• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It's only a 90 though, imagine if it was an 87, that I would be more than jealous of! 87s are still my favourite electric loco class, although 92s come a very close second.

At least, noddy, my last 166 isn't sat at Long Marston ;)

noddy1878

Established Member
It's only a 90 though, imagine if it was an 87, that I would be more than jealous of! 87s are still my favourite electric loco class, although 92s come a very close second.

At least, noddy, my last 166 isn't sat at Long Marston ;)

<( I'm sure it won't be there for long!

Kite159

Veteran Member
<( I'm sure it won't be there for long!

At least it didn't have a small fire and was out of action for a few months when getting repaired :lol:

---

BTW did I mention that on Sunday after a random decision to re-cover Laverstock curve both ways (I decided to pay the extra for 1st class on the theory that the trains might have been busy) I bumped into a dear old friend ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20180204_152933232.jpg
    IMG_20180204_152933232.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I must resist the temptation to make a nasty comment! The best response I have right now, pre-coffee this morning, is platform 4 at Hereford ;)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Friday was a good day, firstly scoring the Dagenham East bay platform (which only sees use during peak times to turn around District line services), before landing my last 357/3 (357326) at Upminster, with a bit of a delay on the jubilee line caused my idea of intercepting 387160 at Ealing to fail as I waited for it to depart to get my 2nd last 387 into the book (just waiting for 387174 to arrive).

But now for the main event of my weekend
10th February – The Blue Boys Ribble Rouser

Back last year Pathfinder came up with this “Spin & Win” tour to Preston Docks & the Ribble Steam Railway, as it covered a couple parts in the Crewe area I wanted, and was calling at Basingstoke I decided to fork out for it (had it required an overnight stay somewhere then probably I would have had 2nd thoughts). Anyhow it was a 04:45 alarm call for me, on a cold frosty morning to deice the car with a nonnotable drive to Basingstoke, parking in the premium car park with time to spare; noting that I had forgot to put my walking boots in the car (doh!) so I was left with my old trainers.

There was a reasonable crowd on platform 3, as the first Andover – Waterloo service arrived and departed, looking pretty much dead [retimed] and some annoyed passengers from Winchester who got off the stopper expecting the 159 to still be at its usual time, only to get bowled out with a long trip to London (the next London was also a stopper). Anyhow I’m drifting off topic as the tell tale sound of a pair of 37s approaching meant the charter train was arriving with my first 37/0 37069 leading winner 37609 to get my day off to a good start. I located my seat in coach C, being thankful I managed to avoid one of the narrow bench seats, and settled down for the trip towards Didcot, via the Reading West Curve, giving Quinn a little wave as he departed Didcot heading towards London to play with the HSTs.

Next stop was at Banbury, picking up again at Leamington Spa & Coventry, keeping good timings as the coach was getting busier, I felt sorry for those in coach D as it was a Mk2 with no heat or light. After Coventry the train went onto the line towards Nuneaton, arriving into platform 1 for the first loco swap of the day, sadly the 37s were long gone by the time I managed to get off the train [short platform], so I headed to Asda for some supplies (and it looked like I wasn’t alone with that idea), returning to watch 88001 attaching to the front, my first Electrocat for haulage, and 001 put in a very good performance down the WCML [little microgrice of the northbound connection of platform 1 at Nuneaton, one day a railtour will turn left and head towards Birmingham]. At Colwich it turned off to head towards Stone, getting a signal check outside Stoke (as it was running a tad early at this point), switching to diesel mode around Kidsgrove to carry on towards Crewe (just because an Electrocat can).

After a short wait, the train went into platform 12 at Crewe, with the 88 detaching as a 57 & 66 rolled in, to decouple, 57304 went to the northern end with 66428 going to the south end, making it 5 out of 5 so far. 66428 hauled the set onto the Shrewsbury line towards a loop in the Gresty Green area (spotting a few Cats on the depot). The 57 was in charge for my first Baker track score of the day with the decline from the Shrewsbury line towards the Crewe avoiding independent lines, also scoring the Manchester Independent line diving underneath the WCML to come out the other side, running alongside the main Manchester lines joining them after platform 3 at Sandbach (which I was quite happy with as it meant I don’t have to worry about doing that early morning Crewe – Bolton service which uses the back platform at Sandbach to be overtaken). The former 47807 put in a good performance, turning left at Wilmslow to use the Styal line towards Manchester Piccadilly, having a signal check between the two Heald Green junctions before a good run, passing through Piccadilly, Oxford Road & Deansgate where the original plan would have seen the train taking the line towards Bolton then up towards Blackburn, but due to Network Rail running late with the wires, Bolton was closed once more, so it was along Chat Moss to join the WCML south of Wigan.

Nothing of note, passing Wigan North Western, going onto the slows south of Euxton, and onto the goods line after the junction where the Lostock line comes in (sorry I don’t have my book to get the correct name), across the river before turning left to head downhill behind the platforms at Preston, crossing over a couple roads and onto the Ribble Steam Railway metals, passing the waterside of the former docks to come to a stop at the headquarters of the steam railway at Preston Riversidie station. We had a 2 hour gap, so I wasn’t alone in heading across the industrial estate [it isn’t the easiest to find] to head to Morrisons for both a late lunch & also to grab something for dinner later on. Returning to the museum to have a look at the various static locos (steam, diesel & electric), getting some history and even a little bit of new track behind a little battery loco (I didn’t have anything better to do). Returning to the train to read my magazine as it started to refill with 66428 back in charge for the run back towards the main-line, going around the back platform at Wigan North Western (platform 1), using the dive-under on the goods line, and going via the Royal Mail place north of Warrington (this time going into the terminal from the centre crossover, meaning I just need the connecting line inside the terminal).

A bit stop-start (mixture of us running early and some delayed services from Scotland) as the train took the Liverpool independent line to dive underneath the WCML and used the connection back to the Gresty Green loop, where 66428 was detached, with 57304 back in charge for the run into Crewe where it detached and we waited for a 88+68 combo to roll in. It was rumoured to be another 88 and a 68 I need (only need 001/002/016 & 017 of the non-TPE batch), but alas it was the return of 88001 bringing along dud 68004 (although only dud from a Haymarket leap). Running in multiple for a little trip around the Basford Hall area (it was dark by this point), the person sat next to me won the top prize in the raffle (close but no cigar for me) and it was a good run southbound (now I was near the front to head the engines of the 68 & 88) we were held after Stafford to allow other services to pass in order to rescue the 37 driver from a failed 350 at Rugeley Trent Valley, the result meaning the loco change at Nuneaton was a bit delayed (although another little microgrice of the connection from platform 2 towards the Coventry line). 37609 & 37069 were back in charge, as we got caught behind the 153s meaning Coventry was around 40 minutes late, but due to having a clear path on the Leamington line and not having to wait in loops to get overtaken, that delay was pretty much gone by Oxford, arriving into Didcot early! Well done driver, that was some good 37 thrash. A couple minutes late into Basingstoke, but overall an excellent tour, followed with a good drive home (I say good, but it had rained a lot meaning the roads were a bit flooded so I had to be careful to avoid hitting the puddles).

5 winning locos (out of 6) was a good return, a couple more bits of track in the Crewe area (only need the connection from the Chester line towards the Independent lines). However a lazy Sunday was called for to recover from a long day.

37069 arrives at Basingstoke
Electrocat 88001 & 68004 at Crewe

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I still can't believe that you managed to spot me on that tram! Sounds like you had a good time on the trip and at least your mileage on 68004 is now a lot better than it originally was.

Tw99

I was going to go out and look at the return trip of the 37s from Eastleigh today, but it seems to have been cancelled.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was going to go out and look at the return trip of the 37s from Eastleigh today, but it seems to have been cancelled.

Bad luck with the return getting cancelled :(

Edit - I believe those 37s are staying in Eastleigh all week as they are due to work a Pathfinder tour to the S&C on Saturday.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A very long day, for sure, but it sounds like it was worth it for the track scores and the decent number of loco scores.

Sorry it took me a while to get round to reading this, many distractions were the cause once I sorted my brain out...

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've just booked onto that Deltic tour at the end of September, staying overnight in Sheffield, 68 to York before the Deltic takes over on a tour towards Morpeth before heading to Carlisle then back to York via Leeds. Should hopefully be a good day out [even with no track getting scored but it will be my first trip behind a 55 on what I suspect will be the Burton based Mk2 coaches].

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That looked like an excellent tour Kite. Really interesting.
I’ve never been on the Crewe avoiding lines, would love to get some of those in the book.

Kite159

Veteran Member
17th February – A trip to Cheshire, Day 1

Bonjour everybody, this weekend I’ve been continuing my expedition to clear some bay platforms, reaching Crewe which had 4 bays outstanding, some of which don’t see that much in the way of passenger services. I made a rough plan to also have a day of gentle pottering around the Cheshire Day Ranger area, staying overnight in Stockport. So with everything packed it was ready for a weekend away.

I was booked on the 05:27 Waterloo service, using an advance ticket to Whitchurch (Shropshire) which did confuse the guard when we departed Whitchurch in Hampshire, I guess he only saw the word “Whitchurch” and didn’t notice the Shropshire part. Anyhow today it was formed of 159021 for the smooth trip to Waterloo, for a short walk to the underground with 51600/51601 taking me onto Euston where I was booked onto the 07:35 Manchester service (one which goes via Crewe), normally this doesn’t get announced as available to board until the 07:20 Manchester service clears off, so I had time to visit Sainsburys for a bacon sandwich (witnessing a not very bright shoplifter putting a sandwich in her bag in view of a security guard).

390156 was the unit taking me onwards to Manchester, due to being forced to purchase these tickets via the TPE website meant I didn’t have a good seat, so ignored my assigned seat and headed to coach U to grab one with a window sill armrest, watching as 87001 headed out of Euston to eventually attach to the rear of the sleeper. A smooth ride on the WCML, arriving into Crewe around 5 minutes late, giving me 5 minutes to get across to platform 7 for the ATW service to Shrewsbury, which would have been easy had it not been for a large group of photographers taking pictures of 97302 sat in platform 8 running light engine somewhere. I was expecting a 153 to be on the shuttle, but was surprised to see 150227, allowing me to tick of platform 7, probably the easier of my last 4 bays at Crewe.

97302 at Crewe

After calling at Nantwich & Wrenbury, I alighted at Whitchurch for a 30 minute fester, which turned into nearly 45 minutes due to late running of the next Manchester service so I took a seat and relaxed, watching the clouds, as 158828 rolled in with 150281 on the rear locked out of use, quite busy it was but I got a seat near the front of the train for the run back to Crewe, the reason for the 150 being locked out of use became clear as it got detached at Crewe. Anyhow a short wait until the next Chester bound service arrived from London, this being 221113 & 221143 bound for Holyhead taking me to Chester where I managed to make a tight connection onto the next Merseyrail departure (which I was going to take to Bache to visit the Morrisons for lunch), only for it to get delayed due to the points failing outside Chester station. 25 (or so minutes) later 507025 eventually got going but running empty as far as I could see, so with that little plan gone into the bin, I took a seat and waited for the next Manchester via Northwich service to arrive. 150277 was sat on platform 6 and with the faster route via Runcorn being closed I was hoping for a double unit for crowding reasons. Thankfully it was a double unit which rolled into platform 5, with 142047 leading 142034, I took a seat in the bench seated 034 (rather than the Merseytravel refurbished 047) and relaxed for the slow trip on the Mid Cheshire line (coming up with a crazy idea of having a stopper to Northwich which could use the branch platform allowing the Chester service to be sped up by running semifast).

I bailed at Stockport for a short connection onto 390112 which I was hoping to grab something to eat from Manchester Piccadilly but nothing took my fancy in WH Smiths. My first EMT service of the year was 158773/158854 for the tiny hop to Oxford Road, where I transferred across to platform 3 for a low mileage 150118 working the next Liverpool stopping service via one of the poorest lines for time keeping, however it means I can cross of another couple little gaps of my “northern network coverage by Northern service” map (Birchwood to Padgate, Sankey to Widnes), but it was slow going but thankfully wasn’t the one which called at the likes of Trafford Park or Glazebrook. A last minute change of plan saw me jumping off at Hunts Cross for a +3 onto a Merseyrail service, just to give me a bit of extra variety with 508108 taking me to Moorfields & 508123 for the short hop to Lime Street low level. This being the first time I’ve been to Lime Street since the engineering works took place last year and it looks good, but it was time for a late lunch so a trip to Boots was called for before heading over to platform 9 for the next TPE to Scarborough.

Thankfully it was one of my handful of 185s on bus stop mileage, so eventually the doors were opened on 185110 as I managed to grab a table seat to give my phone a quick recharge and settled down for the run back to Manchester via the Birchwood line, it wouldn’t be much of a surprise but we caught up with the stopper after Birchwood so it was a bit of a crawl afterwards, thankfully from May these services are diverted via the faster Newton Le Willows line which will hopefully mean better time keeping. The 185 eventually rolled into Piccadilly 10 minutes late, which didn’t matter for me as I had a reasonable connection onto the next Crewe via the Airport service, but first a couple of 185 departures and both were already cleared for 10 miles, allowing me to grab a decent seat on 323231 on the Crewe service, starting busy but emptying out at most of the stations along the route. A quick reversal at the airport and it was back out carrying on towards Wilmslow calling at Styal before I bailed connecting with 390020 for the short run to Stockport.

I had just over 21 minutes to get checked in, loss some weight from the bag and get back to the station, and it was a tight run thing with the Stoke bound 323229 rolling in just as I was heading up the stairs to platform 1. I was staying in the Travelodge which is in the shadow of the viaduct so quite handy, anyhow it was onto the Stoke stopping service, and like the airport one it emptied out as time went on, with another little bit of my northern network map ticked off (Macclesfield to Congleton) plus the bonus of heading into the bay at Stoke to save a job for later months on a West Midlands Day Ranger.

323229 at Stoke on Trent

Due to an incident at Watford the WCML was in a state of chaos with large delays being reported, thankfully 221134 rolled in on time to take me back to Stockport for another tight connection, this time onto the Crewe bound stopper formed of 323224 for guess what another part of my northern network map (this time being Holmes Chapel to Sandbach, yes I know it be silly but gives me something to do), and god this 323 was vocal, especially on the fast sections. Arriving into Crewe gave me 40 minutes for my next service, which was as good time to dodge the drunken half undressed females gathering around outside the entrance of the station to the Tesco Express garage to pick up something to munch on, they didn’t have a lot left so I made do with a Tuna pasta pot. Returning to the station I took a seat outside 153302 waiting for the doors to be opened on a busy service (for the first couple stops, emptied out pretty rapidly after Kidsgrove, maybe there is a need for one of the Liverpool – Birmingham services to go via Stoke to take some of the demand from the Alsager passengers.

153302 departs Stoke On Trent

The service I was waiting for was a Birmingham – Crewe service which runs behind a Euston – Crewe service allowing the one from London to be a double unit (and skip Stone, Kidsgrove etc), this was running around 20 minutes late, allowing an EMT service to Crewe to go in front, with it unusually departing from platform 1 (allowing a late running XC to overtake it), and I couldn’t really say no to a random microgrice of a crossover north of the station so it was onto 158857 for the run to Kidsgrove, for a short connection before 350111 rolled in to take me back to Crewe, my fingers were crossed as this is the only passenger service which is booked to use platform 8 at Crewe (on a regular week with no engineering works). My lucky socks must have worked as it rolled into platform 8 (tick).

350111 at Crewe

Purely as a time wasting move I leapt onto 175006 for the run to Whitchurch where the next northbound service was running late, with 175115 eventually rolling in a few minutes late, arriving into Crewe as the final Crewe – Manchester stopper was pulling out (which the 175 looped at Sandbach with the 323 using platform 3), however it was slow going as the 175 was caught behind a freight service, eventually arriving into Stockport 15 or so minutes late, not to bother as I had a slow walk back to the hotel with the sound of a voyager heading towards Manchester, one of the final services over the wonderful Stockport Viaduct

An unknown 221 passes over Stockport Viaduct late at night

Anyhow a good varied day, I got 3 new bays into my book (as per my plan) so it was time for an Inverkip. :)

Established Member
Caught up with a stopper after Birchwood? No way(!)

It probably won't surprise you to hear I'm not particularly impressed with the 'improvements' come May...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I enjoyed reading that and I particularly liked the photo of 153302 with the Top of the Pops style special effects lighting at Stoke.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I enjoyed reading that and I particularly liked the photo of 153302 with the Top of the Pops style special effects lighting at Stoke.

Tiny train, large platform.

----

Jamie, at least it makes it easier for you when using northern freebie tickets, no need to ask the guard on a TPE service. Also with services coming from the airport (deluxe 150/1s!) means you have a direct link to the airport ;)

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
18th February – A Cheshire Weekend, Day 2

After my semi-decent sleep in the Travelodge, I headed back towards Stockport station swinging via McDonalds for some breakfast (this is before I noticed the existence of a Sainsburys Local pretty much bang outside Stockport station, just around the corner). Today would be a bit quieter than yesterday, with my first move being the 8:36 to Stafford, just a regular XC service formed of a busy 220009 however this is one of the few XC services which goes via Crewe. I got my table seat (kicking out some hung-over people out) and relaxed for the speedy run towards Crewe before a fast run on the WCML to rejoin the regular route after Norton Bridge and reaching Stafford. No particular reason in general other than a dirt cheap advance and it ticking another part of my XC coverage by XC service (as per the network map, as I’m excluding those oddities which go Stoke – Crewe – Styal – Manchester, or that early Saturday morning Bristol – Westbury – Taunton service).

Anyhow once at Stafford I headed to the Tesco garage to pick up lunch for later, and mainly as a time wasting move as I had a long fester before the next Crewe bound service, spotting the unique livery of 66721 “Harry Beck” running light engine (I saw it later near 92014 at Crewe so maybe it had come to pick up the Cally 92 to take it to Loughborough for some more works, who knows?). My first option was a Liverpool bound 390/0 which I turned down for being high mileage, sadly to be rewarded with a high mileage 350 in the shape of 350242 for the run to Crewe, being thankful that I changed my plans as the service I would have caught (10:35ish Crewe – Euston) went from platform 3 instead of 2 this morning (the 11:35 was going from that platform), also the inbound service was running late which would have meant missing the Chester service. After alighting from the 350 at Crewe I headed towards the north facing bays, with my fingers crossed to see 158824 sat in platform 10, the lesser used of the 2 “Chester” bays, comes into use a lot more on Sundays with more Crewe – Holyhead services, which gave me the odd sight of a pair of 175/1s rolling in from Chester!

158824 at Crewe

I got a bit nervous as the PIS changed to being “delayed”, but thankfully there wasn’t anything to be worried as the train was unlocked a few minutes before departure, and I took a seat for the speedy run to Chester, arriving a few minutes early (I guess these shuttles are timed for the slower 150s), allowing me to make an unofficial connection to the 11:30 “Merseyrail Electrics” service, formed of 508124 for the run to Capenhurst, which on Sundays is easier to visit from the south. A good number of passengers actually got off the 508 here, including some kids who decided to ride their push bikes on the platform nearly knocking an oldish gentlemen flying (sorry but self-regulation of cyclists has failed, something needs to be done to bring them to account). I had around 8 minutes before 508143 arrived to take me back to Chester (why did I think the Chester services on Sundays were formed of double units?).

Once at Chester, I had time to kill so popped outside the station before returning for the 12:21 service to Crewe, formed of 158820, with a fast turnaround at Chester before heading back to Crewe, rolling into platform 10, and with time to kill I headed to the Tesco Express garage near to the station (noting that there appears to be a Greggs also close by) to grab something to eat for later on, before returning to the station. The good news is that a 350 had arrived into platform 2, however it appears a set swap was taking place with 350117 getting swapped with the 350 arriving from Liverpool, which was good news (platform 2 scored) but bad news (as it meant I would be boarding the Euston 350 at Stafford vice Crewe so wouldn’t get the pick of the good seats, but hey ho). Eventually the doors on 350117 were released as I took a seat in the leading coach of 350117 noting that the unit from Liverpool had a half yellow front (which meant it would either be a /2 or /3), but as the 350 departed I could say Crewe was complete

350117 at Crewe

A speedy run to Stafford, and another fester before the completely unsuitable 350259 rolled in, complete with its awful 3+2 seating (where passengers would rather stand than to take up a centre seat), a slow run to Rugby the train getting busier all the time until it emptied out at Rugby. I was trying to think the last time I was on a service train which went via Northampton and it must have been a good couple years. Anyhow at Northampton I bailed from 350259 and walked forward to grab a better seat on the quieter 350252 which 259 ran into, and this was a better run because after Milton Keynes it called at Leighton Buzzard before crossing over into the fast lines for a speedy run to Euston calling at Watford only. I need to research Euston into which trains use platform 17 as I’ve never actually seen anything using that one. Anyhow on route I noticed my booked train from Waterloo had vanished from the system which gave me an extra 30 minutes to play with, enough time for a little trip to High Street Kensington.

Due to engineering works the line north of High Street Kensington was closed, so services were booked to use the lesser used platform 4 (normally only sees services early morning/late night) so it was to the Victoria Line with 11031/11032 taking me to Green Park (where I made a mistake as I should have stayed on to Victoria), for a 6 minute wait for a rammed Uxbridge bound 228/115 to Earl’s Court with 21487/21488 to High Street Kensington, arriving into platform 3 (boo). A quick check of Google Maps saw a Olympia service due in around 10 minutes, and I got lucky as 21331/21332 rolled into that bay, back to Earl’s Court with 21457/21458 taking me to Westminster for a short ride on 96103/96068 to Waterloo, arriving with time to spare to pop to Tesco for a sub-roll for later on.

21331/21332 at platform 4 at High Street Kensington

The 18:15 service tonight was formed of a busy 159020, 159022 & 159001, with a youngster who hasn’t heard of the theory of removing a backpack might make for a more comfortable journey sat opposite. Back to Andover and with a lift home to end the day & a successful weekend, with another few entries getting cleared from my “required bays” sheet.

-------------

I'm just looking at the list, and I think the hardest to get will be those two at Rock Ferry which only sees one early morning departure a day, platform 3 will probably be easier to get than 4 as that one seems to get used on Sundays (and there is a nearby B&B). But I suspect they will be done on a weekend of engineering works which closes the line south of Rock Ferry.

Similar to that bay at Bridgend which currently has no booked use, I suspect that will probably get scored on an engineering works weekend closing the direct line forcing a couple services to go via the VoG.

Last edited:

Established Member
Normally the WMT Crewe services arrive into Euston platform 17-I've been into it several times.

Were you perhaps thinking back to the loop track renewal? All Sunday Chester services were 6 car then IIRC. (Certainly every other train in the week was)

Rock Ferry platform 3 gets used when something goes Tango Uniform too. (Normally when I'm sat in Chester wanting to go home! Required track for me too)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Normally the WMT Crewe services arrive into Euston platform 17-I've been into it several times.

Were you perhaps thinking back to the loop track renewal? All Sunday Chester services were 6 car then IIRC. (Certainly every other train in the week was)

Rock Ferry platform 3 gets used when something goes Tango Uniform too. (Normally when I'm sat in Chester wanting to go home! Required track for me too)

Platform 17 seems to get used but I've never seen anything in that platform but it is quite rare for me to be that part of Euston.

Fingers crossed some engineering works pops up closing the line south of Rock Ferry ;)

cactustwirly

Established Member
What about Slough platform 6? I don't think there are any booked workings into this platform.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Might be hard to get a train into platform 6 at Slough these days ;)

(As it might damage the OHLE or platform extensions)

Ah, forgot about that! :oops:
I take it it belongs in the same category as Reading platform 16.

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
I guess platform 16 at Reading was one of the old bays removed during the remodeling from a few years ago?

Yes, was originally numbered 6, but was renumbered when the new platform 4 opened (existing 4 became 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.