leave the quiz over what in your mind is "a purely trivial situation", then this is your right....no-one is suggesting otherwise, but you may well find that others may well take a different view to your view of "a purely trivial situation".

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I am totally and utterly amazed to find you making such a comment with regard to this new and relaunched quiz, for the first two postings on this particular quiz by two of our respected forum quizmasters, the first by Class172 with the new quiz rules and the second by transportphoto headed "Game Play Etiquette" could not have made the view of the forum quizmasters any clearer than they have done in these two postings.

If you choose to leave the quiz over what in your mind is "a purely trivial situation", then this is your right....no-one is suggesting otherwise, but you may well find that others may well take a different view to your view of "a purely trivial situation".

They have indeed done an excellent job of the new rules.

As I say, if things run as smoothly as they have been, they I have no objection.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
We then board the 2207 Arriva London service 41 to Crouch End Broadway, arriving there at 2229 on Tuesday evening.

We board TfL route W7 at 2244, journeying to Finsbury Park station at 2300 this Tuesday evening… given we're in London, it shouldn't be necessary to 'stop for the night'

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
We then go to Finsbury Park tube station and take the Victoria line to London Euston and then catch the 23:50 Scot Rail Sleeper to Edinburgh arriving at 07:22.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
We then go to Finsbury Park tube station and take the Victoria line to London Euston and then catch the 23:50 Scot Rail Sleeper to Edinburgh arriving at 07:22.

....on Wednesday morning.

Please remember to show the day at the end of your posting.

Incidentally, there are two journeys shown in your posting:-

1)...Finsbury Park underground station to London Euston underground station

2)...London Euston to Edinburgh.

We only allow ONE journey to be made in a single posting.

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
And technically, if we were to be fussy, you could only take us to Euston as that is one 'move'... it is then down to another user to decide where we go from there... I quite like the idea of the sleeper, so I'll let it slip this time ;)

We board 1R13, ScotRail's 0745 service to Glasgow Queen Street... arriving there at 0840 Wednesday Morning.

Last edited:

dzug2

We have half an hour to wait before the next Stagecoach Strathtay service 20 at 1244 conveys us to Padanaram, at St Ninians Road on Redford Road, where we arrive at 1315 on Wednesday afternoon