• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Transport Game (UK)

-Colly405-

Let's walk the 8 minutes / 0.4 miles to Reading West station and there board 2J37, GWR's 1341 service. We alight at Bramley (Hampshire) at 1356 on Sunday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
With nothing of any interest happening here, we board the 1451 Great Western Railway service 2J41 to Basingstoke, arriving there at 1504 on Sunday afternoon.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
We exit the station and take the eight minute walk to Jewry Street, where we board the 1612 Bluestar service 1 to Chandlers Ford (Asda)*, arriving there at 1642 on Sunday afternoon.

* Bus Times' location of this, as per usual, is questionable! A check on Google Maps shows that it's more like Eastleigh to me.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I'm not sure what they use to identify bus stops, it's puzzled me for a while, it doesn't seem to always correspond with the stop name on Google Maps. One of my services in Leicestershire puzzled me as their stop name was out of date, I even tried changing the name of the stop in our systems to see if it made any difference!

Moving swiftly on, we take the 1700 Bluestar service 1 to Fryern Hill, Co-op arriving at 1708 on Sunday.

-Colly405-

Doesn't it feed from Naptan?

Our only option remains the Bluestar service 1, so we make the 1 minute walk to the Church bus stop, where we board the 1734 journey. We alight at Southampton (Civic Centre, stop AI) at 1801 on Sunday.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
We walk around the corner to Asda & Marlands, where we board the 1813 Unilink service U1A to Swaythling (Montefiore House), arriving there at 1849 on Sunday evening.

liamf656

We then take the short walk to St Denys Railway Station and hop onto the 20:44 South Western Railway Service to Fratton, arriving there at 21:32 on Sunday evening

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Surprised that there are no buses serving such an urban area even for a Sunday night, we instead board the 2209 Southern service 2S89 to Shoreham-by-Sea via Littlehampton, arriving there at 2326 on Sunday evening.

liamf656

That’s it for the evening now, so we continue on Monday morning with the 05:32 Southern service to Brighton, arriving there at 05:54

A Challenge

Established Member
We walk to Stop D on the High Street and get the 08:03 Arriva in Beds and Bucks service 321 Sapphire to Rickmansworth Railway Station (Stop A), arriving at 10:06 Monday morning.

Last edited:

liamf656

We then enter the station and catch the 10:19 Chiltern service to Aylesbury, arriving at 10:54 on Monday morning

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Heading to across platforms, we then board the 0601 Thameslink Class 700 service to Harpenden (Herts) arriving at 0747 on Monday morning.
Unfortunately, the minimum connection time at Brighton is ten minutes unless it's Southern to Southern which is 4 minutes (quite why I do not know; to go from Hove to Eastbourne which involves transferring from platform 1 to platform 7 or 8 at Brighton is valid but not onto the Thameslink platforms which are closer!!).

So subsequently your move, and the following ones, will need to be crossed out I'm afraid :(

A Challenge

Established Member
We then get the 0744 Great Northern service 2V17 to Hatfield, arriving at 0814½ Monday morning.

liamf656

Next we get the 0818 Thameslink service to Cambridge
Don’t forget the arrival time and day! For completeness, this arrives at Cambridge at 09:22 on Monday morning

We then move onto the 09:35 Great Northern service to Ely, and we arrive there at 09:56 on Monday morning

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Next we get the 0818 Thameslink service to Cambridge
This also falls foul of the minimum connection time at Hatfield.

In general, most average-sized stations have a five minute connection time (there are some that are only four but I can't remember off the top of my head).

Please use BR Times if you're unsure.

I'll continue on with the last two moves by pushing them forward by half an hour, so with that service from Finsbury Park arriving at Hatfield at 0815 in fact, we can then get the 0848 to Cambridge arriving at 09:52.

From there, we can exit the station to the bus stops outside on Station Place and board the 1000 Stagecoach East Citi service 7 to Addenbrookes Hospital, arriving there at 1007 on Monday morning.

Intro298

This also falls foul of the minimum connection time at Hatfield.

In general, most average-sized stations have a five minute connection time (there are some that are only four but I can't remember off the top of my head).

Please use BR Times if you're unsure.

I'll continue on with the last two moves by pushing them forward by half an hour, so with that service from Finsbury Park arriving at Hatfield at 0815 in fact, we can then get the 0848 to Cambridge arriving at 09:52.

From there, we can exit the station to the bus stops outside on Station Place and board the 1000 Stagecoach East Citi service 7 to Addenbrookes Hospital, arriving there at 1007 on Monday morning.
It leaves from the same platform as the GN service.

-Colly405-

It leaves from the same platform as the GN service.
Hi - despite that we need to stick to the rules, which are that we allow 5 minutes for connecting trains unless the station has a different advertised minimum connection time. It took me ages to remember that when I first played this game, and even now I occasionally fall foul by not allowing longer at a major station 8-). I regularly need to check the rules, which are on page 1 of the game...

Intro298

Hi - despite that we need to stick to the rules, which are that we allow 5 minutes for connecting trains unless the station has a different advertised minimum connection time. It took me ages to remember that when I first played this game, and even now I occasionally fall foul by not allowing longer at a major station 8-). I regularly need to check the rules, which are on page 1 of the game...
Ok then, thanks for the info, it is my first time playing.

liamf656

We enter the station and catch the 13:43 Greater Anglia service to Stansted Airport, arriving there at 13:56 on Monday afternoon