• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Wanderer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thewanderer

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm recently after discovering this site, been lurking for a while. I would like for all of you to visit my fotopic site http://thewanderersirishrailphotospot.fotopic.net/ which contains 100 photo collections, mostly of the ever changing Irish Rail scene but also of the UK and Europe.

Please feel free to come along and pay a visit.

Cheers,
The Wanderer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
its really good to see the irish rail scene,not something you always see, some very good photo's in your collection.

Thewanderer

Established Member
its really good to see the irish rail scene,not something you always see, some very good photo's in your collection.

Glad you liked them westcoast. The railways of Ireland are undergoing massive change at the moment so its good to be out there recording the changing scene. I try and get updates to my site at least once a week.

The Wanderer.

Craig

Established Member
Interesting photos. I've always wanted to take a trip over to Ireland to photograph/travel the trains there (and sample the Guinness).

Established Member
Glad you liked them westcoast. The railways of Ireland are undergoing massive change at the moment so its good to be out there recording the changing scene. I try and get updates to my site at least once a week.

The Wanderer.
Massive change - annihilation of the crank interest at least for me :(

Thewanderer

Established Member
Hi 87015,

The Irish Mk4's have the potential to be an excellent coach, while the ride quality isn't up to scratch yet on some vehicles this is down to excessive wheel wear which I understand is being investigated by CAF.

Interior wise I think is OK, very neutral colours. The seats do seem hard at first when you sit in them but after a few minutes you wouln't notice. I travel to work on them most mornings and I can assure you I've had some fine snoozes on them!:razz:

The Wanderer.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I've just uploaded 25 photos from a trip to various locations in Kildare and Laois today.

Included are:

Various 201 class locos on Mk2 and Mk3 passengers.
087 and 088 on the 1220 Waterford - Ballina Norfolk.

Two things I did miss were 142 + 149 LE Portlaoise - Inchicore which passed Monastervin at 1000 am and 187 + 134 on a Portlaoise - Waterford Per Way train which I spotted from the M7 overbridge at Cherryville. Oh well....

The link to the collection is
http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/p47058354.html

The Wanderer.

P.S. Eh any chance of a Mod explaining how these two posts are merging?

Thewanderer

Established Member
The new IE timetable was introduced on Sunday 9th December. There is one additional service into Heuston on weekdays, this being a 0630 Portlaoise - Heuston, Pictures of the Push / Pull on the first working can be found in the Gallery.

Monday afternoon in Connolly provided a few hours entertainment. Coach 9208 in the new Enterprise garb was on the 1320 to Belfast, shortly after that left 083 arrived hauling an Enterprise rake plus a very dead 207 on the rear. This had been working the 0935 Connolly - Belfast and it failed at Dundalk. As a result of this 111 plus 4 Mk2f (Gatwick) + Mk2B Gen Van made an appearance on the 1230 Belfast - Connolly, returning empty to Belfast at approx 1835. 233 replaced the failed 207 and went back on to diagram with the 1520 Connolly - Belfast. Shortly after the Gatwicks arrived No. 160 arrived into Connolly with an EMU transfer ex Fairview.

Pictures may be found at http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/c1422422.html

The Wanderer.

Thewanderer

Established Member
Later today (Wednesday 19th December 2007), the first of Iarnrod Eireann's new Cl. 22000 Intercity Multiple Units will enter service on the Dublin - Sligo route bringing in a new era of rail travel in Ireland.

Let the Revolution begin.....

http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/c1426315.html
The Wanderer.
Photos from the launch of the new 22000 Class DMU's at Connolly are now uploaded to http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/c1426315.html

Enjoy.

The Wanderer.

Thewanderer

Established Member
Evening all,

I updated my gallery with the wanders of the past week. Photos in this collection show 22006 + 2202 on their 2nd day of operation on the Sligo line, again with the 1105 departure from Connolly on Thursday.

Friday shows some mid-morning activity at Heuston.

With the start of an era last Wednesday on the Dublin - Sligo route, another era came to a close on Sunday 23rd December, when locomotive hauled passenger services ceased on the line after an Indian summer since March 2007, caused by the opening of the Docklands Station. 081 and 7 Mk2's (5203, 5106, 5159, 5227, 5102, 5403, 5602) made the final trip on the 0855 Sligo - Connolly. I travelled to Dublin early this morning and caught 22006 + 22002 working the 0805 Connolly - Sligo (a pleasant surprise) to Dromod where a quick dash over the icy footbridge was necessary to pick up 081 on her final Passenger working on the Sligo route. There were only about 10 Irish enthusiasts on the train, most of them joined at Sligo, also several enthusiasts were observed out photting the final working. All in all the end of an era for Connolly as its 35 year association with Mk2's comes to a close and today also marked the end of regular slam door operation into the station.

Photos can be found at http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/c1428568.html

May I take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy Christmas and a merry new year. Lets hope 2008 will be just as interesting as 2007 turned out to be.

The Wanderer.

Thewanderer

Established Member
The last update for 2007 includes:

The new Enterprise livery on the Buffet and First Class Vehicles.

Portarlington area with 201 and roarer 082.

22002 + 22006 on Sligo line duties.

thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/

Happy New Year.

The Wanderer.

Thewanderer

Established Member
Today Tram 3013 failed in Connolly, so Tram 3023 was sent to assist and tow it back to the Red Cow Depot. Pictures of the pair at Connolly before departure can be found at:

http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/c1084819_73.html

C3K 3003 had an overnight stay in Connolly last night and pictures of it in Connolly Yard alongside its 29000 cousins can be found at
http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/c1433261.html along with the first evening peak 22000 working on the 1705 Connolly - Sligo.

The Wanderer.

Thewanderer

Established Member
Photos from the last 3 days have now been uploaded to the site. Highlights are:

A circular trip around Ireland.

The first 22000's passenger working on the Limerick - Dublin route.

2700's in Enniscorthy.

Night time snow at Kildare.

Various 22000 pictures from the Friday and Saturday.

088 at Portarlington on the 1325 Limerick.

As usual photos may be found at: http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/c1433261_1.html

Enjoy!
The Wanderer.

Thewanderer

Established Member
The 2nd week of 2008 opens with a few more shots of the Intercity DMU's with 22004 + 22003 captured on their 2nd working in passenger traffic arriving at Connolly.

I spent Friday Lunchtime standing on "The Box" at Islandbridge Jct to observe the comings and goings in Heuston, which produced the unusual sighting of a 3 Pce Hauled Push / Pull to Limerick.

Photos can be found at http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/c1439756.html

Enjoy!

The Wanderer.

Established Member
The 2nd week of 2008 opens with a few more shots of the Intercity DMU's with 22004 + 22003 captured on their 2nd working in passenger traffic arriving at Connolly.

I spent Friday Lunchtime standing on "The Box" at Islandbridge Jct to observe the comings and goings in Heuston, which produced the unusual sighting of a 3 Pce Hauled Push / Pull to Limerick.

Photos can be found at http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/c1439756.html

Enjoy!

The Wanderer.
Load 3 Dublin-Limerick, whats all that about? Just a shortage of sets somewhere or preparing passengers for new short DMUs? Bet that was cosy on the return (IF it still does 1740ish Limerick-Dublin back) as that was often a fully wedged load 7/8 Mk2 set in my experience...

Presume the Limerick donkey set doesn't live there as spares or anything anymore?

Thewanderer

Established Member
Load 3 Dublin-Limerick, whats all that about? Just a shortage of sets somewhere or preparing passengers for new short DMUs? Bet that was cosy on the return (IF it still does 1740ish Limerick-Dublin back) as that was often a fully wedged load 7/8 Mk2 set in my experience...

Presume the Limerick donkey set doesn't live there as spares or anything anymore?

God 87015 its been a while since you crossed the water! The Limerick - Limerick Jct P/P Shuttle hasn't run since 2003 when 2700 DMU's took over.

There was a good crowd on it but nobody standing from what I could see. The 1325 Heuston - Limerick and 1735 return would never have high loadings on it. With a tad under 200 seats available this should suffice more than enough for the business on offer.

From obs today it would seem that this set is a "scratch set" which has been made up using spare vehicles, I would guess to cover a gap with the continued decline of the Mk2's and before the introduction of more 22000's.

Our Mk2's are really in a state and being a daily commuter on them I tell you it isn't a nice experience. IE are in a mad hurry to get rid of them and not before time, god forbid if they were invovled in an accident I wouldn't like to see the outcome, let alone be on the train at the time. This last week I have found myself getting the 22000's home on the 1725 Limerick, its luxury compared to a Mk2 these days.

Established Member
late 2003 I think was my last trip - lost the impetus to go over since the end of 141 workings around Limerick and out of Cork - loved doing them. Have been back since but only in a non-cranking capacity, perhaps I'll get back over again but without the baby GM workings it doesn't hold the interest - 071s on the mainline are good I'd always rather have a 141 and load 2 on the Bally or Ennis. Its an expensive place these days aswell!!

Good pics though, even if its all a demise to me I can see the modernisation coming off.

Some of the Mk2s were getting into a bit of a state when I was over there so can well imagine what they are like now! Have many cravens been saved, I am eagerly awaiting the chance to have a spin behind the Mk1 steam vans which have made there way back over here :smile:

Apologies for all the questions - as you can see I'm somewhat out of date

Thewanderer

Established Member
No problem with all the questions!

The pace of change in Ireland over the last 5 years has been quite amazing. The days of Cravens from Cork to Kerry out out of Limerick "across the bottom" to Rosslare, it was like another railway. I miss those days also, but I can honestly say the change has been for the better with the DMU's as more frequent services have been introduced. For example Ennis now has 8 trains a day, Tralee has 9 trains a day each way, during the day all operate under a 2 hourly clockface timetable, only the start and tail end of the service isn't clockface. Nenagh is set for improvement later this year and Limerick Junction - Waterford now has 4 services a day in each direction. Quite a change from a few years ago when it had 1 train a day during the Winter and 2 in the Summer.

The RPSI have preserved a rake of Cravens, 9 I think plus 2 BR vans. Some have entered service and are being used in the RPSI Wooden Bodied set based in Dublin. 2 others are undergoing overhaul in Mullingar, while the balance is in Inchicore works in Dublin. The Cravens were in a better condition when they were withdrawn compared to the Mk2d.

Well I do hope that run down has been of some use to you.

Regards,
The Wanderer.
Photos from today of 075 on the 1210 North Wall - Waterford Timber, 071 on the 1130 Galway - Heuston with one of the few remaining Mk2 sets, an interesting sequence at Portarlington and a few other bits and bobs. Photos available at: http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/c1439756_25.html

The Wanderer.

Thewanderer

Established Member
The round up of pictures this week includes:

072 on passenger duties, then finding its self on more mundane EMU transfer work te following day.

Delivery of Refurbished 8100 Class EMU's.

A saturday afternoon near Portarlington waiting on 085 to appear with a crippled Mk2 coach, also seen were 2 Mk3 P/P sets and 2606 + 2615 on the Manulla Jct - Connolly DMU transfer.

http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/c1443981.html

Thewanderer

Established Member
I have now uploaded photos from my 5 day rover of the UK, where I visited London, Doncaster, Ipswich, Fort William, Inverness and Holyhead. Pictures can be found at http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/
The galleries are broken down into day by day. This should make it easier to browse them.

I hope you enjoy them.

The Wanderer.

Status
Not open for further replies.