• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Transport Game (UK)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
An opportunity now affords itself to use and take a long ride on the local Metro service, so entering into the station, we board the 0614 Nexus Metro service to South Shields metro station that arrives there at 0726 on Tuesday morning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
We then board the 0737 Stagecoach North East service E6 to Sunderland (Interchange), arriving there at 0826 on Tuesday morning.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
After a bit of time in Sunderland we board the 09:30 Northern Rail service to Newcastle. We get at Newcastle at 09:51 on Tuesday morning ready to go north.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
After touring bristol we catch the 19:30 FGW service to London Paddington getting there at 21:14 on Tuesday evening.

Last edited by a moderator:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
We then board 1B94, the 2245 First Great Western service to Cardiff Central, arriving there at 0118 in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Manchester77

Established Member
We then take 1W42, the 0435 Arriva Trains Wales service to Manchester Piccadilly alighting at 0805 on Wednesday morning

dzug2

After touring bristol we catch the 19:30 FGW service to London Paddington getting there at 21:14 on Tuesday evening.

Hang on - there are half a dozen trains to Paddington before the 1930 - that really doesn't pass muster

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hang on - there are half a dozen trains to Paddington before the 1930 - that really doesn't pass muster

I said that we tour Bristol for a while going on the ferry trip and things.
Anyway we have carried on playing.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We then take 1W42, the 0435 Arriva Trains Wales service to Manchester Piccadilly alighting at 0805 on Wednesday morning

After a bit of time in Manchester we catch the 10:16 FTPE service to Edinburgh getting there at 13:27 on Wednesday afternoon.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I said that we tour Bristol for a while going on the ferry trip and things.

Anyway we have carried on playing.

Actually in this instance, dzug2 is correct.

I should have drawn your attention to the following point in the rules:

Rules said:
You may not wait more for more than two hours after the first available service (to any destination) after allowing for the minimum interchange time.

Your following move was more than two hours.

fishquinn said:
After a bit of time in Manchester we catch the 10:16 FTPE service to Edinburgh getting there at 13:27 on Wednesday afternoon.

Unfortunately, as a result, this, and all the other moves after mine from Newcastle are all invalid.

We remain at Bristol Temple Meads at 1541 on Tuesday afternoon having just alighted off the 1044 CrossCountry service from Newcastle.

If you wanted to go to London as intended before, the latest service you could get would be the 1730 from Bristol, which gets into Paddington for 1914.

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
This posting is not directed at any one individual, however I must pop my head in to say:
  • Firstly I am really pleased at how the game has picked itself off of the ground, so a great 'Thanks' to everyone for this.
  • All must ensure that all moves are ended with the 'quiz-day', for example we are currently using services as if it were a Tuesday.
  • Although this is a virtual reality journey, we are simply travelling from place to place, the imaginary person(s) who are undertaking the journey is not a tourist and as such do not go for a walk around a city before moving on. You may not wait more than two hours after the first available service before moving on.
We remain at Bristol Temple Meads at 1541 on Tuesday afternoon having just alighted off the 1044 CrossCountry service from Newcastle.
From here we board 0B00, the 1557 timetabled bus service, operating on behalf of FGW, to Bristol International Airport arriving there at 1623 this Tuesday Afternoon.

TP

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Firstly I am really pleased at how the game has picked itself off of the ground, so a great 'Thanks' to everyone for this.

Thank you so much; it is a vast improvement following the previous fiasco!

transportphoto said:
You may not wait more than two hours after the first available service before moving on.

Thank you for confirming.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Thank you for confirming.
That no problem, it is hoped that a common sense application of the rules is undertaken at all times, such as was explored in the postings surrounding post number 61... as long as its reasonable and not extracting the mustard, the game can flow... as I pointed out in post number two:
When posting moves, please do endeavour that they are realistic, whilst complying with the set rules at the same time. For example, it wouldn't be reasonable nor realistic, for someone to post a move which involves waiting at Clapham Junction for an hour and a half; trains pass through here much more frequently... whilst waiting two hours at a station such as Stowmarket would be more realistic as the station doesn't see frequent services.
TP ;)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
From the airport we take the 18:10 EasyJet plane to Glasgow at 19:25 on Tuesday evening.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
No we don't... Fishquinn, may I refer you to the rules of the game which state that the use of planes, cars, taxis or helicopters is not permitted.

Obviously I understand you're fairly young and new to the forum, I joined the forums at a similar age to you, however you've got to fully understand how things work before making a move. ;)

TP

dzug2

We catch the Bath Bus Company A4 Airdecker service at 1700 to Bath Dorchester Street, arriving at 1750 on Tuesday evening

ValleyLines142

Established Member
From Bath bus station, we then board the 1812 First Bristol & Bath service X39 to Bristol (Baldwin Street), arriving there at 1856 on Tuesday evening.

Will be in my element here.....as this is my second home town!

dzug2

We make our way to the bus station, and catch First in Bristol's 46 service at 2005 to Coalpit Heath, St Saviours Church, arriving at 2037 Tuesday evening

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There doesn't seem to be much choice at this time of night, so we catch First in Bristol's 47 onwards to Yate station, leaving at 2100 and arriving at 2107 on the same Tuesday evening.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Unfortunately, as a result, this, and all the other moves after mine from Newcastle are all invalid.
This was not your call to make.

The attitude we are employing on this thread is:
It comes down to the community to point out any rule breaches, however this shouldn't hold up game play and it may not be necessary to return to the previous post, especially where there has been more than five moves (or 24 hours has elapsed) since the posting in question.

While the move you decided was invalid broke the rules, it was not catastrophic to gameplay, so there was no need to go back.

Please do not do so again - the idea is to keep going.

dzug2

The 2232 FGW train takes us to Gloucester, arriving at 2303 Tuesday evening

There are at least 4 alternatives to waiting until next morning

Last edited:

Temple Meads

Established Member
We then take ATW's 2G74 the 22:15 Maesteg to Cheltenham Spa service which departs at 00:01, we take this train all the way to Cheltenham Spa, where we arrive at 00:51 on Wednesday morning.

dzug2

????The 0001 from Caldicot arrives at Cheltenham Spa at 0051. Don't see the problem

It's too far to walk to the town centre for an early hours National Express departure, so we take the first Stagecoach in Cheltenham D service in the morning at 0555 and get off at Chapel Walk (Cheltenham) at 0603 Wednesday morning

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
So that gameplay isn't disrupted:

We next board the 0649 Stagecoach in Cheltenham service D to Cheltenham (Rail Station), arriving there at 0700 on Wednesday morning.

We join the 0721 CrossCountry service to Ely, arriving there at 1051 this Wednesday morning.

Last edited:

dzug2

0629 I think Paul - but it makes no difference. The stop is served in one direction only, so we get the next D service at 0649 and travel to Cheltenham Racecourse P&R arriving at 0722 Wednesday morning

Where did the quoted text in post #116 come from?

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
0629 I think Paul - but it makes no difference. The stop is served in one direction only, so we get the next D service at 0649 and travel to Cheltenham Racecourse P&R arriving at 0722 Wednesday morning

I believe you may have missed TP's move to Ely....

We then join 1R82, the 1148 East Midlands Trains service to Stockport, arriving there at 1524 on Wednesday afternoon.

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Apologies for any confusion here, a posting has had to be temporarily hidden from view… I have quoted the gameplay part of the post and reposted in #116 in attempt to prevent disruption to gameplay.

We are now at Stockport, 1524 on a Wednesday afternoon.

dzug2

I believe you may have missed TP's move to Ely....

Yes - well overtaken while preparing posting. I missed your move to Cheltenham station which is what was puzzling me

We take 1he 1539 ATW service to Hereford arriving 1749 Wednesday evening

Last edited: