• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'The Tube' (TV program)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It is in 'most popular' on Iplayer!

That's us watching it over and over! :D

Seriously, nice as it might be to make another series - the fact is that not a lot would change. Joe Public wouldn't care to see what's essentially the same, from similar engineering work to the introduction of what are essentially the same trains on the Circle, H&C etc.

I suppose there might be some scope to follow BTP around, in the same style as all the other police/emergency services shows. I reckon it wouldn't show the BTP in the best light though, as you'd just hear officers saying 'ah, sod that - that's a 5 minute walk away' and having another cup of tea. [JOKE!]

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minilad

Established Member
Just watched the one from last Monday. I loved the guy who mapped out the best door to be at to make sure you are right next to the exit at all stations and platforms.
An anorak of the highest order. Hats off to you Sir

CC 72100

Established Member
Just watched the one from last Monday. I loved the guy who mapped out the best door to be at to make sure you are right next to the exit at all stations and platforms.

Bet he's made some mnoney out of it though, one of the most popular apps on the app store at the moment!

Also mentions in his decription in how it featured on the show! :p

Last edited:

Crimson_Quiff

Indeed, I thought 'what a whopper!'. But if it works for people then go for it, I say :)

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
I've been using it for a few years now. It's never been wrong!

Seconded. I noticed the staff member interviewed was a little annoyed as such behaviour but the way people are on the tube being 2 seconds ahead of people at the exit to the escalator means being a minute or so ahead by the exit as you don't get stuck on the escalator or barriers or if making an interchange it can the difference between making your train and not doing so which adds up, especially for main line connections

Established Member
Last programme on tonight. Probably nothing on TV next Monday as good to watch I bet.

SS4

Established Member
Last programme on tonight. Probably nothing on TV next Monday as good to watch I bet.

Mon 2nd April
Modern Spies
1/2. The fictional world of spying is a world of danger, deception and glamour. But how does the myth compare with the reality? Peter Taylor investigates how spies are recruited.[AD,S]

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Whingeing because the last train back's at half twelve !

They should try living around here <D

coupwotcoup

No mention of 'Will Inspector Sands please report to the station control room immediately' yet....

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Oh. So that's it then. Its been a good series. Thanks to all those involved in the production :smile:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Seconded. I noticed the staff member interviewed was a little annoyed as such behaviour but the way people are on the tube being 2 seconds ahead of people at the exit to the escalator means being a minute or so ahead by the exit as you don't get stuck on the escalator or barriers or if making an interchange it can the difference between making your train and not doing so which adds up, especially for main line connections

I wonder how many people realise that the quickest way in and out of the Northern Line at Waterloo is to use the western ( Bakerloo side ) flight of escalators rather than the newer eastern flight that was put in a few years ago?

Only a 30 second difference, but one I have used myself to great advantage on many occasions...

Rather memorably, once, a bloke got off the same southbound Northern Line train as me by the same doors, the ones which line up exactly with the way out ( back of the 3rd carriage ); he rushed off in a tremendous hurry and turned left at the top of stairs. I thought I could see an opportunity there, so I dashed up the other way and when I reached the top and was through the barrier, reduced speed to a casual stroll towards the escalators to the main line concourse.

Sure enough, Mr Rush comes charging through a moment later, does a double take and stops to ask how on Earth I'd got there before him...!!:lol:

Clip

Established Member
No mention of 'Will Inspector Sands please report to the station control room immediately' yet....

You mean an explanation for it? Why would they want to do that when its been made that way not to alert the public that there may be an incident but generally a false alarm?

GNER 373

Fully enjoyed every episode, I wish they would make one on the National Rail Network in the same guise.

NY Yankee

I'm from the United States. I watched the first 4 episodes on Youtube. I really enjoyed it. In fact, the series piqued my interest in the Tube. In the first episode, it showed rowdy riders and people falling asleep and ending up at the terminal when the system shut down. The 2nd episode was about the Tube's efforts to stop fare evasion. They also mentioned the new S Stock at the end (I really love those cars). The 3rd episode was about the West Indian parade (they have a similar parade in New York City). The last episode that I saw was about the extreme overcrowding. They also mentioned that a station shut down so they could add a new transfer (forgot the name of the station).

Tube employees are a lot more friendly than employees in the New York City subway. Overall, the Tube is cleaner as well.

coupwotcoup

You mean an explanation for it? Why would they want to do that when its been made that way not to alert the public that there may be an incident but generally a false alarm?

I am aware of what it means...I was just being a touch whimsical :roll:

But all in all an excellent series. Not sure if anything else is planned,
but personally, I would love to see a programme or two on all the
disused stations on the Tube network.

Re the bricked up platform at Down Street, were German spies not
privvy to early/mid 30s Tube maps then?

coupwotcoup

But what are brick walls for, if not for looking behind?
And perhaps the rooms were painted to grey because it was the only colour available?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
But what are brick walls for, if not for looking behind?
And perhaps the rooms were painted to grey because it was the only colour available?

The question was why was everything in the room painted grey, from switches to lights.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
ergo my reply...the only colour available?

It's not normal to paint switches, electrical equipment or lights completely. That's what they were wondering. Im sure they would have guessed that grey was the only colour available if only the walls were painted, but everything was.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

SS4

Established Member
Whingeing because the last train back's at half twelve !

They should try living around here <D

That's what I was thinking <D. I think it'd be quite interesting if they did one on London Buses (or elsewhere in the country) although idk how logistically challenging it'd be.

What would really have annoyed me is if I, as a commuter on a packed tube train, saw a BBC camera :lol:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I am aware of what it means...I was just being a touch whimsical :roll:

But all in all an excellent series. Not sure if anything else is planned,
but personally, I would love to see a programme or two on all the
disused stations on the Tube network.

Re the bricked up platform at Down Street, were German spies not
privvy to early/mid 30s Tube maps then?

The bricking up will have been practical as well (primarily?), meant gaining the platform as a useable, safe, space even when trains were running.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Is there a hierachy of jobs (eg cleaners to train drivers)?

The stations at night are quite vulnerable to terrorist attack if theres only 1 person there!

I saw a few modern signs at Down Street, whys that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.