• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The weird way to travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
License plate? Is that thing street legal? That'd be awesome to drive down the motorway! Be better with a HST on the front though!

Death

Established Member
Hi Galvanize! <D
If I remember rightly, that vehicle was built and used in the one day Travelcard advertisements of the mid 80s. The advertising slogan in use at the time was "Travelcard: Half tube, half train, half bus". :toothy10:

I believe that the adverts were screened quite a lot in the old Network Southeast area, back in the good old days where a Travelcard actually worked out cheaper than a days worth of penalty fares! :tongue:

As for the vehicle itself: The adverts showed it passing along Hungerford Bridge, through Leicester Sq. tube station and across Westminster Bridge. Although I don't know about the tube/rail bits of the advert, the road bit (Bus) would have been done in a roadgoing vehicle as editing techniques were a bit basic back then. :smile:

Farewell, and hope this was interesting! <D
>> Death <<

Death

Established Member
http://jimmyshengukbuses2.fotopic.net/p37373534.html
:o someone got a pacer and turned it into a bus! ;)
Ironically enough, I've probabally ridden that thing! (The registration number looks very familiar.)
Alder Valley used to be my local bus operator before Stagecoach bought them out in 1990 or thereabouts, and ran services as far as Oxford, London and the south coast - All from their Aldershot depot, too! :grin:

Someone got a bus and turned it into a train!
http://www.the-siding.co.uk/others/pages/railbus.htm (Photo courtesy of Dad...)
Must admit that I couldn't ever see the point of those things. If they'd have been standard road buses capable of also running along railway or tram lines, then I would understand...Maybe it was an early BR "rail link" initiative? :happy8:

Can't see where that was taken, but they've been doing something like that in the Vehrkersverbund Rein Rhur area for years. I've actually ridden one of their buses for the whole route out of curiosity, and the switchover from diesel to catenery power and vice versa is pretty much flawless: One engine off, the other on...Simple! :smile:

Indeed...On the subject of trolley buses: Wouldn't they work much better and be more reliable if they used a single tram style pantograph and just set a steel strip in the bus lane for current return? 8-)

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

compsci

Meanwhile in Cambridge someone is taking what was a perfectly good (if a bit rusty) railway line and turning it into a (mis)guided bus. The county council haven't realised yet that the buses will spend so long stuck in traffic in Cambridge city centre that most of the benefits of the busway will be negated,

Status
Not open for further replies.