• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Transport Game (UK)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
After exploring Brading and the Isle of Wight we decide to get back to national rail so in order to start off getting away we catch the 09:28 Island Line train to Ryde Pier Head getting there at 09:42 on Monday Morning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Deciding that we haven't been here long enough, we go against the idea of heading back to Pompey and walk down the pier to Ryde Bus Station, next to Esplanade station, but well within half a mile!

We board the 0955 GoAhead Southern Vectis service 9 to Newport Bus Station, arriving there at 1025.

If you're desperate to get back to the mainland, I believe there's soon a service 1 to Cowes for Red Jet to Southampton... lets be exciting and not go back via Pompey, although you don't have to... ;)

TP

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
We then board the 10:50 bus from Newport bus station to East Cowes getting there at 11:26 on Monday Morning.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm just researching the Cowes Floating Bridge... this could be interesting ;)
Someone get me back to Cowes!! :P

On a more serious game play note:

2D27: 1209 South West Trains/Island Line service to Smallbrook Junction arriving there at 1215 this Monday afternoon.

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Someone get me back to Cowes!! :P

It does look fun! It looks very similar to the Sandbanks Ferry in Dorset.

transportphoto said:
2D27: 1209 South West Trains/Island Line service to Smallbrook Junction arriving there at 1215 this Monday afternoon.

Smallbrook Junction is a rare example of a station that has no public access in or out, so we have no option but to wait for the next train, which is the 1233 Island Line Trains service to Ryde Pier Head, arriving there at 1242 on Monday afternoon.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Walking back down the pier, we head back to the bus station, comfortably in time for the following (giving 5 minutes to walk down the pier, and five minutes 'connection' as such):

1254 GoAhead Southern Vectis 4 service to East Cowes... arriving there at 1319 this Monday.

My thoughts at SMB were to head on to the steam railway!

TP

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
transportphoto said:
My thoughts at SMB were to head on to the steam railway!

I didn't know there was one!

1254 GoAhead Southern Vectis 4 service to East Cowes... arriving there at 1319 this Monday.

We then board the 1330 Southern Vectis service 5 to Newport (Bus Station), arriving there at 1355 on Monday afternoon.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Deciding to see the natural attractions of The Needles and the cliffs with multi-coloured sands, we board the 1415 Southern Vectis service 7 to Alum Bay (Turning Circle) that arrives there at 1507 on Monday afternoon.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Don't forget, this is still free of charge for foot passengers. We used it three times on our last holiday to the IOW last year. It is a chain ferry

Last edited:

Bodie

Firstly, Mr Sidorczuk you forgot to add Monday afternoon :D

Secondly, I'm always confused when we get to end of the line, be it bus or train.
Only the route number 7 is at Alum Bay so that's the bus we got to get. There is a departure at 1514 but we just got off that seven minutes earlier.
Rules say you should not get back onto the service you just got off, but this is now a new service back to Newport even if it is the same bus.

By the same token though, the rules also state you should get the first possible service.

Hmmm...

I'll play my move but those who are not as easy confused as I can choose which service was the correct to get.

I'll say we catch the next number 7 bus that leaves Alum Bay at 1544 which of course is run by Southern Vectis and we take it as far as Yarmouth, Bus Station arriving at 1604 on Monday afternoon

I'll leave it up to the next player to decide if we continue our IOW travels or not.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Firstly, Mr Sidorczuk you forgot to add Monday afternoon :D

In my defence, I was still recovering from the novel 24 hour understanding of DanTrainMan185 who claimed to have arrived at 1355 on Monday MORNING and still had not recovered when I made my posting...:D:D:D

That matter has now been corrected...:oops:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'll play my move but those who are not as easy confused as I can choose which service was the correct to get.

I'll say we catch the next number 7 bus that leaves Alum Bay at 1544 which of course is run by Southern Vectis and we take it as far as Yarmouth, Bus Station arriving at 1604 on Monday afternoon

I'll leave it up to the next player to decide if we continue our IOW travels or not.

Unwilling to take the opportunity afforded to take the Yarmouth ferry to the mainland from here, whilst there is still much to see on this part of the west of the island, we next board the 1638 Southern Vectis service 7 to Shallfleet (New Inn) that arrives there at 1648 on Monday afternoon.

P.S. Don't forget that Queen Victoria spent much of her time on the island at Osborne House, so there is still that area to visit, not forgetting the earlier mentioned chain ferry across the water from East Cowes to Cowes.

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
In my defence, I was still recovering from the novel 24 hour understanding of DanTrainMan185 who claimed to have arrived at 1355 on Monday MORNING and still had not recovered when I made my posting...:D:D:D

Don't you blame me for that, Mr Sidorczuk! :lol:

Paul Sidorczuk said:
Unwilling to take the opportunity afforded to take the Yarmouth ferry to the mainland from here, whilst there is still much to see on this part of the west of the island, we next board the 1638 Southern Vectis service 7 to Shallfleet (New Inn) that arrives there at 1648 on Monday afternoon.

Agreeing very much so with Paul's point about visiting the west of the island, we then take the opportunity to board the 1712 Southern Vectis service 7 to Totland (War Memorial), arriving there at 1742 on Monday evening.

Can I also just say that the game has been running really smoothly since being on the island. Although I'm not a Quizmaster and, realistically, it's not my place to comment, I'd still like say well done folks and keep it up! :)

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Though late in the day, it is always good to visit settlements with a castle that has history attached to it, so we next board the 1806 Southern Vectis service 7 to Carisbrooke (High Street) that arrives there at 1840 on Monday evening.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
How unusual, I had a feeling you may have taken us to Carisbrooke!

This is then a perfect opportunity for us to board the 1845 Southern Vectis service 12 to Brighstone (Three Bishops), arriving there at 1858 on Monday evening.

Right, I'm off to work, see you guys later! I look forward to seeing where we've got off to later on :)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Time now to head back to the centre of the island and to the transport hub that is Newport bus station where all adventurous island bus journeys begin their life, so we next board the 1916 Southern Vectis service 12 to Newport bus station which arrives there at 1938 on Monday evening.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
We then board the 2010 Southern Vectis service 3 to Sandown (Victoria Road), arriving there at 2112 on Monday evening.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
We now take an evening bus ride to travel over the eastern coastal reaches of the island where we still have not as yet visited to an iconic settlement that it famous for its crabs and lobsters and also a settlement of houseboats, so we next board the 2211 Southern Vectis service 8 to Bembridge (Crossway) that arrives there at 2228 on Monday evening.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Our next journey is on board the last bus of the day from Bembridge, which is the 2328 Southern Vectis service 8 to Ryde (Bus Station), arriving there at 0001 in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
With transport connections starting to get somewhat limited at this time of the day, we call it a night before boarding the 0745 Southern Vectis service 7 to Yarmouth (Bus Station) the next day, arriving there at 0815 on Tuesday morning.

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
We then board the 0944 Southern Vectis service 7 to Freshwater (Sainsbury's), arriving there at 0955 on Tuesday morning.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Heading to the inland area of the north-west corner of the island, we next board the 1024 Southern Vectis service 7 to Cranmore (Cranmore Avenue) that arrives there at 1044 on Tuesday morning.

Our thanks are indeed most sincerely extended to our travel agent, transportphoto travel, for the journey opportunities afforded on this Isle of Wight holiday

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
1105 GoAhead SV service 7 to Yarmouth (Bus Station, which hopefully looks a bit better than Market Gates ;)) arriving there at 1115 this Tuesday Morning.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
We then board the 11:40 Wightlink ferry to Lymington arriving at 12:20 on Tuesday afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The 1140 doesn't seem to exist, I'm searching for Tues 29th at the moment on the Wightlink website?

TP

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Reluctantly, we find ourselves back on the mainland without visiting the chain ferry at East Cowes or the area where Osborne House is situated, so we board the rail shuttle service which is the 1227 SWT service to Brockenhurst that arrives there at 1238 on Tuesday afternoon.

Last edited:

higthomas

Hoping to visit another island...
We board the 1300 Cross Country service to Manchester Piccadilly, getting off at Stafford at 1630 on a Tuesday afternoon.

Can't find strike through button, but imagine I had.

Last edited by a moderator: