• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The truth about NRE...

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

In Great Britain, you can no longer telephone your local station. You have to use National Rail Enquiries. Your call will automatically be redirected to one of the Indian call centres, where it will be answered by someone living on the opposite side of the world who has never heard of the country you are living in, and attempting to travel across. In an accent you can barely understand they will give you details of a five-hour journey with four changes which includes a three-hour wait at Clapham Junction. Fares quoted may vary from those quoted last time you called, even if it was only five minutes ago. In the rare event that you speak to the same person twice, National Rail Enquiries reserves the right to give you completely different information.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
"Can you tell me the Price of a Saver from Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston please?"
"From Piccadilly Circus to Euston?"
"No from Manchester Piccadilly"
"To Manchester Piccadilly?"
"No from!"
"Okay"
"The price is £189"
"That's a standard open return"
"Yes it is sir"
"I want to know what is the Saver Price"
"What is a Saver Price sir?"

At which point I put the phone down and went to an Internet cafe to check online.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Normally when I want assistance from a company I ask them where they are, and, if necessary to be put through to a call centre in the UK.
Called Nectar Card to change my address the other day, got through to someone in India. She then put me through to someone in Liverpool, who then put me through to someone with a non-regional accent.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Mojo said:
Normally when I want assistance from a company I ask them where they are, and, if necessary to be put through to a call centre in the UK.
Called Nectar Card to change my address the other day, got through to someone in India. She then put me through to someone in Liverpool, who then put me through to someone with a non-regional accent.
Apparently people from Glasgow have the best accentfor call centres...no offence to anybody from Glasgow, but when I've ever spoken to somebody with a Glaswegian accent on the phone I can't understand a bloody word they're saying!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
evil_hippo said:
Blooody southerners.

As a fellow reader of Private Eye, Zoltan...
"It's grim up North."

Craig

Established Member
Mojo said:
"It's grim up North."
Is it?

AlexS said:
Between certain hours of the day is National Rail Enquiries not actually based in Newcastle?
There was a NRE call centre in Newcastle a couple of years ago. I think it's still there, but dunno if it's still NRE though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mojo said:
She then put me through to someone in Liverpool, who then put me through to someone with a non-regional accent.
ROFL! Liverpool is like another country, last time I was there I showed a rover and was asked "Do you have a ticket, like?" I said "it's a rover", and he didn't really understand what a rover was but just went "oh" and moved on!

I had a Scouce French teacher in Years 7-8, (and an Irish French teacher in Year 9), needless to say I can't speak a word of French as a result ;) ;)

H

HR2

yorkie said:
I had a Scouce French teacher in Years 7-8, (and an Irish French teacher in Year 9), needless to say I can't speak a word of French as a result ;) ;)

C'est La Guerre. :evil4:

Status
Not open for further replies.