• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Wessex,Lymington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian G

Established Member
Today makes a good start by leaving the house at 10:20 and heading to West Brompton
i realized that i can't buy tickets from West Brom. straight to Lymington :(
so instead i get a single ticket to waterloo
so i arrived at waterloo with 10 minutes left for the 11:05 1B29 for Poole which was on platform 8 formed of a 5 car Wessex!!
so i boarded the wessex and stayed on it until Brockenhurst,
so i got off at Brockenhurst and waited for the 12:59 Slammer service for Lymington Pier 1J29 but i went on it Lymington Town, as my ticket was for Lymington Town , so i got off at Lymington Town and waited for 13:16 Slammer 1J30 to Brockenhurst,
i get off at Brockenhurst {obviously!} and waited for the 13:39 Wessex Electric service to London Waterloo which i got off at Southampton Central and started taking pictures of trains, i saw two Posh Duffs 57 both Freightliner-Quality and Challenger 57004 and 57011
and saw a 3car 158?
and took the 15:00 back to Clapham Junction on a 10car Wessex

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
Wessex trains has temporarily improved service by leasing more complete 158's, then splitting them and adding a car to existing units to create more capacity on more trains

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Why not go to Lymington Pier?

3-car 158s, all fine and good, but the last three they had planned haven't been formed yet (960, 969, 970), or just don't run to Cardiff much!

What is concerning is not being able to buy single tickets from West Brompton. Although why you wanted a single when you were going back I don't know.

Julian G

Established Member
FGWFan said:
Why not go to Lymington Pier?

3-car 158s, all fine and good, but the last three they had planned haven't been formed yet (960, 969, 970), or just don't run to Cardiff much!

What is concerning is not being able to buy single tickets from West Brompton. Although why you wanted a single when you were going back I don't know.
i wanted to buy a return from West Brompton but i couldn't so i went to Waterloo instead :(
my ticket said London Terminals to LYMINGTON TOWN

clagmonster

Established Member
You should have asked for Lymington Pier, it would almost certainly have been the same price. I still can't see why you couldn't buy West Brompton-Lymington savers though.

Julian G

Established Member
clagmonster said:
You should have asked for Lymington Pier, it would almost certainly have been the same price. I still can't see why you couldn't buy West Brompton-Lymington savers though.
i bought the ticket from the ticket machine at Waterloo
as at West Brompton i couldn't :x

Julian G

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
Why use the machine? Just ask them at the ticket counter!
because i only had 5mins for the 11:05 train
and there was a long crew for the counters

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1288gaje said:
i realized that i can't buy tickets from West Brom. straight to Lymington :(
Yes, you can. I checked at thetrainline.com. If the ticket office is closed you can get a Permit to Travel. Then ask the conductor on the train for a ticket from West Brompton to Lymington, or get it swapped at Clapham Jn
1288gaje said:
so instead i get a single ticket to waterloo
so i arrived at waterloo with 10 minutes left for the 11:05 1B29 for Poole which was on platform 8 formed of a 5 car Wessex!!
so i boarded the wessex and stayed on it until Brockenhurst,
so i got off at Brockenhurst and waited for the 12:59 Slammer service for Lymington Pier 1J29 but i went on it Lymington Town, as my ticket was for Lymington Town , so i got off at Lymington Town and waited for 13:16 Slammer 1J30 to Brockenhurst,
You should've asked for Lymington Pier, but having made that mistake it doesn't matter, just ask for an XS (Excess ) to Lymington Pier. the price would be negligible, and in any event I think the conductor would probably not mind and just say "Stay on the train".

Did you ask him/her? I am sure they'd have been helpful.

By the way you don't need to go so far to see a slammer, there are still some slammers in the London area on SET!

How come you're not posting from Poland? You said you were going there on Friday. Flight cancelled? :?

Julian G

Established Member
i am at Poland ;)
i'm using a pc ,duh!! :)
currently i am 100km north of Warsaw :(

there are never conductors on my train

Status
Not open for further replies.