• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'The Tube' (TV program)

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureA

Also what's all the talk of these old trains being automatic and drive without drivers..?!

They are automatic as in the driver just needs to press 'start' and the train drives itself at the correct speed to the next station.

They do however still need a driver.

Ah are the tube trains the little ones and the sub surface ones the larger ones? Sorry I'm not that familiar with the Underground!

Something like that.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
It was pretty bad, I have to admit. The conference call sounded like a complete nightmare..."well, they should be looking at it today"

I wonder how Siemens would manage things. I bet a call in to Germany would at least get someone on the phone that would sound a little more clued up, and enthusiastic.

Sorry if I don't sound too patriotic, but if I was spoken to by someone like that when I'd spent God knows how much on a new fleet of rolling stock, I'd be livid. I bet there was quite a bit of that conversation edited out, including the post-call comments!

Chris125

Established Member
Sorry if I don't sound too patriotic, but if I was spoken to by someone like that when I'd spent God knows how much on a new fleet of rolling stock, I'd be livid. I bet there was quite a bit of that conversation edited out, including the post-call comments!

Indeed, it hardly challenged the often repeated view that post-build reliabilty and support isnt one of Bombardier's strong points.

Chris

mbonwick

Established Member
I wonder how Siemens would manage things. I bet a call in to Germany would at least get someone on the phone that would sound a little more clued up, and enthusiastic.

Indeed, I suspect Siemens would be full of apologies, with a clear plan on how to fix the problem. In fact, given how serious that conversation sounded, I wouldn't be surprised if they dispatched their own technicians to see the sets in service.

Agreed that Bombardier didn't come across in a good light, but we all know they're not the best builder out there!
(I'm begining to see parallels here with the coachbuilders of the 90s; Alexanders of Falkirk [now Alexander Dennis] had a reputation for cheap products delivered in far from ideal condition, whereas Northern Counties (Wigan) built a slightly more expensive product to a higher standard.

CCF23

Dare I say some young enthusiasts who seemed to be giving the hobby something of a better name. Naturally, what they do off camera may be different but it all seemed quite good on camera :) (and they hit the nail on the head too - it's just an interest not that different to football etc, just less socially accepted :()

I was the guy with glasses and blue top who spoke to the camera, thanks for the nice comments, not all young enthusiasts are of the arm waving, tone loving sort :)

ukrob

Established Member
Next episode -

Going behind the scenes of the world's oldest, largest and busiest underground train network as it undergoes the biggest overhaul in its history. Rush hour is the Tube's biggest test - but it can be too much for some passengers. Station Supervisor Bob Weedon at Bank has to deal with five injuries and faintings in a row during one rush hour crush. Chief operating officer Howard Collins must muck in when a power failure on the Jubilee Line threatens to disrupt the evening peak. And the Tube's most unusual employee, a hawk called Toyah, is put to work on pigeon patrol.

jon0844

Veteran Member
And the Tube's most unusual employee, a hawk called Toyah, is put to work on pigeon patrol.

More unusual than the driver on the Piccadilly line train?! (only joking, he's alright but maybe a bit mad - but aren't we all?)

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I spotted quite a few people I know on the last programme!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

lyesbkz

I wonder where David Waboso was travelling to on EMT in 1st class (seemed to make it a bit obvious..) and why they had to film him on the train at all :p

Wyvern

Established Member
Old Dalby (Company car from Leicester) or Derby?

He was shown driving on the test track

Last edited:

GodAtum

On Moderation
Some comments about this weeks episode:

I havent seem Kelly at Victoria before!

Maybe someone should set up a Happy Tube Day, a day were you dont push or shove or elbow barge people to get on the train.

I noticed that near the beginning of the last episode when they closed the Vics stairs they had 2 different shots of the same staircase at different times as the staff members were different.

What train did David, the Director, travel on?

They suspended the Northbound line from Victoria but they would not let anyone go to vauxhall or Brixton, how does that work? I remember the servere delays, a friend was fired from his job as he was late to work.

Did anyone go to the last 67 service? Is the Vic line driver driving on a different side on the new stock?

I loved the meetings with David the director so criny-worthy!

It was nice to see a lady enginner :)

i try to always have alternative routes planned but sometimes there are none avaiable.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Is the Vic line driver driving on a different side on the new stock?

I haven't seen the programme for a couple of weeks, but must catch up with last nights on iPlayer.

The main driving position on the 2009 Stock is on the right. It is practice for the drivers to sit on the side of the cab that the platforms are on - at the majority of Victoria Line stations this is on the right, so despite the 67TS having its driving desk on the left, the drivers spent most of their time on the offside of the cab.

I believe the reason for being on the platform side relates to the 67TS not having CSDE (Correct Side Door Enable), but I'm not sure whether this is provided on the 2009 Stock.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They suspended the Northbound line from Victoria but they would not let anyone go to vauxhall or Brixton, how does that work? I remember the servere delays, a friend was fired from his job as he was late to work.

Congestion meant trains were starting to stack on the Southbound lines as well as the Northbound ones, from what I understood :) (there are only 2 platforms at Brixton and not a lot of places where trains can go to clear the platform space there, aside from back the way they came!)

plymothian

They suspended the Northbound line from Victoria but they would not let anyone go to vauxhall or Brixton, how does that work?

I would guess that

1. as the n/bound trains weren't getting through, then subsequent s/bound trains were thinning out due to the lack of trains able to get through to Walthamstow to reverse and subsequently s/bound trains at Brixton are stacking back as they can't get n/bound

2. it's easier to let no one on the platforms, which are already overcrowded, than to filter people out, as all passengers need to go is say they're going the opposite way but go to the closed platform anyway

Class20

What train did David, the Director, travel on?

I think he was most likely traveling on an EMT 222.

They suspended the Northbound line from Victoria but they would not let anyone go to vauxhall or Brixton, how does that work? I remember the severe delays, a friend was fired from his job as he was late to work.

I think it may have been to do with to many passengers in the station. It may have been only the northbound line that was suspended but the build up of passengers from that would have flooded the station. So better to have it closed off for a short while until the back log of passengers is cleared.

Is the Vic line driver driving on a different side on the new stock?

Yes the Vic Line driver was on the right hand side of the train. All other trains on the underground and on the national network are left hand drive.

Have to say, I think the Pic Line driver was ace. Who wouldn't want the cab of an underground train in their living room :D

David.c

rmt-driver

More unusual than the driver on the Piccadilly line train?! (only joking, he's alright but maybe a bit mad - but aren't we all?)

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

That guy is an embarrassment to train drivers everywhere! I can't imagine the degree of p1$£ taking he has had to endure in the mess room... but I certainly hope it is very excessive! What a prat

district

That guy is an embarrassment to train drivers everywhere! I can't imagine the degree of p1$£ taking he has had to endure in the mess room... but I certainly hope it is very excessive! What a prat

Surely just because he feels passionate about his line that doesn't make him a prat? Having pride in your job is surley much better than not caring!

That's a bit uncalled for mate!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyway he might have been joking!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So was anyone on here one of the enthusiasts on the '67 stock?

GodAtum

On Moderation
At the into scenes there wa a guy shouting "stop the guy running up the stairs". has that been shown yet?

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I don't understand why not many seem to like the Picc driver, I thought he was funny myself, someone I'd be happy to meet and not get annoyed. Better than being boring that's for sure, hope he doesn't get much stick to drive him out the job.

What I couldn't understand is why the Viccy driver was driving in manual mode, is it different to the 67 stock where it had a limit? He did say he didn't like the driving on the 67 stock due to having to hold the handle down etc...well you only needed to do that in the depot area anyway :?

Spotted a couple of people I know, TrowbridgeJim was in there!

notadriver

Established Member
I don't think he was actually driving. I saw him press the twin ATO start buttons. I think he was just showing how the handle works for the camera. I'm assuming they need special permission to drive in manual just like DLR Captains do.

Oracle

Established Member
I took to the Picc driver, but then I first used the Picc around 1964 and commuted Setpember 1973 to December 1981 and had a few cab rides in between. I knew of a few drivers based at Armos Grove and was close friends with two guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.