• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The White Rat

Status
Not open for further replies.

citycat

Does anybody remember reading French children’s books translated into English, about a French steam engine driver called the White Rat. In the books, he drove trains from Paris to Nancy or Strasbourg I think, and had various adventures alongside his trusty fireman.

I recall reading these books as a child but cannot find anything when I google the name. Can anybody help with a link or maybe the author of these books.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
In a similar vein, about 50 or 60 years ago I read books by Paul Berna translated from French. A while ago I was trying to find the one where unsupervised children played on an abandoned narrow-gauge railway and got some of it running... I can't remember any other details, Anyone got any ideas?

citycat

Not sure which one that is but probably features Gabby and his gang.

The first book in the series is The Horse without a Head by Paul Berna if it helps.

Calthrop

Established Member
The abandoned-railway book by Paul Berna: I read it -- @AndrewE, like yourself about 60 years ago (it was in the library at my preparatory school), translated into English, with the title of Line of Attack. I've forgotten the names of any of the characters; but I recall that it was set in Brittany (seemingly a favourite setting of the author's, though I gather he himself came from the South of France) -- the characters were the children of two traditional-mutual-enemy villages called Belmont and Camarec; the kids from one, managed to get working a diesel railmotor of the closed line, to use in mock warfare against the other crowd.

Googling attempt re Berna led me to mentions of various of his books; none there however, of the "railroading kids" one as above. @citycat: The Horse Without a Head (Le Cheval Sans Tete) has been -- per my Wiki and elsewhere findings -- translated under the title of The Hundred Million Francs -- and, again per those recent findings, is about a bunch of fairly rough, tough Parisian kids (Gabby & Co., as mentioned by you?) -- one would figure that the Bretons with their railway, would be different characters. I have a feeling that I might have read The Horse / The 100,000,000... -- later than at school circa 1960 -- but have absolutely no memory of my own, of the content.

Had never, before this thread, heard of Etienne Cattin and his White Rat books -- feel inclined to seek them out !

AndrewE

Established Member
The abandoned-railway book by Paul Berna: I read it -- @AndrewE, like yourself about 60 years ago (it was in the library at my preparatory school), translated into English, with the title of Line of Attack. I've forgotten the names of any of the characters; but I recall that it was set in Brittany (seemingly a favourite setting of the author's, though I gather he himself came from the South of France) -- the characters were the children of two traditional-mutual-enemy villages called Belmont and Camarec; the kids from one, managed to get working a diesel railmotor of the closed line, to use in mock warfare against the other crowd.

Googling attempt re Berna led me to mentions of various of his books; none there however, of the "railroading kids" one as above. @citycat: The Horse Without a Head (Le Cheval Sans Tete) has been -- per my Wiki and elsewhere findings -- translated under the title of The Hundred Million Francs -- and, again per those recent findings, is about a bunch of fairly rough, tough Parisian kids (Gabby & Co., as mentioned by you?) -- one would figure that the Bretons with their railway, would be different characters. I have a feeling that I might have read The Horse / The 100,000,000... -- later than at school circa 1960 -- but have absolutely no memory of my own, of the content.

Had never, before this thread, heard of Etienne Cattin and his White Rat books -- feel inclined to seek them out !
Thanks very much both... googling led me straight to http://forums.abebooks.de/discussions/AbeBookscouk_Community_Forum/_/_/abeUK/3600.1?dbg=6&mobile=y and it's interesting that people there also assumed (misremebered) that it was by Berna. Actually 'Line of Attack’ by Michel Bourguignon!

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks very much both... googling led me straight to http://forums.abebooks.de/discussions/AbeBookscouk_Community_Forum/_/_/abeUK/3600.1?dbg=6&mobile=y and it's interesting that people there also assumed (misremebered) that it was by Berna. Actually 'Line of Attack’ by Michel Bourguignon!

"The plot thickens" -- all most interesting. There are more of these French kids'-adventure-story authors, than I'd imagined. Stereotype-and-cliche department; one tends to envisage the French as a bunch of rather rarefied and "precious" intellectuals, not inclined to lower themselves to such banal material catering to young readers, as children having adventures and thus trespassing on adult realms -- they'd consider that as stuff suitable for the Brits, whom they're apt to regard as a nation of (doubtfully) grown-up children. Not completely so, we learn ! It would still seem hard to imagine a French Arthur Ransome...

Status
Not open for further replies.