• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The UK attitude to firearms

Which of the following applies (choose all that apply)

• Owned a gun

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Fired a gun

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Held a gun

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • Seen a gun

Votes: 59 45.0%
  • None of these

Votes: 58 44.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
Don't go to Brazil then. The Policia Militar live up to expectations - keep in mind that (certainly in Rio) they provide the majority of policing services.
Ha ha, will keep that in mind. It is on the list of places to go. I think Colombia will be the next in South America, my brother is marrying a girl from Bogota next month. Bolivia was amazing, a very beautiful but sketchy place. Ha ha. The exes dad wasn't keen on us going there and he was working for a security company in Iraq at the time. Was worried after what he had said but we had no bother at all fortunately.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
I've fired a rifle in New Zealand. To this say I'm not 100% sure of the legal status of the ownership. Have held an SA-80. Always feel a little uneasy when I see police by Lime Street with their carbines, that is normally only after terrorist incidents in the country. Scariest was seeing police outside banks in Bolivia with what looked like Schmeissers.

As in Wermacht standard issue ? - blimey did they have Luger Pistols as well :E

trash80

Established Member
You can tell him what you like. But to answer your first point, what about those who have fired a gun somewhere on holiday, over here as hobby, a hunter or anyone who is old enough to own a gun before all the major restrictions came in?

Still only going to be a tiny minority of people

fowler9

Established Member
As in Wermacht standard issue ? - blimey did they have Luger Pistols as well :E
Ha ha, I am far from an expert on guns but they looked very much like Shmeissers. Obviously they wouldn't have been but I wouldn't know what else made these days look like them. As an aside while we were in La Paz it was the second anniversary of their new constitution. We were treated to a massive military parade (APC's, soldiers, sailors, air force etc.) with groups from the various cultural groups in the country marching behind them. Less of a treat was a two hour long speech by President Evo Morales up on his balcony.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Ha ha, will keep that in mind. It is on the list of places to go. I think Colombia will be the next in South America, my brother is marrying a girl from Bogota next month. Bolivia was amazing, a very beautiful but sketchy place. Ha ha. The exes dad wasn't keen on us going there and he was working for a security company in Iraq at the time. Was worried after what he had said but we had no bother at all fortunately.

Mexico was pretty shocking for highly militarised security guards, who looked more like soldiers, guarding what was the equivalent of local high street banks. They weren’t just armed with pistols, but with shot guns and assault rifles.

Pretty disconcerting to see, although we had no trouble when we were out there. Didn’t see anything like as many guns in Brazil, despite its reputation.

TheEdge

Established Member
I remember being on holiday with my dad in South Africa, somewhere in and around 2000 and going to a KFC in Joburg. The counter was mostly covered by a pull down barrier and the guard outside was armed with, if I remember correctly, an MP5. The chicken must be protected

fowler9

Established Member
I remember being on holiday with my dad in South Africa, somewhere in and around 2000 and going to a KFC in Joburg. The counter was mostly covered by a pull down barrier and the guard outside was armed with, if I remember correctly, an MP5. The chicken must be protected
Definitely, especially with the KFC chicken shortage in the UK at the mo.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Don't go to Brazil then. The Policia Militar live up to expectations - keep in mind that (certainly in Rio) they provide the majority of policing services.

I have been to Brazil and I have seen guns being used, even a mate who lives in Rio has said to me that she doesn't feel safe in Brazil anymore.

najaB

Veteran Member
I have been to Brazil and I have seen guns being used, even a mate who lives in Rio has said to me that she doesn't feel safe in Brazil anymore.
The first couple of times I was in Rio I felt quite safe walking the streets even at night, now I'd think twice going out in the daytime (presuming I even go back).

Butts

Veteran Member
The first couple of times I was in Rio I felt quite safe walking the streets even at night, now I'd think twice going out in the daytime (presuming I even go back).

Don't go near any ex-Nazi Dentist's and you should be okay :p

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

I’d never, ever go to Brazil.

I’ve watched too much Liveleak to ever contemplate visiting. It’s a toilet.

fowler9

Established Member
I’d never, ever go to Brazil.

I’ve watched too much Liveleak to ever contemplate visiting. It’s a toilet.
I quite fancy visiting. I wanted to go when I was in the area but the budget really wouldn't stretch.

Lucan

Established Member
Considering you've listed most legitimate uses for guns in the UK, I hope that everyone answers "none of these"!
I'm not clear what the list in the first post was meant to exclude, but I have owned a .22 target rifle so I guess I should tick that box anyway. I shot in rifle clubs and in my university team. I also shot on the university outdoor range with full bore (ie 0.303 and 7.62mm) rifles, and in the Navy with automatic weapons.

I have no problem with gun ownership with closely controlled licensing, usage and background checks. I am utterly against the "cowboy" attitude of the idiots in the American NRA, and find it incredible that this attitude is still allowed to prevail. I often argue against the NRA attiude on certain forums with a high USA membership : the attitude seems to be "If we ban/restrict guns then only criminals will have them". They have no concept of eg the British culture where it is very rare for criminals to use or be seen with guns, knowing that the police for 50 mile around will drop everything else and descend on them like a ton of bricks if they do, and that they will be dealt a far harsher sentence when it gets to court.

najaB

Veteran Member
They have no concept of eg the British culture where it is very rare for criminals to use or be seen with guns, knowing that the police for 50 mile around will drop everything else and descend on them like a ton of bricks if they do, and that they will be dealt a far harsher sentence when it gets to court.
The problem is that genies are a lot easier to keep in the bottle than to convince to get back in.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm not clear what the list in the first post was meant to exclude, but I have owned a .22 target rifle so I guess I should tick that box anyway. I shot in rifle clubs and in my university team. I also shot on the university outdoor range with full bore (ie 0.303 and 7.62mm) rifles, and in the Navy with automatic weapons.

I have no problem with gun ownership with closely controlled licensing, usage and background checks. I am utterly against the "cowboy" attitude of the idiots in the American NRA, and find it incredible that this attitude is still allowed to prevail. I often argue against the NRA attiude on certain forums with a high USA membership : the attitude seems to be "If we ban/restrict guns then only criminals will have them". They have no concept of eg the British culture where it is very rare for criminals to use or be seen with guns, knowing that the police for 50 mile around will drop everything else and descend on them like a ton of bricks if they do, and that they will be dealt a far harsher sentence when it gets to court.
They are no doubt also aware that, should a policeman get killed in such an event, and presuming that the criminal survived to be arrested, the sentence they would receive would probably keep them in gaol until their dotage (cf Harry Roberts).

fowler9

Established Member
The problem is that genies are a lot easier to keep in the bottle than to convince to get back in.
True, it would be interesting to know how many people in the US are robbed at gunpoint in like an average year and try and work out how many criminals are put off by the fear that the person they try and rob may have a concealed weapon. I don't think concealed carry is allowed as much as we think. I could be totally wrong.

baz962

Established Member
They are no doubt also aware that, should a policeman get killed in such an event, and presuming that the criminal survived to be arrested, the sentence they would receive would probably keep them in gaol until their dotage (cf Harry Roberts).

Do you mean here. In many us states it is quite often straight to the death chamber for killing a police officer.

Jonny

Established Member
True, it would be interesting to know how many people in the US are robbed at gunpoint in like an average year and try and work out how many criminals are put off by the fear that the person they try and rob may have a concealed weapon. I don't think concealed carry is allowed as much as we think. I could be totally wrong.

I've heard it said, that outside major Democrat-run gun control areas, the USA is a pretty safe place in terms of violent crime. Apparently the vast majority of deliberate injuries are suicides (or attempts).

najaB

Veteran Member
I've heard it said.. the USA is a pretty safe place in terms of violent crime.
Doesn't make it true. Based on UN statistics, the USA (at 4.88 murders per 100,000 population) is only slightly less dangerous than Somalia (5.56). By way of comparison, Canada (1.68), France (1.58), Australia (0.98) and the UK (0.92) are all significantly safer.
Apparently the vast majority of deliberate injuries are suicides (or attempts).
That is probably true everywhere - a gun is more likely to kill the owner or household member (through suicide or accident) than a stranger.
I've heard it said, that outside major Democrat-run gun control areas...
Alternative facts from a right-leaning source, perhaps?

Domh245

Established Member
Alternative facts from a right-leaning source, perhaps?

I don't know about gun control areas, but most big cities in the US are Democrat run are they not? So it makes sense that the Democrat run areas have got higher rates of violent crime because that's just the nature of cities where there are far more people. In much the same way that violent crime is higher in London than somewhere out in the countryside (Midsomer excepted of course)

najaB

Veteran Member
I don't know about gun control areas, but most big cities in the US are Democrat run are they not?
That is true, but the phrase "Democrat-run gun control areas" screams political opinion rather than objective fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.