• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The United States Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As a lapsed Buffy fan, what exactly is a railroad spike?

This sort of thing:

Railroad_spikes.JPG

You can see a bit more here. Certainly make for a nasty weapon and I'd rather not think about how exactly he made use of them to earn his name...

martinsh

Established Member
I was working at an IndyCar race in Ohio many years ago. Our aerodynamicist who was English announced that he was "going round the back of the garages to smoke a fag" which got quite a reaction from the assembled team crew. In the US "smoke a fag" translates as "shoot a homosexual"

Yeah, I don't understand, in the US there doesn't seem to be any slang word for a cigarette !

NY Yankee

Looks like it's going to be Obama vs. Romney

In case you're unaware of American politics, America has a two party system. Democrats favor civil rights, women's rights, and mass transit. Republicans are racist and favor the rich and large corporations. Bill Clinton and Barack Obama are Democrats. George W. Bush is a Republican. Ken Livingstone would likely be a Democrat. Boris Johnson would likely be a Republican. Barack Obama is the current president of the United States. He is running for one more term, but he is facing opposition from the Republicans.

Rick Santorum is poised to suspend his bid for the presidency on Tuesday, removing the last significant obstacle in Mitt Romney's now all-but-certain march to the Republican presidential nomination.

Santorum is expected to make the announcement at a press conference in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania shortly, sources told CBS News.

An unapologetic social and fiscal conservative, Santorum spent much of the 2012 campaign cycle as an also-ran, toiling in relative obscurity while a succession of contenders - Donald Trump, Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry, Herman Cain and Newt Gingrich among them - rose to the top of the Republican presidential polls before falling back to earth.

He finally began gaining traction in Iowa shortly before the January 3 caucuses, when social conservatives eager for a candidate to call their own started to coalesce around him. Santorum effectively tied Romney in Iowa before going on to win another ten states and claim the mantle of conservative alternative to the frontrunner.

Yet Romney was able to leverage his organizational and financial advantage over Santorum to build up a delegate lead and keep his rival from victories in states like Ohio and Michigan that would have signaled that Santorum held appeal outside the conservative base. And Santorum was never able to shake the perception that he could not beat President Obama in the fall, with GOP primary voters overwhelmingly citing Romney as the most electable candidate in exit poll after exit poll.

Santorum's better-than-anyone-expected finish amounts to a political resurrection for the two-term senator following his crushing loss in his bid for a third term in 2006, and sets him up as a major figure in the Republican Party representing its sizable social conservative wing. It also reflects lingering distrust of Romney on the part of the GOP's most conservative voters, who have pointed to Romney's relatively-moderate record as Massachusetts governor to suggest Romney does not truly represent them.

Santorum's campaign had insisted earlier in the day that the former Pennsylvania senator was not leaving the race despite a last-minute decision to cancel his Tuesday morning campaign events. Early Tuesday morning, the campaign announced that Santorum's three-year-old daughter Bella, who suffers from a genetic condition called Trisomy 18, had been released from the hospital after falling ill over the weekend. The campaign said that the morning events had been cancelled so Santorum could help his family "settle in at home."

On his Facebook page just hours before the expected announcement, Santorum had posted a message that he was "back on the campaign trail" in his home state. He had been set to participate in a "Faith, Family, and American Values forum" at Lancaster Bible College Tuesday evening.

There had been widespread speculation that Santorum would leave the race before Pennsylvania's April 24 primary in order to avoid a possible loss in his home state, which he had deemed must-win. Recent polls in the Keystone state have shown a tight race between Santorum and Romney, with Romney having significantly narrowed what in early March was a double-digit Santorum lead.

Santorum's expected departure from the race leaves Romney with just two remaining challengers: Gingrich, who has won just two contests thus far, and Ron Paul, who has won none. Gingrich acknowledged that Romney the "far and away the most likely" nominee over the weekend in an interview in which he seemed to be reflecting on a failed campaign, while Paul has largely gone quiet on the campaign trail.

CBS News estimates show Romney with 645 of the 1,144 delegates he needs to win the GOP nomination before the nominating convention in Tampa in late August. Santorum is in second with 252 delegates, followed by Gingrich with 128 delegates and Paul with 45 delegates. Santorum's decision to leave the race significantly improves Romney's odds of reaching 1,144 delegates by the time voting wraps up in June, thus avoiding a contested convention. Santorum and Gingrich have said that their last, best hope for the nomination was in keeping Romney below that threshold and then triumphing at the convention. Even before Santorum's announcement, Romney had expected to expand his delegate lead in the four other states holding primaries on April 24 - Connecticut, New York, Delaware, and Rhode Island.

Santorum's expected decision to "suspend" his campaign, rather than formally end it, allows him to continue raising money to cover potential campaign debt.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57411949-503544/rick-santorum-ending-bid-for-gop-nomination/

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well that's good news (not that Santorum would actually have been able to win the election but still pleased that the chance has gone completely). So I guess it should be a pretty straight shot for Obama to win a second term as I don't see Romney (or any of the other Republican candidates) being able to win enough support from the centre to actually beat Obama come November.

LE Greys

Established Member
Well that's good news (not that Santorum would actually have been able to win the election but still pleased that the chance has gone completely). So I guess it should be a pretty straight shot for Obama to win a second term as I don't see Romney (or any of the other Republican candidates) being able to win enough support from the centre to actually beat Obama come November.

To be honest, I was rather hoping that Santorum would get the nomination, since he is so clearly unelectable that Obama would win with a decent majority and this would give him the chance to make a real difference. It would also allow the odd "Sanatorium" joke. Last time, I was rather hoping that Hillary Clinton would get the nomination, perhaps with Obama as her vice-President, most likely meaning that he would run himself at the end of her second term (if she got one). Still, that didn't happen, and I reckon it turned out OK in the end. Anyway, let's hope that Obama does well. Without so much worry about re-election, he might have a somewhat freer hand to push things through this time.

NY Yankee

In this week's news from across the pond:

Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen was recently suspended for praising former Cuban despot Fidel Castro. I'm sure all of you know about the Cuban missile crisis, Soviet Union, etc. Miami is a city with a large Cuban population. They're not exactly fans of Castro. I think that Ozzie is entitled to his opinion, regardless of how stupid it is.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7795152/ozzie-guillen-miami-marlins-suspended-five-games

Brad Pitt is engaged to Angeline Jolie. In case you don't know, they are American actors who have adopted several kids from around the world. Pitt was previously married to Jennifer Aniston.

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/now/angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-engaged-192617877.html

The Yankees won their home opener against the Los Angeles Angels, 5-0, though they are currently getting pounded 7-1 as I write this post.

Finally, WWE is having an event in Manchester today (April 14). Hopefully, you will get to see John Cena, Big Show, Shaemus, and Chris Jericho.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The whole US position on Cuba at this point is pretty ridiculous. During the Cold War I think it was vaguely understandable (but only vaguely) but it's been more than twenty years since the Wall came down and it's about time that the US government started to do business with one of their closest neighbours. Though I guess one of the main problems is that Castro has always managed to show up the US (surviving a lot of assassination attempts and Bay of Pigs just mention a few things), something which they'll never forgive him.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I'll tell you what, ol' Fidel's longevity says a lot for the effectiveness of sanctions, doesn't it. I bet when he does finally kick the bucket, at the age of 117, the U.S.'ll say "See? Told you we'd win in the end."

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
In London (and here in Trowbridge :p), everyone J-walks...don't try that in NY! :shock: :lol:

Is there anywhere that shows repeats of the current NASCAR series? I've wanted to get into it but there is highlights but nothing of the full thing that I can see. I don't have a TV or TV licence, so I can't watch live stuff, just any repeats that might be about.

Cheers,

James.

NY Yankee

(AP) CARTAGENA, Colombia - An embarrassing scandal involving prostitutes and Secret Service agents deepened Saturday as 11 agents were placed on leave, and the agency designed to protect President Barack Obama had to offer regret for the mess overshadowing his diplomatic mission to Latin America.

The controversy also expanded to the U.S. military, which announced five service members staying at the same hotel as the agents in Colombia may have been involved in misconduct as well. They were confined to their quarters in Colombia and ordered not to have contact with others.

All the alleged activities took place before Obama arrived Friday in this Colombian port city for meetings with 33 other regional leaders.

Put together, the allegations were an embarrassment for an American president on foreign soil and threatened to upend White House efforts to keep his trip focused squarely on boosting economic ties with fast-growing Latin America. Obama was holding two days of meetings at the Summit of the Americas with leaders from across the vast region before heading back to Washington Sunday night.

DOD may be part of alleged prostitute scanda
Video: Secret Service members accused of misconduct

The Secret Service did not disclose the nature of the misconduct. The Associated Press confirmed on Friday that it involved prostitutes.

The White House said Obama had been briefed about the incidents but would not comment on his reaction.

"The president does have full confidence in the United States Secret Service," presidential spokesman Jay Carney said when asked.

Carney insisted the matter was more a distraction for the media than Obama. But Secret Service assistant director Paul Morrissey said in a statement: "We regret any distraction from the Summit of the Americas this situation has caused."

Rep. Peter King, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, told the AP after he was briefed on the investigation on Saturday that "close to" all 11 of the agents involved had brought women back to their rooms at a hotel separate from where Obama is now staying.

The New York Republican said the women were "presumed to be prostitutes" but investigators were interviewing the agents.

The lawmaker also offered new details about the controversy.

King said he was told that anyone visiting the hotel overnight was required to leave identification at the front desk and leave the hotel by 7 a.m. When a woman failed to do so, it raised questions among hotel staff and police, who investigated. They found the woman with the agent in the hotel room and a dispute arose over whether the agent should have paid her.

King said he was told that the agent did eventually pay the woman.

The incident was reported to the U.S. embassy, prompting further investigation, King said

The 11 employees in question were special agents and Uniformed Division Officers. None were assigned to directly protect Obama. All were sent home and replaced, Morrissey said, given "the nature of the allegations" and a zero tolerance policy on personal misconduct.

The Secret Service says the incidents have had no bearing on its ability to provide security for Obama's stay in Colombia.

Another jolt came Saturday when the U.S. Southern Command said five service members assigned to support the Secret Service violated their curfew and may have been involved in inappropriate conduct. Carney said it was part of the same incident involving the Secret Service.

As for the apparent misconduct by the military members, Gen. Douglas Fraser, commander of U.S. Southern Command, said he was "disappointed by the entire incident" and said the behavior was "not in keeping with the professional standards expected of members of the United States military."

Col. Scott Malcom, chief of public affairs for Southern Command, said of the five service members: "The only misconduct I can confirm is that they were violating the curfew established. He said he had seen the news reports about the Secret Service agents involved in alleged prostitution at the hotel but could not confirm whether the service members also were involved.

The military is investigating.

The Secret Service agents at the center of the allegations had stayed at Cartagena's five-star Hotel Caribe. Several members of the White House staff and press corps subsequently stayed at the hotel.

King credited the Secret Service director for acting quickly to remove the agents in question and replace them before Obama's arrival.

A hotel employee, speaking on the condition of anonymity for fear of losing his job, said the agents arrived at the beachfront hotel about a week ago and said the agents left the hotel Thursday, a day before Obama and other regional leaders arrived for the weekend summit.

Three waiters interviewed by the AP at the hotel described the agents as drinking heavily during their stay.

On Friday, the hotel began filling up with the delegations of some of the more than 30 countries whose leaders are convening for the weekend Summit of the Americas.

The hotel's public relations director, Ana Beatriz Angel, refused to comment on the incident, which she said "concerns only and exclusively the U.S. government."

On the steamy streets of Cartagena, a resort city with a teeming prostitution trade, there was condemnation for the Secret Service agents for what residents saw as abusing their station and dishonoring their country.

Edwin Yepes, a souvenir vendor, said "they are supposed to come here and set an example. We are an inferior culture, and so it's better if they don't come than if they damage our image of them."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57414228/secret-service-scandal-deepens-11-put-on-leave/

Prostitution is a victimless crime. It should be legalised. I'm not sure if it's legal in the UK. It's definitely legal in the Netherlands. Nevertheless, secret service was on official business. That was not the appropriate time to act like a frat boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.