• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The unthinkable has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galvanize

Growling grockler and Sunday Symphonic Pathfinder tours featuring Class 37 haulage are both cancelled.

"Pathfinder's Penzance and Ilkley tours have been CANCELLED due to the loss of the Barnstaple branch from the original itinerary, spiralling fuel costs and borderline bookings. Ta KG"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
Good, wasn't going to have my camera then so i won't miss it-it just won't run :p

Obviously it's not good, but i won't feel so gutted!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It'll run in a few years time when the 37s are gone. Then it'll run as a 9-car 222 on hire for the day (or similar) from York to Exeter, where unit changes for the Barnstaple line and the rest feature for the unit bashers...

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Joe H said:
DRS 37s are common anyway! There will be another tour with then soon!

They may be common to you, but think about people such as myself and Julian (WSX) where DRS 37s are not at all common in fact I have never seen a DRS 37 or 20 for that matter down my stretch of line at all!!

1D53

Established Member
Both still showing as going ahead on the Pathfinder site :|

theblackwatch

Established Member
Things seem to be a bit up in the air with this one, and the gen on various lists that it is cancelled appears to have been a bit premature. One of my travelling companions who is meant to be doing this train with me called Pathfinder yesterday, and they expect to know whether it will be running or not some time today - it depends on the outcome of discussions regarding the Barnstaple branch.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
50149 said:
They may be common to you, but think about people such as myself and Julian (WSX) where DRS 37s are not at all common in fact I have never seen a DRS 37 or 20 for that matter down my stretch of line at all!!

THANK YOU J! :notworth:

I'm glad you got there before me, I might have made a multi-paragraph rant about how most of us in the South and West don't see/have never seen a 37, how the chaps who see the DRS 37s every day/week should be grateful they have the chance and how lucky the ones on the tour next weekend are to get haulage and tons of miles behind them!

Personally, it's not such a big deal in terms of seeing 37s, as I've seen many 37s in the last 2.5 years. That was helped by living in South Wales for a while, what with Margam and Canton depots both heavily loaded with 37s back when I first started number crunching proper in February 2004 (when I equipped myself with Locomotives and Diesel Multiple Units books. EMUs and carriages came later). Of course, that changed soon enough, and we were loaded up with 66s. A 37 still has that 'head-turning' effect on me. Whenever I see one, I want a shot of it (unless it's another shot in the same location of the same one, then it gets pointless, unless I'm doing a photo diary of the trip), more so a confirmation of its ID to make sure I've marked it off. In sighting terms, I am very lucky to see the amount of 37s I have, with so many trips to so many locations. Mind, some of it has been helped by the privatisation of the network, which makes the scene interesting by changing it every week or so. Loco-hauled services on the Rhymney line helped me get haulage and mileage behind some 37s too, which I admit is something I consider myself to have been lucky to do when I did really.

I can't recall the exact number, but I believe it's more than 70 different 37s I've seen. Considering the fact 37s are rather rare these days, especially non-/4s, this is something I've very proud of.

I feel sorry for those who have never seen a 37 in the flesh. The sight, the sound, the feel of true, raw power at the helm...

T

Tom

Coxster, the 37 arrived after my trip on the 1st April. Nathan saw Clydebridge.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I thrashed the letter at the wall to see it only said it was cos they couldnt get to barnstaple, Falnmouth didnt seem interesting and wasnt worth going for! (EH?!?!?)

Anyway Im well pee'd off with PTH especially I booked the day off work!
I also will let them keep my £86 for another great tour hopefully!

Status
Not open for further replies.